Author Topic: Celtics (2-1) at Rockets (3-0) 11/4  (Read 27053 times)

Celtics (2-1) at Rockets (3-0) 11/4
« on: November 03, 2008, 09:46:54 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 

Boston Celtics (2-1) at Houston Rockets (3-0)Tuesday, November 4
8:30 PM ET
Game #4,  Road Game #2
TV:  NBA-TV, RTV, FSN Hou, CSN HD
Radio:  WEEI
Toyota Center 

Probable Starting Matchups

Point Guard
  vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Raefer Alston

Shooting Guard
   vs 
Ray Allen vs Tracy McGrady

Small Forward
  vs 
Paul Pierce vs Ron Artest

Power Forward
  vs 
Kevin Garnett vs Louis Scola 

Center

vs 
Kendrick Perkins vs Yao Ming 

Bench  
Leon Powe
Tony Allen
Glen Davis
Eddie House
Gabe Pruitt
Brian Scalabrine
Bill Walker
Sam Cassell

Injured
None

Probable Inactive
Sam Cassell
Bill Walker
JR Giddens

Bench
Aaron Brooks
Chuck Hayes
Carl Landry
Joey Dorsey
Steve Francis
Vaughn Wafer
Luther Head
Brent Barry
Injured

Shane Battier (foot)  questionable

ProbableInactive
Steve Francis

Key Matchups
  vs 
Paul Pierce vs Ron Artest is one of the best matchups in the NBA.  Artest will do anything to gain an edge including pulling Pierce's shorts down.  When Pierce is on, nobody can stop him so it makes for a very intense matchup between these two. 

vs 
Tracy McGrady is healthy and  once again a major weapon for the Rockets, averaging 18 points and almost 6 assists per game.  Ray's McGrady isn't known as a defensive stopper though and if Ray Allen can find his shot,  he could win this battle of shooters. 

Honorable Mention
Kendrick Perkins vs Yao Ming
While no one has the height to match up with Yao,  Perk has proved he has the strength to hold him off and bother his shots.  Yao is healthy and is averaging over 22 points and 11 rebounds per game.   Perk and the Celtics team defense will need to keep Yao from dominating inside. 

Game Notes
The Celtics lead the all time series between these two teams 83-39.  The Celtics swept the series last season for the first time since 1990-91.   The most notable win came in Houston where the Celtics ended Houston's 22 game win streak.

In the preseason, these two teams met in a very physical game which the Celtics won 90-89.  In the game, there were 4 technicals and a lot of elevated tempers.  Ron Artest showed why he is one of the dirtiest players in the league and will likely live up to that reputation in this game as well.  Surprisingly, Tracy McGrady seemed willing to take on Artest's style and gave a couple of hard hits as well.  Bill Walker gave the Celtics a spark in that game but it doesn't look as though Doc is going to be playing him in this game.

The Rockets had a very good team last season and they are deep as evidenced by their ability to withstand some critical injuries and still win.  With the addition of Ron Artest and Brent Barry, they are now figured by many to challenge for the title this season.  If they can stay healthy, they will definitely be among the favorites to come out of the West.  A rematch of the 1986 Finals could be on tap if everything goes as expected for these two teams.   

X-Factor
Road Woes -  With their beat down in Indiana, the Celtics have continued their struggles on the road that began in the playoffs last season.   Let's hope that the loss in Indy was a wake up call and the Celtics will bring their defense and their passing game to Houston.  If not, we may see another ugly game. 

Re: Celtics (2-1) at Rockets (3-0) 11/4
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 10:35:52 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Anytime you get Pierce v. Artest you know its gonna be an entertaining one.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 10:37:26 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Shall we suit up Bill Walker for the occasion?
Yup

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 10:39:23 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
McGrady isn't the type of defender that Ray can try to beat with his jumpshot alone, unless he's playing like Seattle Ray Allen.

I think Yao vs. Perkins will be the key match-up. If Perk can't stay out of foul trouble, and we have to go to the bench we're in trouble. Sticking Garnett, BBD, or Powe won't be enough to keep him out the paint. Garnett might have a chance, but he'll burn out quickly if he has to cover him for too long.

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 03:35:54 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible

Hehe, I hope so.

All McGrady incidents aside, Walker should be active ahead of Scal. Hands down. No questions asked.

Excellent job as always, FL.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 03:50:01 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
should be a good one, i expect a maximum effort from the C's, and i think the rockets may be the top team in the west if they can gel and avoid injuires.

should be a slobberknocker, the non-partisan fan in me wants to give the edge to the rockets because thier home.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 03:54:37 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I expect he Celtics will be prepared for this game after the long wait after the lose.

If Perkins gets into foul trouble early, Yao will become a major problem.

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 04:01:19 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
The Rockets haven't been playing so well as their record may indicate. Clumsy offense, with lots of ISOs. I think the C's have a good chance to win this game, as long as they bring their defensive intensity. 

Artest has been playing with their second unit. I'm curious to see who's going to be guarding him.

As others have pointed, defending Yao is crucial and we are short on that department.

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 04:28:25 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Should be pretty evenly matched, C's get the rebound win.

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 05:18:37 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Time to unleash Sky Walker.

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 05:48:10 PM »

Offline SportsCapNative

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
  • "No one Ever Really Dies"
Man, I'm hyped about this game. I had to hear all day about we were going to loose, ugh! The game needs to start like right now.

The Sports Capital of America

New England Patriots \\\'01 \\\'03 \\\'04 - Boston Red Sox \\\'04 \\\'07 - Boston Celtics \\\'08

I love Tony Allen!

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 06:31:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This game is going to be the perfect diversion from the election coverage that I expect to be on every other cable channel available including Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, Oxygen, The History Channel, National Geographic, oh, and one or two news channels and major networks.

I am interested in seeing how this team(Houston) plays against a team that plays defense as well or even better than they do. I'm expecting an 80-75 game tonight with shooting percentages in the low fourties or high thirties.

Of course this means it will be a shoot out with both teams looking like they can't mix.

Can't wait to see Artest's reaction when he is T'ed up tonight because if there was ever a team that could induce a Ron-Ron breakdown because of the way they will play him, it is the Celtics.

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 06:33:11 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
This is 1 of 2 teams (Lakers the other) in the NBA, when healthy, that have equal talent to the Celtics. It should really gauge where this team is at.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 07:02:35 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Hehe, I hope so.

All McGrady incidents aside, Walker should be active ahead of Scal. Hands down. No questions asked.

For my money I'll take Scalabrine.  He is the better outside shooter and the better defender.  He also provides greater flexibility at the end of the bench, being able to play both forward positions.

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 07:16:41 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Hehe, I hope so.

For my money I'll take Scalabrine.  He is the better outside shooter and the better defender.  He also provides greater flexibility at the end of the bench, being able to play both forward positions.

walker must be an even more terrible outside shooter than i though, because over the last two years, scal couldn't sink a three on a 30' rim.

and air intangibles is scary enough at the SF, i don't need to see him defending the opposing 4.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion