Author Topic: Life Feedback -- Best Airline Credit Card For Miles  (Read 5594 times)

Life Feedback -- Best Airline Credit Card For Miles
« on: October 02, 2023, 05:31:44 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I was wondering what others are using to accumulate miles here. I was looking into the JetBlue card, but I haven't flown with them in a while, so I wasn't sure if that was the best direction to go.

I would love some feedback from you guys. Thanks!

Re: Life Feedback -- Best Airline Credit Card For Miles
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 05:48:21 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't necessarily know if they're the best but I have United (for O'Hare) and Southwest (for Midway).  Never had issues with either of them.   Back when JetBlue was more active in Chicago, I had that card.

The United card I use is the explorer card.  I think the annual fee is $95. It gives me two one time use United Club passes a year which is a nice perk.  Priority boarding, & free first checked bag and they'll pay for my Global Entry renewal.  Also, they got whole Miles Plus program with dining & shopping.

Southwest card I have is just the premier rapid rewards card.  Points never expire.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2023, 06:02:59 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I think it depends on a few factors:

1) Are you loyal to an airline/do you live in a market dominated by 1-2 airlines (I presume you live nearest to Logan).

2) Do you fly a lot or a little? By yourself or with family?

3) Do you want status with an airline, or just points to reduce the cost of future travel?

Personally I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve, which can a) transfer points to a variety of airlines, and b) has points which can be used to purchase points through airlines, most of the time at better rates than those airline’s points. It has a steep fee, however, of $550/year, with only barely enough other perks (various statement credits) to make it worth keeping if you don’t travel enough.  I’ve travelled much less post-Covid, and unless that changes this year for me, it’s my last with this card.

I also this year dipped into the Amex Delta card, mostly due to a nice signup bonus of 90k miles.  It has a $250 annual fee, but comes with a free continental US companion ticket, which pays for the card itself with me, since we travel to my parents on Delta at least once per year, and those tickets always run more than $250.  Delta recently nerfed its miles program, however, so the card is unlikely to help me get status.

When Baltimore was my home airport, I used to cycle through the Southwest card from Chase every other year.  Around February it’s signup bonus is a year of companion pass (plus 30-50k points), so I’d get it for a year, cancel, and then get it the following year (you can’t get the welcome bonus more than once every 24 months).  If Southwest gets you where you want to go, I think that card, in February, is the best deal if you’ve typically got a companion.  The signup bonus saved us about $4k in tickets the last time we got it.

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2023, 09:59:06 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Some great responses, TPs

1) I live near Logan. I'm not sure what their main one or two airlines are.

2) I typically fly twice a year: once for a guys' trip with some buddies, and the other time I take my son wherever he wants to go in the country. However, my old man just retired and moved out to the San Diego area, so I plan on flying 3-4 times a year now.

3) I just want points to reduce the cost of further travel.

Looking forward to your advise now that I’ve given more detail! Thanks

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2023, 08:53:24 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I’d either go with the JetBlue card or go with Delta.  Those are the two airlines with the most flights from Logan, and both have 1-2 direct flights to San Diego a day, depending on the season.  Given the amount of flying you do, you’ll probably do better sticking with a single airline rather than spreading to multiple airlines, as JetBlue and Delta will likely charge the same price for the San Diego flight that you will likely make most frequently.  I’d recommend either the JetBlue plus card or the American Express Delta Sky Miles reserve card.

The JetBlue plus card has a $99 annual fee, but compared to the basic card with no fee it is easily worth it.  Currently you get 70k points for signing up if you spend $1,000 in the first month compared with 10,000 for the basic card.  That 60,000 point difference is worth $780 in airfare, so it makes up for years of that annual fee.  In addition, you get 5,000 points annually and free checked bags for you and up to three companions (assuming you purchased the ticket with the card).

The Delta card has a $250 annual fee, but as described above, provides one free companion roundtrip anywhere in the continental US beginning in the second year (you get the companion pass on your card anniversary date), so your son would come along for free* (technically $5.60 each way for taxes) on your annual trip, or with you to San Diego to see your father, which should make the card more than pay for itself every year after the first.  Like the JetBlue card above you also get free bags when you fly Delta with the card. Both cards earn points at approximately the same rate.  It will also reimburse you for TSA Pre or Global entry once every four years, which I’ve found makes airports less stressful for me.  The signup bonus for the Delta card is only 50,000 currently, which is about as low as it will get.  These bonuses change about once a month, so if that’s the card you’re interested in and you don’t need to sign up for one immediately, I’d keep track of that bonus.  It was 60,000 last month, and as high as 90,000 earlier this year.  10k points are worth roughly $130 in travel value.  I’d expect it to be between 60-75k in early November.  The JetBlue card is better at signup right now — I’ve seen it at 80k before, but it’s near its peak.  Also, if you do choose the Delta card, using this link will get you the same offer, but will give me some bonus points.  No obligation, of course, and of course you might decide the JetBlue card is better for you.  https://americanexpress.com/en-us/referral/MATTHCdG2P?XL=MITCP