Author Topic: (Hedo/JRich for Gortat/VC/Pietrus confirmed) Rumor: Arenas to Orlando Magic?  (Read 50650 times)

Re: Arenas to Orlando Magic?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 03:12:39 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
After watching the last couple of Wiz games i started to see some of there main probelms.McGee is basically working alone to handle most of the rebounding and defending in the paint.Blatche plays when he feels like it and thats usually on the offensive end only.If they can dump him it would be better for their team.  
I don't think Washington can develop Blatche + McGee at the same time. They are both too flawed defensively.

Personally, I'd keep Blatche and move McGee in an effort to bring a defensive anchor to play alongside Blatche.

I think DC should jump right away if they can dump both players.  I rather have Lewis and his contract around Wall then those two. 

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 03:18:02 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
After watching the last couple of Wiz games i started to see some of there main probelms.McGee is basically working alone to handle most of the rebounding and defending in the paint.Blatche plays when he feels like it and thats usually on the offensive end only.If they can dump him it would be better for their team.  
I don't think Washington can develop Blatche + McGee at the same time. They are both too flawed defensively.

Personally, I'd keep Blatche and move McGee in an effort to bring a defensive anchor to play alongside Blatche.
At least McGee gives you 100%effort most nights but Blatche on the otherhand is gifted with more natural ability than McGee but as a GM he would make me suspect if his goals are on the same page with the rest of the team.He doesn't step it up in bigger situations.Example:approx.a week ago in the ATL they were getting beat down but he basically took himself out of the game midway.He doesn't play well aganist guys like Josh Smith(example)guys that challenge him on both ends of the floor.

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 03:18:42 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
From what I've seen out of Gilbert this move would really hurt the Magic. I've only watched the Wizards three games however....

I don't see how Arenas could be any worse than Tank Carter.

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 03:21:02 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

At least McGee gives you 100%effort most nights but Blatche on the otherhand is gifted with more natural ability than McGee but as a GM he would make me suspect if his goals are on the same page with the rest of the team.He doesn't step it up in bigger situations.Example:approx.a week ago in the ATL they were getting beat down but he basically took himself out of the game midway.He doesn't play well aganist guys like Josh Smith(example)guys that challenge him on both ends of the floor.
Give Blatche a strong coach + a team orientated veteran roster ... and then we'll find out whether his talent is salvageable or not.

Washington should be trying to build that environment around him.

I think it would be a mistake to give up on such a talented player without finding out the answer to that question first.

-----------------------------------------

In this trade rumour, Blatche would get that situation with SVG and the Orlando Magic.

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 03:23:41 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't think Washington can develop Blatche + McGee at the same time. They are both too flawed defensively. At the very least, they need to move one of them.

I think they should trade whichever of them will get Arenas out of the lockerroom.

Its a tough call, since Blatche is the better prospect, but he has some character concerns, while McGee seems like a really good kid, but has a limited future.  So, let the team they are trading with make the choice.  The one thing that they know is that neither of those guys is a real building block, so no need to let either stand in the way of getting what you want.

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 03:24:10 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
From what I've seen out of Gilbert this move would really hurt the Magic. I've only watched the Wizards three games however....

4 years versus 1 year.  

Carter can shoot over 40%

Carter isn't averaging over 3 to a game.  

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 03:25:47 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Give Blatche a strong coach + a team orientated veteran roster ... and then we'll find out whether his talent is salvageable or not.

I think it would be a mistake to give up on such a talented player without finding out the answer to that question first.

In this trade rumour, Blatche would get that situation with SVG and the Orlando Magic.

Every time they play hardball with Blatche, he ends up leaving. 

He is to immature. 

He is selfish.

ANd he is soft.  Did you see when he played against Howard?  He refused to go inside the foul line offensively. 

Re: Rumor: Arenas to Orlando Magic?
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 03:27:34 PM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
I think this is a bad, bad idea and a overreaction.

Vince Carter might not be a Lebron/Kobe/Pierce goto type of guy anymore, but he's a very serviceable shooter that buys into the system and fits in with what they are trying to do and he plays the positions they need, Gilbert dosnt.

I just can't see how Gilbert can help Orlando in a way that Carter cannot! and Blatch/Lewis that is a major gamble.. you know that Lewis is in a confidence/shotting funk but if he does emerge during the season out of that funk, the magic has a very leathal player in lewis, blatch on the other hand is a unknown, you dont know how he's going to respond to a better system with a winning mentality.

To many risks here for my taste, i would pass but you never know.. it might work!
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 03:32:02 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I don't think Washington can develop Blatche + McGee at the same time. They are both too flawed defensively. At the very least, they need to move one of them.

I think they should trade whichever of them will get Arenas out of the lockerroom.

Its a tough call, since Blatche is the better prospect, but he has some character concerns, while McGee seems like a really good kid, but has a limited future.  So, let the team they are trading with make the choice.  The one thing that they know is that neither of those guys is a real building block, so no need to let either stand in the way of getting what you want.
Agreed on all counts. I'd part with either one or both of them to get rid of Arenas + neither player should be considered a building block. Both players face too many hurdles that they need to overcome before reaching that point.

Blatche has some potential, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet against him. I just don't really like waht he brings to the game.
I also agree with this. I think Blatche is likely to fail ... but given his level of talent I'd want to see him in a positive situation before writing him off completely.

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 03:40:23 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112

Every time they play hardball with Blatche, he ends up leaving. 

He is to immature. 

He is selfish.

ANd he is soft.  Did you see when he played against Howard?  He refused to go inside the foul line offensively. 
I can see all you saying about Blatche...this is one of those times when i feel some guys would've benefited best by going to college first,regardless of his ability to play ball.

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2010, 03:41:33 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

4 years versus 1 year.  

All true.  But if Arenas is motivated and healthy, I still take him over the current incarnation of wince every time...and its not even close.  

Arenas has a lot of crazy in him, but he is also a heck of a basketball player...and he has a killer instinct and flare for the dramatic that Wince left in Toronto a long time ago.  

If I were a team that really wanted to swing for the fences to try to step up to the next level, I think Arenas would be a very intriguing player, even with the contract.  

...although I will say, I find it really hard to believe that Orlando is this desperate right now.  With the possibility of guys like Chris Paul and Carmelo hitting the block later this year...or even Andre Igoudala, I can't imagine they are going to cash in their chips right now for someone as unpredictable as Arenas.  

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2010, 03:44:26 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Blatche has some potential, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet against him. I just don't really like waht he brings to the game.
I also agree with this. I think Blatche is likely to fail ... but given his level of talent I'd want to see him in a positive situation before writing him off completely.

Isn't this called the "Anthony Randolph Approximation"?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2010, 03:53:19 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Carter's playing much better than Arenas at this point.  Makes no sense for the Magic.  I appreciate the idea behind trading in Carter for a more dynamic scorer/playmaker, but that's not Arenas right now. 

That Rashard Lewis deal looks worse and worse as time goes by.  If they had signed him for a fairer deal, he could at least be a trade chip.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2010, 03:58:35 PM »

Offline Sizzlack

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
If they move Lewis for blatche I think that would be a pretty serious downgrade.  Lewis and Howard are complementary offensive players with their inside outside game and are also both very good defensive players. 

Lewis plays defense??  :o

When did this happen?!

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2010, 04:02:11 PM »

Offline Sizzlack

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14

4 years versus 1 year.  

All true.  But if Arenas is motivated and healthy, I still take him over the current incarnation of wince every time...and its not even close.  

Arenas has a lot of crazy in him, but he is also a heck of a basketball player...and he has a killer instinct and flare for the dramatic that Wince left in Toronto a long time ago.  

If I were a team that really wanted to swing for the fences to try to step up to the next level, I think Arenas would be a very intriguing player, even with the contract.  

...although I will say, I find it really hard to believe that Orlando is this desperate right now.  With the possibility of guys like Chris Paul and Carmelo hitting the block later this year...or even Andre Igoudala, I can't imagine they are going to cash in their chips right now for someone as unpredictable as Arenas.  

In case you didn't notice, the Hornets are doing pretty good. I don't see Paul going anywhere, unless things turn south quickly.

Iggy is a real possibility though, but not sure Orlando has the assets to bring him in. No one wants any part of Lewis's ridiculous contract, and Vince's only value is his expiring deal. Maybe that could net you a head case "take a chance and hope for the best" guy like Arenas, but it won't get you Iggy, that's for sure. Same goes for Anthony.

So unless their willing to ride out the year as is, and hope to land one of those guys in FA, Arena may be the best (only) move they can make right now.