Poll

What position do the Celtics most need for this season?

Swing (behind Brown and Tatum)
5 (26.3%)
Big (behind Rob and Hortford)
14 (73.7%)
PG (because it is only fair to add all three positions)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: What position do the Celtics most need for this season?  (Read 1426 times)

What position do the Celtics most need for this season?
« on: February 02, 2023, 12:17:14 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
As we approach the deadline, what position do you think the Celtics most need to address and please add you why

Re: What position do the Celtics most need for this season?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 12:24:39 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Our biggest area of concern is a bigman, both in terms of providing rest to Horford and Timelord down the stretch as well as filling a hole on the playoff roster.

If we look at the best teams in the league right now, our biggest competition seems to be Denver and Philly.  Obviously, Milwaukee is in the mix as well.  That means we need to defend Jokic, Embiid and Lopez / Giannis / Portis.  If Timelord or Horford gets in foul trouble or is injured, I just don't trust Kornet or Grant Williams to match up even for 10 minutes per game.

At wing, we have enough competent bodies that we can shift around.  Grant can play down, at SF.  Smart, Brogdon and even White can play up to SF, and certainly can cover SG when Brown is playing for Tatum.  Backup wing is more important for the regular season than it seems to be in the playoffs.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 12:25:17 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
I say big because of the injury concerns, plus the fact that I think Kornet is too much of a liability to be relied on in the playoffs.

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 12:55:15 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I still think Swing is the bigger need.   Just look at the minutes Tatum is playing right now.   

I also think that there will be a big man in the buyout market that can help more then a swing.   

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 01:21:23 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Grant Williams is the backup SF/PF. There isn't much need there.

The backcourt is well stocked with the three combo guards and Pritchard as 4th choice. Then the forwards have the two Jays and Grant with Horford getting some time there and with Hauser as 5th choice.

Rob Williams and Horford would be well stocked if Rob's health could be trusted but it cannot so another bench big would be my priority.

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 01:25:18 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

The backcourt is well stocked with the three combo guards and Pritchard as 4th choice. Then the forwards have the two Jays and Grant with Horford getting some time there and with Hauser as 5th choice.

Rob Williams and Horford would be well stocked if Rob's health could be trusted but it cannot so another bench big would be my priority.

Agree with this and Roy's post above. That said, I think we are more likely to find through the buy out market than a trade. Read somewhere that Drummond will be bought out, but seems destined to sign with the Lakers.  He would fulfill the back up to Rob and Al role nicely.  Wish he would chase the ring.

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 01:28:49 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Agree with this and Roy's post above. That said, I think we are more likely to find through the buy out market than a trade. Read somewhere that Drummond will be bought out, but seems destined to sign with the Lakers.  He would fulfill the back up to Rob and Al role nicely.  Wish he would chase the ring.
if it were about the $, I think the C's are in a position to offer more than the Lakers.  it's the lure of playing (and missing the playoffs) with Lebron that the C's can't offer

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 01:37:51 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I am glad that the poll clarified what is meant by "swing".  I feel the need for a wing/SF/swing (back up to Brown/Tatum) and a big is about equal.  Neither is absolutely needed, either could become a problem with an injury.  But based on options to address the need, I think there are more options to get a big other than via trade (buyouts) whereas if we want to get a viable wing, we are probably going to have to trade for that.  So in that regard, I would have a higher priority on the wing up to the trade deadline.

I have always thought of a swing as someone like Crowder or Marcus Morris.  Someone who can play to some extent, either SF or PF, but isn't really either.  That type of player would be fine also, maybe in some ways better.  If we bring in someone that can play some minutes at PF, that frees up Horford to play more at C, or gives us more options.  But if that player could also provide viable minutes at SF, that is even more options.

I don't see Grant as that.  I don't think he is a viable SF.  Hauser would get those minutes, or even Jackson as was the case in a recent game vs. Miami. In that game, we didn't have Smart, Brown, or Horford.  The result was Hauser played 26 min, Jackson 14 min, Kornet 13 min, and Griffin 4 min (both Grant and RWIII played extra).  If Smart was available, probably Jackson doesn't play, but that is still more of Hauser than you would like to see (filling in for Brown).  They could have played Grant at SF and given more big minutes to Kornet or Griffin but they didn't, they played Hauser and Jackson.

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 01:55:41 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
I still think it's a big man, because even behind Tatum and Brown I think we have enough potential scoring with the group of Smart, Brogdon and White. But if we, god forbid, lose 1 of Horford/Timelord for some time then I think we're kind of screwed. Kornet/Griffin are okay for mop-up but definitely not as our 3rd big(s) in the playoffs
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2023, 10:25:25 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
As we approach the deadline, what position do you think the Celtics most need to address and please add you why

I'm very surprised you did not include a wing in the poll - I don't think that's the priority, but a lot of people do.

Oh now looking closer... looks like you're mixing up swings and wings?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 10:32:57 AM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 10:47:09 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
I still think Swing is the bigger need.   Just look at the minutes Tatum is playing right now.   

I also think that there will be a big man in the buyout market that can help more then a swing.

I'm having trouble reconciling these two ideas.

The question I have for the advocates of getting a big in the buyout market - would you expect to get someone more useful than Luke or Blake are already? I would not. Trading for a big is going to mean getting a rotation player. That's what I'm advocating for.

People have proposed Naz Reid, Mason Plumlee, Jakob Poeltl, Kelly Olynyk, and even Jarred Vanderbilt. Of those, Olynyk is the most seamless sub for Al Horford.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2023, 10:54:25 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
I still think it's a big man, because even behind Tatum and Brown I think we have enough potential scoring with the group of Smart, Brogdon and White. But if we, god forbid, lose 1 of Horford/Timelord for some time then I think we're kind of screwed. Kornet/Griffin are okay for mop-up but definitely not as our 3rd big(s) in the playoffs

This is pretty close to what I think, except that the issue is more than just scoring. Having said that, it seems to me that they ought to raise Brogdon's usage, and reduce minutes for Brown and especially for Tatum.

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2023, 11:27:46 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Most opinions are based on one of two notions:
1) Grant Williams is not the swing we need.
2) Blake Griffin has not contributed much.

Is there one player who could conceivably help in both areas? I've got a name in mind.