Author Topic: Wolves (9-25) at Celtics (25-7) 1/3  (Read 55342 times)

Re: Wolves (9-25) at Celtics (25-7) 1/3
« Reply #285 on: January 03, 2011, 10:43:03 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Is that really a travel with the new rule?

My understanding is that you get a full 2 steps after you plant the foot off of a catch. Essentially, it is 2 1/2 steps which I thought he took. Really tough to evaluate without being trained in how to interpret rules.

I thought it was fine until i rewatched the replay once or twice. To me it looks like he catches the ball right on his first step and proceeds to take 2 more which makes for 3 steps- a travel. However IMO it is nigh impossible to see violations like those in realtime.
Your description sounds legal based on my understanding of the new rule. Off of a pass, you get two full steps after the step where you are collecting the ball. That's why I refer to it as 2 1/2 steps.

I wouldn't blame Minny fans who feel they got shafted by losing possession.

Here's the first link I found:
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2009/10/new-nba-traveling-rules/

I remember a site where the league had sample videos of call. I should probably seek that out to compare.

« Reply #286 on: January 03, 2011, 10:44:04 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
Perhaps before we go badmouthing the Celtics lousy performance tonight - There are case precedents of the T-Wolves giving good teams a hard time on their HC.

On Dec 3 in San Antonio - read this:

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?id=301203024

Spurs had to bust their butt in the 4th Q and I doubt the Spurs had as many injuries as us. It was Minnesota 86-71 after 3 Qs and that lead carried to 2:30 remaining before The strong close by Tim Duncan.

On December 18 in Denver:

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?id=301218007

Minnesota did not quit here and closed strong to lose by two points.

On December 15 in Arizona:

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?id=301215021

They stayed with Phoenix all the way through.

The Timberwolves will not make the playoffs but they will take down a good team who shows up flat and unprepared similar to the Celtics tonight. They have the makings of a good team but it will take a couple of seasons of playing together and rotating into a playoff position as the Texas teams, Phoenix and Lakers fade into the background.

Tonight was about survival playing shorthanded and on the second night of a back to back and making a few more shots down the stretch and that Block by Ray Allen after the Luke Ridnour Travel. Worse yet, Minnesota had a jump on scouting us in Toronto and were obviously better prepared.

Contributions came from unlikely sources - Von Wafer and Luke Harongody. I liked Jermaine O'Neals game with the blocks and some scoring. There is some good stuff to take out of this game.

Rondo knocked in a couple of key hoops too.

The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #287 on: January 03, 2011, 10:44:38 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
These are the type of games you've gotta find a way to win if you want home court advantage :D

Von Wafer's best game as a Celtic. Still some positives even after an ugly encounter such as this!
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #288 on: January 03, 2011, 10:48:31 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
That was the definition of a stolen win.

P.S. Nate Robinson is terrible.
-=-=-

His 2-2 from the line late was MUCH better than the 0-2 the other night

And yet, he is still terrible. I held off on criticizing him the whole year, but the truth is, the whole year, he's sucked absurdly hard.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #289 on: January 03, 2011, 10:49:18 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
a win is  a win is a win
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #290 on: January 03, 2011, 10:52:56 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

« Reply #291 on: January 03, 2011, 11:35:09 PM »

Offline JerseyKid.

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
  • Our heart will prevail.

My understanding is that you get a full 2 steps after you plant the foot off of a catch. Essentially, it is 2 1/2 steps which I thought he took. Really tough to evaluate without being trained in how to interpret rules.
You get two full steps after you gather/control the ball. Ridnour takes 3, its very close but I watched the replay three times and it looked like the correct call to me.

He definitely traveled , but wouldn't have much mattered since ray allen pulled one out of KGs book and sent that rock into the stands.

Absolutely wonderful.

« Reply #292 on: January 04, 2011, 12:19:43 AM »

Offline JohnBagleyValueMeal

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 176
  • It's not hard to work hard.
Perhaps before we go badmouthing the Celtics lousy performance tonight - There are case precedents of the T-Wolves giving good teams a hard time on their HC.

TP. Any team in the NBA can give any other team trouble. San Antonio, Miami, Chicago, LA, Orlando...they all have had as many (if not more) games like this.

I think we get so wrapped up in the Celtics' ups and downs that its easy to forget that every team in the league has them too.
McHale's favorite ruse is putting paper in the mouths of sleeping teammates. "Try using one of these cocktail napkins," he said. "When just the edge sticks out of a guy's mouth, it looks like he's got fangs. The best part is when he wakes up."
-- Sports Illustrated, 12/19/1983

« Reply #293 on: January 04, 2011, 12:49:18 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I think Kevin Love really grabbed a lot of rebounds and made an impact for his team out there.  They weren't shooting a better percentage than us, but they had a steady lead.  And they didn't have much scoring besides Wes Johnson hitting a couple big threes and Beasley with a nice series of shots to keep them close. 

And Love did crumble on offense at the end, but his rebounding was huge.  He had as many boards as we had as a team for a lot of the game it seemed.  Baby had 2 rebounds or something?  That's a real blowout.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #294 on: January 04, 2011, 05:24:58 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
The game was way closer and tough than it should have been, I thought for a while that we were going to lose since we got a lot of stops but simply couldn't score... fortunately Rondo came up big in the clutch. I thought he passed on too many shoots during the game, resulting in poor teammates' shots or turnovers.

Anyway, I'll take the win, nice to see Von Wafer getting really confident and contributing like a real NBA player!

Jermaine is coming into his own too!

« Reply #295 on: January 04, 2011, 10:58:14 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think Kevin Love really grabbed a lot of rebounds and made an impact for his team out there.  They weren't shooting a better percentage than us, but they had a steady lead.  And they didn't have much scoring besides Wes Johnson hitting a couple big threes and Beasley with a nice series of shots to keep them close. 

And Love did crumble on offense at the end, but his rebounding was huge.  He had as many boards as we had as a team for a lot of the game it seemed.  Baby had 2 rebounds or something?  That's a real blowout.
Kevin Love is an amazing rebounder, but man oh man was he bad offensively and defensively. Luke was able to check him without problem and he was slow/late nearly everytime he was required to close out a shot or cut off a lane.

« Reply #296 on: January 04, 2011, 11:51:05 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Kevin Love is an amazing rebounder, but man oh man was he bad offensively and defensively. Luke was able to check him without problem and he was slow/late nearly everytime he was required to close out a shot or cut off a lane.

Yeah he is not a defender and he was okay on offense.  Awful at the end with that airball.  But that will come as he goes I think and regardless he made more impact than any player on the court for either team just rebounding.  It was impressive.  It allowed the T-Wolves to control the flow of the game and dominate the ball.  Like Doc said it seemed like they always had the ball during the game.

Beasley was also great at the end.  Hit some very tough midrange shots to keep them in the game when they shouldn't hav ebeen.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #297 on: January 04, 2011, 03:58:26 PM »

Offline CrossCL

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10

I thought it was fine until i rewatched the replay once or twice. To me it looks like he catches the ball right on his first step and proceeds to take 2 more which makes for 3 steps- a travel. However IMO it is nigh impossible to see violations like those in realtime.
Your description sounds legal based on my understanding of the new rule. Off of a pass, you get two full steps after the step where you are collecting the ball. That's why I refer to it as 2 1/2 steps.

I wouldn't blame Minny fans who feel they got shafted by losing possession.

Here's the first link I found:
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2009/10/new-nba-traveling-rules/

I remember a site where the league had sample videos of call. I should probably seek that out to compare.
woops i meant to say he caught it right before his first step. thanks for that link, i was always wondering what the exact language was for the traveling rule. btw if you could find the video examples that would be phenomenal