Author Topic: (Hedo/JRich for Gortat/VC/Pietrus confirmed) Rumor: Arenas to Orlando Magic?  (Read 50517 times)

Re: Rumor: Arenas to Orlando Magic?
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2010, 04:07:20 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Blatche has some potential, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet against him. I just don't really like waht he brings to the game.
I also agree with this. I think Blatche is likely to fail ... but given his level of talent I'd want to see him in a positive situation before writing him off completely.

Isn't this called the "Anthony Randolph Approximation"?
No, different players.

Andray Blatche has some talent/potential to him ... but he also has major character issues and mentality problems ... He is the one is holding him back. Nobody else is. It's no-one else's fault. It's all on him.

In the right situation, someone might be able to get through to the knucklehead. Then again, maybe they can't. Maybe nobody can get through to Blatche and he wastes away his career. And even if someone gets through to him, he'll never fulfill his potential, he'll never become the player that he could have become (with his athleticism and skill level, he could have been a Top 15 talent) but he could yet become an above average starter or possibly become a notch below All-Star level.

Anthony Randolph, on the other hand, is a stud. The only thing holding him back is time.

Re: Arenas to Orlando Magic?
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2010, 04:07:48 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
From what I've seen out of Gilbert this move would really hurt the Magic. I've only watched the Wizards three games however....

I don't see how Arenas could be any worse than Tank Carter.

4 years versus 1 year.  

Carter can shoot over 40%

Carter isn't averaging over 3 to a game.  

All true.  But if Arenas is motivated and healthy, I still take him over the current incarnation of wince every time...and its not even close.  

Arenas has a lot of crazy in him, but he is also a heck of a basketball player...and he has a killer instinct and flare for the dramatic that Wince left in Toronto a long time ago.  

If I were a team that really wanted to swing for the fences to try to step up to the next level, I think Arenas would be a very intriguing player, even with the contract.  

...although I will say, I find it really hard to believe that Orlando is this desperate right now.  With the possibility of guys like Chris Paul and Carmelo hitting the block later this year...or even Andre Igoudala, I can't imagine they are going to cash in their chips right now for someone as unpredictable as Arenas.  

In case you didn't notice, the Hornets are doing pretty good. I don't see Paul going anywhere, unless things turn south quickly.

Iggy is a real possibility though, but not sure Orlando has the assets to bring him in. No one wants any part of Lewis's ridiculous contract, and Vince's only value is his expiring deal. Maybe that could net you a head case "take a chance and hope for the best" guy like Arenas, but it won't get you Iggy, that's for sure. Same goes for Anthony.

So unless their willing to ride out the year as is, and hope to land one of those guys in FA, Arena may be the best (only) move they can make right now.

Yes, I know NO is doing well...but that does not make it impossible that a trade couldn't happen later in the year.  

As for what the Magic could offer...they do have some assets.  Nelson, Reddick, Pietrus, Gortat all have some value.  And players like Paul and Carmelo have a lot of say in where they get traded, since teams will not trade for them if they aren't going to be happy.  Basically, stranger things have happened.

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2010, 04:13:11 PM »

Offline Sizzlack

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
From what I've seen out of Gilbert this move would really hurt the Magic. I've only watched the Wizards three games however....

4 years versus 1 year.  

All true.  But if Arenas is motivated and healthy, I still take him over the current incarnation of wince every time...and its not even close.  

Arenas has a lot of crazy in him, but he is also a heck of a basketball player...and he has a killer instinct and flare for the dramatic that Wince left in Toronto a long time ago.  

If I were a team that really wanted to swing for the fences to try to step up to the next level, I think Arenas would be a very intriguing player, even with the contract.  

...although I will say, I find it really hard to believe that Orlando is this desperate right now.  With the possibility of guys like Chris Paul and Carmelo hitting the block later this year...or even Andre Igoudala, I can't imagine they are going to cash in their chips right now for someone as unpredictable as Arenas.  

In case you didn't notice, the Hornets are doing pretty good. I don't see Paul going anywhere, unless things turn south quickly.

Iggy is a real possibility though, but not sure Orlando has the assets to bring him in. No one wants any part of Lewis's ridiculous contract, and Vince's only value is his expiring deal. Maybe that could net you a head case "take a chance and hope for the best" guy like Arenas, but it won't get you Iggy, that's for sure. Same goes for Anthony.

So unless their willing to ride out the year as is, and hope to land one of those guys in FA, Arena may be the best (only) move they can make right now.

Yes, I know NO is doing well...but that does not make it impossible that a trade couldn't happen later in the year.  

As for what the Magic could offer...they do have some assets.  Nelson, Reddick, Pietrus, Gortat all have some value.  And players like Paul and Carmelo have a lot of say in where they get traded, since teams will not trade for them if they aren't going to be happy.  Basically, stranger things have happened.

Fair enough. A package of Nelson, VC, Pietrus wouldn't be awful (Gortat's contract sucks too, doubt any team would take him on.) I still find it all highly unlikely, Anthony/Paul may have some say, but there's a limit to what a team will do.

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2010, 04:16:21 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

4 years versus 1 year. 

All true.  But if Arenas is motivated and healthy, I still take him over the current incarnation of wince every time...and its not even close. 

...although I will say, I find it really hard to believe that Orlando is this desperate right now.  With the possibility of guys like Chris Paul and Carmelo hitting the block later this year...or even Andre Igoudala, I can't imagine they are going to cash in their chips right now for someone as unpredictable as Arenas. 

As for what the Magic could offer...they do have some assets.  Nelson, Reddick, Pietrus, Gortat all have some value.  And players like Paul and Carmelo have a lot of say in where they get traded, since teams will not trade for them if they aren't going to be happy.  Basically, stranger things have happened.

Fair enough. A package of Nelson, VC, Pietrus wouldn't be awful (Gortat's contract sucks too, doubt any team would take him on.) I still find it all highly unlikely, Anthony/Paul may have some say, but there's a limit to what a team will do.
I don't think Chris Paul or Carmelo Anthony are realistic trade targets for Orlando.

The Magic do not have enough high level talent to offer up in exchange for them. Not enough prospects, draft picks or established stars. Only role players.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 04:35:44 PM by Who »

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2010, 04:19:20 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Blatche has some potential, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet against him. I just don't really like waht he brings to the game.
I also agree with this. I think Blatche is likely to fail ... but given his level of talent I'd want to see him in a positive situation before writing him off completely.

Isn't this called the "Anthony Randolph Approximation"?
No, different players.

Andray Blatche has some talent/potential to him ... but he also has major character issues and mentality problems ... He is the one is holding him back. Nobody else is. It's no-one else's fault. It's all on him.

In the right situation, someone might be able to get through to the knucklehead. Then again, maybe they can't. Maybe nobody can get through to Blatche and he wastes away his career. And even if someone gets through to him, he'll never fulfill his potential, he'll never become the player that he could have become (with his athleticism and skill level, he could have been a Top 15 talent) but he could yet become an above average starter or possibly become a notch below All-Star level.

Anthony Randolph, on the other hand, is a stud. The only thing holding him back is time.

Oh and I think it is too late for you. You've been seduced by Anthony Randolph's siren song and help defense potential. (all this, if it was not clear, is sarcasm)

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2010, 04:22:28 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I don't think there is anything to this rumour.

Otis Smith is too cautious to trade for Gilbert Arenas at this point. Arenas still needs to prove himself more -- conditioning wise, ability to stay healthy and performance on the court -- before Otis goes out on a limb and acquires him.

I reckon all Orlando is doing at this point is keeping tabs on Arenas and letting Washington know that they have a small amount of interest in him. And that they might revisit the idea of acquiring him somewhere further down the line.

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2010, 04:23:05 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

4 years versus 1 year. 

All true.  But if Arenas is motivated and healthy, I still take him over the current incarnation of wince every time...and its not even close. 

...although I will say, I find it really hard to believe that Orlando is this desperate right now.  With the possibility of guys like Chris Paul and Carmelo hitting the block later this year...or even Andre Igoudala, I can't imagine they are going to cash in their chips right now for someone as unpredictable as Arenas. 

Do you really think they have a prayer of landing either Paul or Anthony? 

Orlando's established "young" talent, Nelson and Gortat, are fast approaching 29 and 27, respectively, both older than CP3 and Melo. 

As for Carter's expiring contract, that's only valuable if they take on an albatross in return.  I bet they could get Iggy, but consider the contracts they'd have to take back in return (Brand anyone?) and would Iggy even fit their needs?
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2010, 04:30:21 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
As much as the idea of Blatche on the Magic interests me ... this is clearly a very bad trade idea for Orlando.

The Magic shouldn't go anywhere near Gilbert Arenas. He is unable to defend either backcourt position at a serviceable level + is too inefficient offensively. He is liability. The downgrade of Vince to Arenas (SG) or Jameer to Arenas (PG) is substantial and weakens the Magic considerably.

Also, the idea of giving up Rashard Lewis in this trade proposal should be a deal breaker. It's one thing to give up Vince for Arenas + Blatche but it's whole other kettle of fish to give up Rashard too.

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2010, 04:40:26 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If they trade for Arenas it will cost them Dwight Howard when he's a free agent.

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2010, 04:48:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Simply awful trade for the Magic. Lewis and Howard are an excellent, complimentary, defensive oriented front court. Removing Lewis to input Blatche is a giant risk defensively that could cost Howard lots of playoff playing time as he fouls to compensate for the lack of defense being played by the immature and inexperienced Blatche.

Then getting rid of a "ball sticks on my hands, I take bad shots and am seriously overpaid" Vince Carter who has only one year left on his contract for a "ball sticks on my hands, I take bad shots and am seriously overpaid and have possible huge leg concerns" Arenas that has four years left on his contract is ludicrous in my humble opinion.

The only good thing Orlando is doing in this trade is getting rid of their completely brain dead decision of a draft pick, the stiff that is Daniel Orton.

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2010, 04:57:50 PM »

Offline Sizzlack

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
If they trade for Arenas it will cost them Dwight Howard when he's a free agent.

Then I hope they do it, and I hope you're right. Howard would look great in Green...

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2010, 05:18:46 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
The thing about expiring contracts is that their value to a team (or another team) is limited to the following situations:

A team that wants to dump a bad contract, or

A team looking to dump a good, but highly paid player to go in another direction.

No reason for Orlando to take a bad contract (on top of the ones they already have), and the # of teams looking to dump good players are pretty small.  [sidebar:  we got incredibly lucky in 2007]

Iggy is the only name that comes to mind, but his lack of outside shooting makes him undesirable in Orlando.

Rashard "worst contract besides Hedo" Lewis might be a decent deal.  The Wiz have shown a lack of depth at SF and could start him there (ahead of Al Thornton).  His shooting might open things up a bit for Wall.  I'd want a sweetener if I were taking on Arenas, though.

That's the deal:  Arenas and a pick for Rashard.  Vince goes elsewhere or expires.  Nelson/Arenas/Vince guard rotation this year.

Another idea:  Vince, Gortat, and 1st round pick from WAS as elements of a Melo deal.  Nelson/Arenas/Melo/Bass/Howard starting.  Reddick keeps his job.  Denver likes big guys, get pick and Vince's expiring.

Arenas/Melo are tougher mentally than Vince/Rashard.  They both play up to the moment, which is what the Magic are missing.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 05:24:44 PM by More Banners »

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2010, 05:33:56 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I dont know, I might be the only one who likes this for Orlando. Blatche has great potential can score and give the magic another rebounder to take off some of the load from Howard.

People forget that Arenas was once a 29 ppg guy, yes hes been injured yada yada... Thing is hes only 28 years old, he can score the basketball and would look good alongside Howard. I dunno, I think its a good deal... However, either way trade or not I still dont see either Orlando roster capable of winning a championship.

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2010, 06:07:54 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I think the Wizards would be best off if they stay bad for the next two years and accumulate as many assets as possible. Draft Picks and future rotation players should be their only concern, Rashard Lewis is not necessary.

In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2010, 06:31:12 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I don't totally hate this deal.  It's nice to think they could acquire someone better, but I'm not sure if that's the case. 

And I think it's pretty clear that unless the Celtics and Lakers get decimated with injuries, Orlando can't hang with them as presently constituted.  So to me, if I'm Orlando I roll the dice on this one.  Worst case they still can't beat the Lakers and Celtics and in the best cast Arenas fits like a charm and finally gives them the go-to scorer that they've so desperately needed. 

And by the way, not that anyone here needs to hear this again, signing Rashard Lewis to that monstrosity of a contract is absolutely killing them.  The guy is a borderline role player.