Author Topic: Marcus Smart speaks out on officiating, heated exchange with Brad Stevens  (Read 8197 times)

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Over the top from Smart but at least he apologized....

He is our Modern Day KG - Fire and Desire.

Gotta take it or leave it with Marcus....at least he doesn't talk to himself on the court, punch himself in the head, head butt the basketball stanchions prior to the games or talk about Honey Nut cheerios lol....................

KG was in a class all his own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HbOLuUxDOw

Smart is definitely cut from KG and I LOVE him. He can be a mixed bag of cats at times but we already have an ADVANTAGE with him when we step on the court and the score is 0 - 0....opponents really don't know what to expect with him.

Your last paragraph describes Rodman more than KG.
I think with Rodman you can replace the word "opponents" with nobody.

Re: Marcus Smart speaks out on officiating, heated exchange with Brad Stevens
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2019, 10:22:23 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Much ado about nothing.

You don’t get Smart’s fire and intensity without both the good and bad sides of it. You see that with a lot of fiery players like Russ, Green, Bev, etc. I’ll take the 48 minutes of balls to the wall, laying it all on the line every night type of player that Smart is, even if it comes with the occasional blow up or dumb decision.

Not Brad’s biggest fan at all, but I think him and the coaching staff do a good job of handling Smart and recognizing how to best handle his character and personality. I think Brad even admitted this much last night saying you take the bad with the good.

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I was the one that called for Marcus to get an early shower in the game thread based on showing up his coach. I am also one of the voices that thinks Brad does not protect his players enough, and It is clear Smart alluded to this as part of his frustration. Come on Brad, you got to nad up to win a championship. Working the refs is part of coaching.

You speak my exact thoughts, last nite and today.

I actually agree with Smart's frustration with Stevens. Coach has got to chew hard on the officials some nights, same way he needs to chew on his players more at times. A little meaner and a little harder. Having said that, the public display practically right in Stevens' face by Smart is unacceptable. Yeah, Marcus being Marcus directed at officials and opponents and hotel room wall pictures, I can live with and often applaud. But you can't openly disrespect your coach and your coach can't let it go with "that's just Marcus and I sometimes." No.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2019, 12:17:57 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Brad Stevens response post-game,  "I've been yelled at before, and that's OK"

No, Brad, it is not ok. Typical attitude of the modern American adult, gotta be "understanding".
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I was the one that called for Marcus to get an early shower in the game thread based on showing up his coach. I am also one of the voices that thinks Brad does not protect his players enough, and It is clear Smart alluded to this as part of his frustration. Come on Brad, you got to nad up to win a championship. Working the refs is part of coaching.

You speak my exact thoughts, last nite and today.

I actually agree with Smart's frustration with Stevens. Coach has got to chew hard on the officials some nights, same way he needs to chew on his players more at times. A little meaner and a little harder. Having said that, the public display practically right in Stevens' face by Smart is unacceptable. Yeah, Marcus being Marcus directed at officials and opponents and hotel room wall pictures, I can live with and often applaud. But you can't openly disrespect your coach and your coach can't let it go with "that's just Marcus and I sometimes." No.

I actually didn’t see the confrontation but my reaction to comments here is that we have no idea what occurs behind the scenes or the nature of relationships, or the culture of the team when interacting outside game/ televised situations.  I presume Brad does address these situations but doesn’t talk publicly (or act publicly) about it. If so, praise to Brad — he not only handles it but models stability under pressure for his players.  I agree that coaches need to address issues when players get out of hand, but I also believe that in many cases the coach gets bigger bang when dealing with players after they’ve calmed down than in the heat of the moment when things may escalate. Marcus is a volatile guy, and Brad might know him well enough to know how best to deal with these situations when they arise.

« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2019, 07:35:52 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This happens a lot when players are grown men, nothing of real note here,  Smart is passionate.   Brad probably saved him from  T.

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2019, 09:54:47 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
No big deal.

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2019, 01:05:58 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
No big deal.

I don't know.. I think there is something a bit serious here...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2019, 02:06:26 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
No big deal.

I don't know.. I think there is something a bit serious here...

Next thing you know, Smart pulls a LeBron and starts telling Brad Stevens and Danny Ainge what to do and who to get rid of lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2019, 03:36:21 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I have no problem with coaches and players yelling at one another as long as its constructive. This doesn't seem like it was destructive in any way, to me. There's nothing here.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008