Poll

An AD deal is essentially agreed upon with Tatum + Picks + some extra salary filler (Yabusele). But the Pelicans want another young player in return. Who do you deal?

Smart
42 (60%)
Brown
11 (15.7%)
Neither. That Would Be The Dealbreaker For Me (I'm Not Giving Up 2 Of Tatum/Brown/Smart)
17 (24.3%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Poll: In An AD Deal, If You 100% Have To, Who Do You Deal: Smart Or Brown?  (Read 5231 times)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Tatum and Smart. Keep Brown.

It’s hard for me to comprehend those fans who wouldn’t trade either, though. How do you watch the playoffs and conclude that we shouldn’t add a superstar?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
WHoops - voted Brown, meant to vote Smart. Marcus is the heart and soul of the team, but if he’s traded in the offseason, others will step up. The group can collectively add a bit more grit. We can make do.

At this point I’d almost prefer to keep Brown over Tatum in an AD trade. Brown is a better defender, more athletic, plays better off the ball and I think would be a perfect guy to slot in that starting role with AD/Kyrie/Hayward/Horford.
Lol...I did the same thing. Hit Brown by mistake because in my mind I was voting for who to keep.

So, there are two votes for Brown in the poll that should go to Smart.

So as of right now the poll should be

Smart 17
Brown 3
Other 5

You have to keep the better player. That player is Brown. He can give you defensively most of what Smart gives you but Brown is going to give you very good offense that, given he is only 22 and appears to be growing his offensive game every year, should only get better.

I want to see Brown posterizing the likes of Giannis, Durant, LeBron, Jokic, Embiid, Simmons and the like for many years.

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Smart. Easily. And I love Smart.

My issue with trading both Brown and Tatum (and likely losing Morris) is that we go from the wing position being our most talented and deep position on the roster to basically down to Gordon Hayward (who he himself is a massive question mark right now).

I have no issue giving up Tatum but not both Tatum/Brown.

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
Not sure why neither is an option. I don’t see a feasible path to matching salaries without 2 of the Tatum/Brown/Smart combo.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Of course, Ainge/Wyc should try to keep one of Tatum/Brown (maybe Brown because of fit), but if NOP demands both I feel like Boston will be obliged to give both.  Keeping Smart isn't a bad consolation, especially when the return is Davis.

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Smart in a heartbeat---cause he gets hurt EVERY year...Even this season, he was fine up until Game #82----Then he gets hurt for the playoffs.....I'm done with him.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I would hate to lose Smart, but keeping Brown over him is a no-brainer.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Of course, Ainge/Wyc should try to keep one of Tatum/Brown (maybe Brown because of fit), but if NOP demands both I feel like Boston will be obliged to give both.  Keeping Smart isn't a bad consolation, especially when the return is Davis.

I don't see why NOP could be in the position to demand both considering he's a rental AND it could depend on what other teams will have to offer for him. For example, what if NYK doesn't get the #1 pick? LAL plays hardball with their own assets?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 04:13:52 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

I don't see why NOP could be in the position to demand both considering he's a rental AND it could depend on what other teams will have to offer for him. For example, what if NYK doesn't get the #1 pick? LAL plays hardball with their own assets?

The Lakers don't have anything as good as Tatum. New York could dangle that #1 pick but Boston's offer of Tatum, Smart, Yabu and 3 or 4 1st round picks is better I think...

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
WHoops - voted Brown, meant to vote Smart. Marcus is the heart and soul of the team, but if he’s traded in the offseason, others will step up. The group can collectively add a bit more grit. We can make do.

At this point I’d almost prefer to keep Brown over Tatum in an AD trade. Brown is a better defender, more athletic, plays better off the ball and I think would be a perfect guy to slot in that starting role with AD/Kyrie/Hayward/Horford.
Lol...I did the same thing. Hit Brown by mistake because in my mind I was voting for who to keep.

Smart 17
Brown 3
Other 5

You have to keep the better player. That player is Brown. He can give you defensively most of what Smart gives you but Brown is going to give you very good offense that, given he is only 22 and appears to be growing his offensive game every year, should only get better.

I want to see Brown posterizing the likes of Giannis, Durant, LeBron, Jokic, Embiid, Simmons and the like for many years.
I nearly went through the roof when he had his chance. That was going to be vicious. Not sure he'll get that kind of chance again.

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

The Lakers don't have anything as good as Tatum. New York could dangle that #1 pick but Boston's offer of Tatum, Smart, Yabu and 3 or 4 1st round picks is better I think...

Idk, the #1 pick to get Zion trumps Tatum, Smart, and four first round picks. He seems like a generational talent after all.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Smart 17
Brown 3
Other 5

I nearly went through the roof when he had his chance. That was going to be vicious. Not sure he'll get that kind of chance again.

He did pull it off once in that series, then tried it a second time

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Idk, the #1 pick to get Zion trumps Tatum, Smart, and four first round picks. He seems like a generational talent after all.

Just Zion alone? Maybe so.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Try to keep brown because he’s more talented than Smart. He brings way more offensively, has more size, and is still improving year on year. What gives me pause is that smart is already on a long term contract and a well-defined role, giving the team stability moving forward. Plus, he’s an outstanding locker room guy.

So the easy choice is keep brown but end of the day, I’m not sure if it’s the right choice from a team-building perspective.
- LilRip

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I have heard the generational talent label given to a bunch of high draft picks over the years that never got there. Zion is not a 100% sure thing.