Poll

BOS 94 TOR 87 (vote 3 for top player 2 for 3nd 1 for 3rd or split em however you like...please post an explanantion)

Rondo (4 pts 5 reb)
Rondo
Rondo
R. Allen (19 pts 4 reb)
R. Allen
R. Allen
Garnett (21 pts 10 reb)
Garnett
Garnett
Pierce (36 pts 4 3's 9 reb 4 ast)
Pierce
Pierce
Perkins (4 reb, one stare down with JO)
Perkins
Perkins
Powe (4 pts)
Powe
Powe
House (7 pts)
House
House
Big Baby (4 reb)
Big Baby
Big Baby

Author Topic: Game 8 MVP Poll Results: BOS 94 TOR 87  (Read 3675 times)

Game 8 MVP Poll Results: BOS 94 TOR 87
« on: November 11, 2008, 11:19:19 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
A wildly entertaining 2nd half made up for another serious clunker of a first half by the C's (first 3 quarters really).  The boys came out super flat again.  No problem...bench to the rescue again, right? 

Nope.

Not last night.  After looking dead legged and missing two layups and throwing up some serious bricks the Captain turned it on in a big way, as the C's erased a 16 point deficit. 

Some absolutely silly intensity from KG led the way on the defensive end and PP's shooting carried the load on offense.  You could actually see some signs of life in the 2nd quarter when KG was starting to get that frantic, crazy energy but it went by the boards as the C's were still doing zippo on offense.

Even after a spirited comeback by Boston, Toronto hung in there hitting 3 after 3 from Parker and Kapono, but the will of the champs would not be doused.  It was really a stunning display of mental focus by the C's.  1/10th  of that energy would have been nice from the get go, but a sweet win against a good Toronto team that sure looked they had the Celts number last night.

Props to Perk for quieting down a hot O'Neal with intimidation.

Bench be [dang]ed for 1 night.  In last night's 2nd half we saw exactly what we envisioned from the Big 3 when they were first assembled.  Rarely have all 3 been clicking simultaneously as they were in the latter stages of the game.  Beautiful to see.

My votes:  PP 3, KG 2 , Ray 1

If you need an explanation on the poll, make up your own rules and enjoy
;)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 12:47:22 PM by Redz »
Yup

Re: Game 8 MVP Poll: BOS 94 TOR 87
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 11:26:55 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Looks like it will be an all big 3 vote

3-PP
2-Ray Ray
1-KG

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 11:38:33 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
KG-3; PP-2; Ray-1

Declaration of vote:

In my view, KG was the best player on the floor last evening. He completely shut down Bosh and Toronto's high pick'n'roll. That's their bread and butter offense, scoring from Calderon's pick'n'roll and Bosh being doubled, they got lucky that Jermaine and the swingmen were playing out of their mind for most of the game. The way that Garnett was denying Bosh the ball and, at the same time, killing Calderon's drives was superb. I strongly disliked his finger waving (refs should have called a technical), I don't care a lot about his antics and screaming, but his defensive prowess, and especially his pick-and-roll defense, is a glorious chapter in the history of the game. Truly amazing.

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 11:45:38 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Voted the same as cordobes.

Pierce was certainly the man when the offense needed the spark, but I think holding Bosh to 9 points and shutting down the pick n roll was a much bigger part of this win, and KG get's more of the credit for that.  Also, as far as I can tell, Pierce's various defensive assignments all had pretty decent nights on offense.

Also don't really care for the finger waving and what not, but the C's needed a kick in the butt emotionally and KG gave it to them.  Can't argue with the intentions, or more importantly, the results.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 03:11:51 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Pierce 3
KG 2
Ray 1

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 04:29:07 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Pierce 3
KG 3

KG provided a the defensive pressure and spark that truly got the game turned around. Pierce finished it on the offensive end with an amazingly efficient fourth quarter. 22 points on 9 shots is ridiculous.

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 05:49:50 PM »

Offline KevinGamble

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • MWMWMWMWMWMW
big three all the way!  Not a lot of points anywhere else, right?  I remember last year there was almost some concern that none of the 3 were having good offensive scoring on the same night.  Well played!
ps.
I agree that the finger waging is too much.  Mind games are cool, but why not guard him back-pedaling on all fours or some other taunting that is more within the game. 

WHAT A GAME!
Go Celts!
"You're skating on pretty thin ice around here, McGee!"
"Sounds like the ice's problem."

2 for the Show!
GO CELTS!

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 05:51:32 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
KG gets 3pts. for sparking the starters with his emotions and tenacious D.Paul gets 2pts. for recognizing when it was time to get off offensively.  Ray gave them some extra punch so i gave him 1.

KG-3
Paul-2
Ray-1

*House gets an (honorary mention) 1pt. for his extra boost with short minutes.

Re: Game 8 MVP Poll Results: BOS 94 TOR 87
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 12:47:33 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

*MVP POLL RESULTS*
Game 8
BOS 94 TOR 87

YTD FINISHES                               
         GAME      YTD      1st      2nd      3rd   
   Pierce   
   Garnett   
   R. Allen   
   Perkins   
   Powe   
   Davis   
   House   
   T. Allen   
   Rondo   
   Voters: 20   
   YTD Voters: 135