Author Topic: Where's the best (and worst) places you ever traveled?  (Read 113825 times)

Re: Where's the best (and worst) places you ever traveled?
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2015, 08:05:38 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Anyone have any recommendations for what part of cape cod is the best?

I live in Harwich and lived/worked in Chatham for many years, so I'm partial to this area.  Every town on the C ape has its own unique personality and scenery though.  It really depends what you're looking for, and what you're budget is.  We life here year round and take weekend trips in the of Sean to Provincetown.  Really a gorgeous peace with unique architecture, . restaurants, art and certainly culture.
Yup

« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2015, 08:10:07 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Could you possibly be more specific?

« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2015, 08:10:36 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
anyone here ever travel from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon? With a kid? Tell me all about it. Please

Forget the kids, and take the wife to Sedona. Thank me later.

About 15 years ago my wife, daughters and I went to Sedona for 5 days and took a day at the Grand Canyon.  We stayed at a beautiful place called Enchantment Resort right in Boynton Canyon.  It was expensive, but the short stay made it affordable.  With 2 kids, 10 and 5 at the time, 5 nights worked perfect for us. 

The day at the Grand Canyon was strange.  Only about a 2-hour drive from Sedona (I think).  My younger daughter had a rough day (cranky and borderline tantrumy)-- later to tell us that the Grand Canyon scared her.  I thought GC was amazing, but to be honest after the first 30 minutes or so, I was past the thrill and the rest of the views were still amazing -- but in a way more of the same.  Not adventueous by nature we didn't do anything like the mule ride on the ridge or anything like that.  My wife and younger daughter were terrified; me and my older daughter were impressed but pretty much done with it after a few hours.  I suspect others loved the GC as it is unbelievable, but this was my take.

The Sedona trip overall though was VERY worth it.  Lots of walks, intersting wildlife (the kids liked that a lot), nice pool, etc...
We had almost the exact same experience. Enchantment and everything, but I wasn't a big Sedona fan at all.  But I could see how others could like it.

Loved both places.  Last time I was at the grand canyon I was much more adventurous.  Last year when I was in the west coast I couldn't even get another bear the cliffs edges.  I don't trust my balance as much anymore and I definitely did not like seeing my kid anywhere near the edge.

Sunsets at both places are asking the best I've ever seen, but I'll take my home here on Cape Cod for most gorgeous sunsets against anyplace on earth!

Yup

« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2015, 08:46:05 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

I live in Harwich and lived/worked in Chatham for many years, so I'm partial to this area.  Every town on the C ape has its own unique personality and scenery though.  It really depends what you're looking for, and what you're budget is.  We life here year round and take weekend trips in the of Sean to Provincetown.  Really a gorgeous peace with unique architecture, . restaurants, art and certainly culture.
Thx for the reply. I'm looking for something family oriented and around 2500-4000. Would prefer a part of the beach that had somewhat decent waves. And a decent town with shops for the wife.

I live on the other end of Massachusetts and normally vacation in southern Maine. Oddly I've never vacationed at the cape. And with all the different spots and options on the cape, it's hard to know which is best.

« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2015, 08:52:32 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Thx for the reply. I'm looking for something family oriented and around 2500-4000. Would prefer a part of the beach that had somewhat decent waves. And a decent town with shops for the wife.

I live on the other end of Massachusetts and normally vacation in southern Maine. Oddly I've never vacationed at the cape. And with all the different spots and options on the cape, it's hard to know which is best.

Orleans near Nauset beach would meet a lot of your needs.  Chatham would be nice for both doing and waves too, though you might have to watch out for sharks!  Really Nauset on down to Truro, on the CC National Seashore have the biggest waves.
Yup

« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2015, 09:12:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
anyone here ever travel from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon? With a kid? Tell me all about it. Please

Forget the kids, and take the wife to Sedona. Thank me later.

About 15 years ago my wife, daughters and I went to Sedona for 5 days and took a day at the Grand Canyon.  We stayed at a beautiful place called Enchantment Resort right in Boynton Canyon.  It was expensive, but the short stay made it affordable.  With 2 kids, 10 and 5 at the time, 5 nights worked perfect for us. 

The day at the Grand Canyon was strange.  Only about a 2-hour drive from Sedona (I think).  My younger daughter had a rough day (cranky and borderline tantrumy)-- later to tell us that the Grand Canyon scared her.  I thought GC was amazing, but to be honest after the first 30 minutes or so, I was past the thrill and the rest of the views were still amazing -- but in a way more of the same.  Not adventueous by nature we didn't do anything like the mule ride on the ridge or anything like that.  My wife and younger daughter were terrified; me and my older daughter were impressed but pretty much done with it after a few hours.  I suspect others loved the GC as it is unbelievable, but this was my take.

The Sedona trip overall though was VERY worth it.  Lots of walks, intersting wildlife (the kids liked that a lot), nice pool, etc...
We had almost the exact same experience. Enchantment and everything, but I wasn't a big Sedona fan at all.  But I could see how others could like it.

Loved both places.  Last time I was at the grand canyon I was much more adventurous.  Last year when I was in the west coast I couldn't even get another bear the cliffs edges.  I don't trust my balance as much anymore and I definitely did not like seeing my kid anywhere near the edge.

Sunsets at both places are asking the best I've ever seen, but I'll take my home here on Cape Cod for most gorgeous sunsets against anyplace on earth!
Seems odd, but I think my favorite place in AZ was maybe Meteorite Crater followed by Tombstone. I couldn't deal with those Grand Canyon busses driving so fast and so close to the edge with no railing

« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2015, 09:25:08 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

Orleans near Nauset beach would meet a lot of your needs.  Chatham would be nice for both doing and waves too, though you might have to watch out for sharks!  Really Nauset on down to Truro, on the CC National Seashore have the biggest waves.
TP. Thx again for the info and for the shark warning. If the wife gets her way, we may end up in middle cape. Are there any decent beaches there for waves. I would take anything that at least had a crash at the end of the wave. Just no slow rollers.

« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2015, 09:17:10 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
If anyone wants to escape the terrible winter, now is a pretty good time to book a holiday apartment in Mombasa. Maybe enjoy sea food dinner on a dhow. Maybe grab a quick game drive in the Tsavo East Good prices, great views. 
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2015, 10:53:53 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

TP. Thx again for the info and for the shark warning. If the wife gets her way, we may end up in middle cape. Are there any decent beaches there for waves. I would take anything that at least had a crash at the end of the wave. Just no slow rollers.
not too sure about beaches in that area e a. 
Yup

« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2016, 04:32:42 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Any of you ever been to the Vonn Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe VT? Any opinions?

« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2016, 05:08:13 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Greek islands... and not only mukonos and santorini...
Como lake
Paris
Moscow
Salzburg

« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2016, 05:29:20 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

not too sure about beaches in that area e a.
If you want decent waves, the Outer Cape is the place to be, starting at Orleans rotary and out to P-town. The National Seashore is wonderful.  We like Truro because it is quiet, and close to both the ocean and the bay beaches, yet accessible to P-town for shopping, restaurants and entertainment.

« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2016, 07:09:42 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Ok. Gettysburg. Pretty good.

« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2016, 07:35:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I've gone to Hawaii about 6 times with my wife, because she has family there.  I've visited most of the major islands (Maui, Oahu, Kauai and Big Island)...  I liked Kauai the most.  Probably Oahu the least.

My family went on a cruise to the Caribbean one year.  I liked Nassau, Bahamas by far the least.  The best was St. Maarten. 

Took a trip across Ireland.  I really enjoyed the small towns like Dingle.  Less so Dublin. 

Last year we took a trip to Tokyo, Shanghai and Beijing.   Definitely liked Tokyo the most.  Not anxious to re-visit Beijing.

I've traveled all around the States for work.  Probably boring for most of you guys since you likely live on the East Coast, but I really loved staying in Manhattan.  I see why people fall in love with that city, but it's probably easier to enjoy when you're spending most of your time discovering exciting restaurants/bars and seeing broadway shows.  I also really loved the work trip I took to New Orleans, but that was partially because it was in the midst of the Superbowl excitement.  I'd love to go back there.  Such an interesting scene and I really love music.    Maybe the worst place I've traveled for work was Southern Illinois.  Boring.  I also didn't really enjoy Dallas, but I might have visited the wrong spots.   I saw everything I'll ever need to see about Cleveland in a couple days.  There's nothing to do there, but it was surprisingly clean and casual.     

I really want to see more of Europe.  I think we might go to Italy next.  Maybe Northern Italy.  My wife wants to see Crete.  She also wants to visit Australia and Singapore.   We just got married and I'm not really sure where we'll have our honeymoon.  Open to suggestions. 

« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2016, 08:00:38 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Germany was the best place I have ever been.   I loved seeing the castles.

I been to Juarez, Mexico, easily the most dangerous place I have ever been.