Author Topic: (Hedo/JRich for Gortat/VC/Pietrus confirmed) Rumor: Arenas to Orlando Magic?  (Read 50671 times)

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
The Orlando Magic have engaged the Washington Wizards in an ongoing trade dialog centered around Wizards shooting guard Gilbert Arenas, Orlando Pinstriped Post has learned. What Orlando would send Washington in return for the three-time All-Star is less clear, but the proposed deal likely includes shooting guard Vince Carter, according to a source. Wizards big man Andray Blatche, Magic forward Rashard Lewis, and Magic center Daniel Orton could also be involved.

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 03:05:20 PM by Fafnir »
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

Re: Arenas to Orlando Magic?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 02:39:03 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
From what I've seen out of Gilbert this move would really hurt the Magic. I've only watched the Wizards three games however....

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Stay away from Blatche, Otis...stay away..he's bad news, and he won't get Dwight's "jokes".

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 02:41:15 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
From what I've seen out of Gilbert this move would really hurt the Magic. I've only watched the Wizards three games however....

he can't be any worse than VC. If they get Blatche in the deal then this is a big upgrade for Orlando. Blatche next to Howard would be a tough matchup for any team.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 02:47:34 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

he can't be any worse than VC. If they get Blatche in the deal then this is a big upgrade for Orlando. Blatche next to Howard would be a tough matchup for any team.
Oh yes he can, look a his numbers this year:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tiny.cgi?id=7BnGS

And Gilber is a huge injury risk signed for another three years at all-star level money. Meanwhile Vince Carter is an expiring contract. Unless they're dumping Rashard taking on Gilbert's salary will kill their flexibility.

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 02:51:28 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think this is a dumb move by Orlando.

Why would you add such a contract next to Howard for the next couple of years with Arenas' history?

And adding Blatche?  Terrible.  Great for the Celtics as they add a MR. Softy out there who is incredibly immature.

I agree they could use a true number one offensive threat.  Arenas isn't one of those anymore. 

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 02:52:37 PM »

Offline Sizzlack

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14

I don't understand why the Wizards would give up Blatche, for what? Rashard "My contract would be the worst in the NBA if Hedo Turkoglu didn't exist" Lewis? Doesn't make much sense for them. I get you want to be rid of Arenas, I don't blame that, but that just wouldn't be smart.

Far as Orlando goes, Arenas is a better player than VC no doubt, but that's apples to oranges, VC is a SG/SF, Arenas is a PG/SG, the move would leave them a bit thin at the wing I think (JJ can't really play SF.) I'm also not sure how well Jameer and him would coexist. It's an interesting move, but I'm not sure how much it helps the team, and Arenas comes with some major risk due to his locker room troubles.

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 02:53:51 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I don't understand why the Wizards would give up Blatche, for what? Rashard "My contract would be the worst in the NBA if Hedo Turkoglu didn't exist" Lewis? Doesn't make much sense for them. I get you want to be rid of Arenas, I don't blame that, but that just wouldn't be smart.
Getting rid of Arenas is going to cost the team something. Better Blatche than a draft pick.

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 03:03:09 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
After watching the last couple of Wiz games i started to see some of there main probelms.McGee is basically working alone to handle most of the rebounding and defending in the paint.Blatche plays when he feels like it and thats usually on the offensive end only.If they can dump him it would be better for their team.  

If i was Orlando's GM i would look to replace J.Nelson and go with a pass first pg or one who can get the ball to D.Howard on a more consistent basis.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:08:42 PM by housecall »

Re: Rumor: Arenas to Orlando Magic?
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 03:04:27 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Blatche could be one heck of a get for Orlando. He is capable of playing good defense + a skilled athletic seven foot offensive threat with a post game alongside Dwight ... that could be really interesting.

By all means, Blatche would be a major gamble ... but that could play out well for Orlando.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 03:05:48 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
If they move Lewis for blatche I think that would be a pretty serious downgrade.  Lewis and Howard are complementary offensive players with their inside outside game and are also both very good defensive players. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 03:05:52 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
been anticipating this since the Melo/Paul "rumor" (speculation) popped up
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 03:06:26 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

I've caught a suprising amount of Wizards game, and I'd have to back you up. His shot selection has always been questionable, but its borderline awkward at points. The way the ball sticks to him is just terrible.

Blatche has some potential, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet against him. I just don't really like waht he brings to the game.

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 03:07:43 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
After watching the last couple of Wiz games i started to see some of there main probelms.McGee is basically working alone to handle most of the rebounding and defending in the paint.Blatche plays when he feels like it and thats usually on the offensive end only.If they can dump him it would be better for their team. 
I don't think Washington can develop Blatche + McGee at the same time. They are both too flawed defensively. At the very least, they need to move one of them.

Personally, I'd keep Blatche and move McGee in an effort to bring a defensive anchor to play alongside Blatche.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:14:10 PM by Who »

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 03:10:22 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Interesting.  If I'm Orlando, I want Hinrich as part of this as well though.  

Something like Arenas, Hinrich, and Blatche for Carter and Lewis makes some sense for both teams.

For Washington, they get salary relief, as well as some talented players to put around Wall.  And for Orlando, they take a swing for the fences with Arenas and Blatche, while also adding an excellent role player in Hinrich.  

I actually think Blatche would be a very good compliment to Howard up front, and you can slide Arenas into the starting SG spot, and have Hinrich as the 3rd guard coming off the bench.