Author Topic: Woj update on Sportscenter.  (Read 9104 times)

Re: Woj update on Sportscenter.
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2019, 09:43:09 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
My preferences are for Yabu to be elsewhere. I have no problem packaging him and a pick for someone on the late part of their rookie deal that still can grow but can contribute some now. Yabu is useless.

In that scenario, I have no problem bringing in 2 rookies for roster slots 14 and 15. But if Yabu remains, I only want one rookie on the team. Those last three slots should be for players you don't expect to contribute so best use it on players to develop that you can have regularly in Maine.

I think Williams is one of those players so the other two can be two rookies or Yabu and one rookie. I in no way want to see Yabu, Williams and 3 rookies, plus a couple of two way players on this team next year.
If you're planning on being a competitive team, your reserves can't be young guys who might give you a decent effort one night and nothing the next two.  You need veteran role players with skills you can rely on who accept their role and perform it consistently.   Too many guys on that bench right now are just taking up space - Yabu being one of them.  Wasted pick.
That’s why I’m scared of Danny’s drafting

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 09:44:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Nyk wants a first rounder for Frank Ntilikina

Get a young backup pg who is improving and a great defender.

Easy.
How exactly is he improving? He regressed in almost every measure besides FT% and turnovers
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2019, 09:45:14 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
What can we even get for our picks?

I seem to remember them having issues finding trade partners (Zizic and Yabu anybody?) in the past...

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2019, 09:47:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
My preferences are for Yabu to be elsewhere. I have no problem packaging him and a pick for someone on the late part of their rookie deal that still can grow but can contribute some now. Yabu is useless.

In that scenario, I have no problem bringing in 2 rookies for roster slots 14 and 15. But if Yabu remains, I only want one rookie on the team. Those last three slots should be for players you don't expect to contribute so best use it on players to develop that you can have regularly in Maine.

I think Williams is one of those players so the other two can be two rookies or Yabu and one rookie. I in no way want to see Yabu, Williams and 3 rookies, plus a couple of two way players on this team next year.
If you're planning on being a competitive team, your reserves can't be young guys who might give you a decent effort one night and nothing the next two.  You need veteran role players with skills you can rely on who accept their role and perform it consistently.   Too many guys on that bench right now are just taking up space - Yabu being one of them.  Wasted pick.
Oh I agree whole heatedly but since you can only have 12 guys active for a game, if I were managing a team, I would prefer those last three slots being taken up by developmental players. The team can add in some vets to be a part of the rotation or just outside it.

And if they do not see Semi as a rotational player next year, then move him too, though I do think they see Semi as a good 10th/11th man on the team

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2019, 09:58:12 PM »

Online Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533

Oh I agree whole heatedly but since you can only have 12 guys active for a game, if I were managing a team, I would prefer those last three slots being taken up by developmental players. The team can add in some vets to be a part of the rotation or just outside it.

And if they do not see Semi as a rotational player next year, then move him too, though I do think they see Semi as a good 10th/11th man on the team
If you could afford the luxury of keeping Semi around to play against Milwaukee that's probably the best role for him though if Morris leaves maybe he could grab a few more minutes. Unfortunately his offensive limitations may be what ultimately pushes him out of the league.

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2019, 10:06:19 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisgrenham/status/1140752136566923265?s=21

-Celtics"almost to the point of resignation" that kyrie is going to leave

-Celtics will try to trade at least 1 of the 3 1st round picks

Not a lot of insight there.

I mean, Danny is going to try to trade ALL of the picks, in various scenarios. I'm sure he's explored moving up, moving down, flipping for vets, you name it. It's what he does.

The question will be value. I've been trying to think of mid-level vets on reasonably short contracts that could be had for a late 1st. You can probably get Marcus Morris-type talent with 20 or 22.

The other option is a guy who's almost at the end of his rookie contract and has underperformed. Give him an audition. You probably don't want to give up anything but the 22nd pick for someone like that, especially since those guys tend to want big money if they have one good year (see: Rozier, Terry).

Ultimately we will hear a lot of scenarios and I think the most likely outcome is that we flip 22 and 14 to move up to 11, or something. The pool is so flat from 8-20, I bet there is someone Danny really wants in that group and he may have to move up to get him.

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2019, 10:17:18 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I don't want Danny to get anymore Yabusele/Ojeleye or any Olynyk/Rozier-type talent picks if he gonna keep those picks.

I want him to get Draymond Green/Pascal Siakam-type picks.  >:(

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2019, 10:22:01 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
What would people think of Yabu and 22 for Josh Jackson? Jackson could back up Jaylen Brown, be a secondary ball handler of the bench and play with any of the other wings. Phoenix is shopping him.

Tyus Jones might make sense in a similar deal.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2019, 10:26:09 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisgrenham/status/1140752136566923265?s=21

-Celtics"almost to the point of resignation" that kyrie is going to leave

-Celtics will try to trade at least 1 of the 3 1st round picks

Why do you need Woj to tell you this. Have I not been saying this for the last week or so?

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2019, 10:32:08 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
What would people think of Yabu and 22 for Josh Jackson? Jackson could back up Jaylen Brown, be a secondary ball handler of the bench and play with any of the other wings. Phoenix is shopping him.

I would love this. Jackson is obviously not the prospect he once was when Danny had to turn the plane around and go back home when JJ canceled the meeting, but he still has great upside and has two years left on his deal.

I remember being unsure of who to choose between Tatum and Jackson (I'm glad Danny made the right choice). I don't think Yabu and the 22 would get it done, but I would be very happy with this outcome.

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2019, 10:35:54 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I don't want Danny to get anymore Yabusele/Ojeleye or any Olynyk/Rozier-type talent picks if he gonna keep those picks.

I want him to get Draymond Green/Pascal Siakam-type picks.  >:(
We all want that, but there's a lot of luck involved with getting those type of players with mid to late round picks. Essentially that would be asking Danny to be able to accurately predict the future, no GM can do that.

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2019, 10:41:01 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

I would love this. Jackson is obviously not the prospect he once was when Danny had to turn the plane around and go back home when JJ canceled the meeting, but he still has great upside and has two years left on his deal.

I remember being unsure of who to choose between Tatum and Jackson (I'm glad Danny made the right choice). I don't think Yabu and the 22 would get it done, but I would be very happy with this outcome.

I also don't think that would get it done.  I think it would have to more be like 2 or 3 picks + yabu to get it done.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2019, 10:46:09 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Jackson can't shoot. Best case scenario is he becomes a SF version of Marcus Smart, imo. I wouldn't waste anything more than the 22nd on him, and that's if I was confident he wasn't a headcase.

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2019, 11:08:54 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Jackson can't shoot. Best case scenario is he becomes a SF version of Marcus Smart, imo. I wouldn't waste anything more than the 22nd on him, and that's if I was confident he wasn't a headcase.

He can't not shoot. He improved his 3pt% from 26.3% his first season to 32.4% last season. Also in college, he did shoot something like 38% from 3. He at least seems to have a foundation for shooting and is insanely athletic. There is a reason this guy went 4th. I mean, he likely won't reach the potential of a top 4 pick, but I'd like to think that things just did go well for him in PHX. Seems like he could be a decent 'buy low' prospect if he came in at the right price.

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2019, 11:12:42 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

He can't not shoot. He improved his 3pt% from 26.3% his first season to 32.4% last season. Also in college, he did shoot something like 38% from 3. He at least seems to have a foundation for shooting and is insanely athletic. There is a reason this guy went 4th. I mean, he likely won't reach the potential of a top 4 pick, but I'd like to think that things just did go well for him in PHX. Seems like he could be a decent 'buy low' prospect if he came in at the right price.

He was a decent, rhythm 3 point shooter at Kansas.  I watched a number of his games and he was streaky.  The thing that was impressive about him was he was a pretty relentless defender and attacker of the rim.  I haven't watched him much since going pro, but Jaylen Brown light maybe was a good comparison?  If we keep Brown, I don't know why we would go after Jackson, pretty similar types of players, but I think Jaylen is less of a knucklehead and has a higher ceiling and fits with Brad better.