Poll

An AD deal is essentially agreed upon with Tatum + Picks + some extra salary filler (Yabusele). But the Pelicans want another young player in return. Who do you deal?

Smart
42 (60%)
Brown
11 (15.7%)
Neither. That Would Be The Dealbreaker For Me (I'm Not Giving Up 2 Of Tatum/Brown/Smart)
17 (24.3%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Poll: In An AD Deal, If You 100% Have To, Who Do You Deal: Smart Or Brown?  (Read 5255 times)

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Of course, Ainge/Wyc should try to keep one of Tatum/Brown (maybe Brown because of fit), but if NOP demands both I feel like Boston will be obliged to give both.  Keeping Smart isn't a bad consolation, especially when the return is Davis.

I don't see why NOP could be in the position to demand both considering he's a rental AND it could depend on what other teams will have to offer for him. For example, what if NYK doesn't get the #1 pick? LAL plays hardball with their own assets?

The Lakers don't have anything as good as Tatum. New York could dangle that #1 pick but Boston's offer of Tatum, Smart, Yabu and 3 or 4 1st round picks is better I think...

Idk, the #1 pick to get Zion trumps Tatum, Smart, and four first round picks. He seems like a generational talent after all.
I have heard the generational talent label given to a bunch of high draft picks over the years that never got there. Zion is not a 100% sure thing.

That's true too. I've heard Wiggins was supposed to be the next LeBron, or KAT was supposed to be the next dominant big man in the NBA. They're hard to come, too.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Of course, Ainge/Wyc should try to keep one of Tatum/Brown (maybe Brown because of fit), but if NOP demands both I feel like Boston will be obliged to give both.  Keeping Smart isn't a bad consolation, especially when the return is Davis.

I don't see why NOP could be in the position to demand both considering he's a rental AND it could depend on what other teams will have to offer for him. For example, what if NYK doesn't get the #1 pick? LAL plays hardball with their own assets?

The Lakers don't have anything as good as Tatum. New York could dangle that #1 pick but Boston's offer of Tatum, Smart, Yabu and 3 or 4 1st round picks is better I think...

I think that #1 pick could be the most valuable asset in that group. But at the same time, I'm not too sure if the Knicks would even trade that. If they got #1, I think they are better off going after 1 of Kawhi/KD and 1 of Kyrie/Kemba to go with Zion.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline zeitgeist49

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
I don't believe the value of Brown and Smart us close. Brown has much more value. He's a much better shooter and has much more upside. I get that most fans on this forum love Smart and his tenacity on defense. However, I've never been so high on Smart. For all the great hustle plays Smart will make in a game, his poor shooting, stupid turnovers and lack of an inside game negate his positive plays. He does make some good assists though. But Smart is not a starting guard on a championship team. He's a role player on the bench. The Pelicans or any other team would jump at getting Brown and would value Smart much less. My preference has always been to keep our young core and not trade for AD. But if we had I would trade Tatum,  Smart and 3 of our draft choices. I would not offer BOTH Tatum and Brown.   

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I just assume Smart would be in a deal based on salary alone?

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I just assume Smart would be in a deal based on salary alone?

You could include either along with Tatum and the salaries would pretty much work out.

Including Smart just makes it "easier" since in that instance we may not need to give up like all our 2019 picks (signed and traded to account for salary).

Of course, there's the whole aspect of AD and his trade kicker. If he waives it, we send out 21.6M and we're good. If he doesn't, then it's 24M, though if he doesn't it's probably a sign of his long term plans here in Boston (which is, "one and done")

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
If had to choose i deal brown, as smart has more value without having to be the scorer.  With AD, GH, and KI the scoring won't be the issue, but ball handling, passing, BU PG and defense have more value.  Also has the longer term reasonable contrat.

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Smart- no offense

None taken!    ;D

Not to mention Smart keeps getting injured at crucial times during the season. Like last season when he punched a picture.

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Smart....

Obviously I do not like this scenario but Smart is not that leaps and bounds better defensively over JB, but JB being younger has about a leapfrog or two from improving whereas Smart is almost the same player he is right now goin forward.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Haha - thanks for the credit Phantom. I was totally coming here to blast you for stealing my thread topic  ;D I was actually getting ready to reset the poll results to see where people stood now. TP for beating me to it.

For the record - the results on the last poll (took place at the end of January) had people preferring to send out Brown over Smart at 24-15. That is correct, more people preferred (at the time) to trade Brown than Smart. Perhaps with Brown's resurgence the number will skew in the other direction.

Other thread is below for reference:

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=98846.msg2613472#msg2613472

TP to you as well!  :laugh:

Looks like the results are a bit different now lol.

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I voted Smart, but I still prefer keeping Tatum and sending Smart and Brown instead.

RazzelnoDazzel

Before I’d get rid of Smart or Brown I’d attempt to get a 3rd team involved like the knicks. Next I’d even consider trading Hayward, if all that failed I’d then have to choose.....Smart and keep Brown.

RazzelnoDazzel

I voted Smart, but I still prefer keeping Tatum and sending Smart and Brown instead.

Trust me when you see AD you are going to realize he’s the same as Tatum but hits the shots.

RazzelnoDazzel

Correction... TERRY ROZIER

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Just doesn't make sense to give up more than Tatum and the picks plus whatever filler is necessary, if possible.

We're getting AD on a one year deal. It would be different if we had him locked up for 3 more years. Ainge can't mortgage most of our assets for a guy on a one year deal.

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Neither. You can take Tatum plus the MEM and SAC pick plus fillers. Might include Rozier via S&T though.

NOP doesn't have much leverage too. Lottery teams can offer something but Pelicans might want an established young prospect. They can play hardball and lose AD for nothing, just saying.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 03:08:32 AM by mr. dee »