Author Topic: Celtics Regular Season News  (Read 63293 times)

Re: Celtics Regular Season News
« Reply #435 on: March 15, 2023, 07:26:20 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think this literally sums it up for the Celtics

- Record when Celtics shoot 40% or higher from 3-point land in a game? 26-0

- Record when Celtics shoot less than 40% from 3-point land in a game? 21-22

This team truly is a "live by the 3, die by the 3" team. When the 3s aren't falling, they are unable to adjust AND they also can't rely on their defense most nights like they could last season or even the previous 3 years as a whole.

I guess you can say that if the C's can shoot beyond 40% from 3-point land most of the postseason (at least 16 games), they'll win it all. But that's a dangerous thing to just assume and probably unlikely lol

Seems like their hot shooting to start the season may have been a disservice, convincing them they could have long-term success with that strategy. But they just don't have a lot of guys who shoot a great 3pt% at high volume.

Yep.  Shooting 40% from 3PT is extremely difficult.  The only guys on the team hitting that mark are Brogdon, Hauser, Horford and Grant (barely). 

Meanwhile, Tatum is shooting 35.2%, and JB is at 33.3%, which is awful.  Smart's better than Jaylen, at 33.7%.

Tatum's shooting is the biggest differentiator:  in wins, he shoots 38.0%.  In losses, he shoots 27.6%!!!

(That's something either the player or the coach might want to adjust to.)
It is a high mark to achieve, but our passing and movement has declined markedly recently. Definitely link those two
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #436 on: March 15, 2023, 12:24:18 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1450

This team truly is a "live by the 3, die by the 3" team. When the 3s aren't falling, they are unable to adjust AND they also can't rely on their defense most nights like they could last season or even the previous 3 years as a whole.

I guess you can say that if the C's can shoot beyond 40% from 3-point land most of the postseason (at least 16 games), they'll win it all. But that's a dangerous thing to just assume and probably unlikely lol

Seems like their hot shooting to start the season may have been a disservice, convincing them they could have long-term success with that strategy. But they just don't have a lot of guys who shoot a great 3pt% at high volume.

Yep.  Shooting 40% from 3PT is extremely difficult.  The only guys on the team hitting that mark are Brogdon, Hauser, Horford and Grant (barely). 

Meanwhile, Tatum is shooting 35.2%, and JB is at 33.3%, which is awful.  Smart's better than Jaylen, at 33.7%.

Tatum's shooting is the biggest differentiator:  in wins, he shoots 38.0%.  In losses, he shoots 27.6%!!!

It is a high mark to achieve, but our passing and movement has declined markedly recently. Definitely link those two

Smart has a lot to do with this. Over the last 10 games he’s averaging 3.6ast per game. Awful production from a starting point guard.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #437 on: March 15, 2023, 03:49:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Smart has a lot to do with this. Over the last 10 games he’s averaging 3.6ast per game. Awful production from a starting point guard.
I've mentioned it in other threads, but I agree. I have no idea what has happened to the Smart that started this season

« Reply #438 on: March 15, 2023, 05:31:07 PM »

Offline GreenBoomer

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 7
The roster is built for three point shooting. They didn't want a strong rebounder/inside presence. They had every opportunity to get one and didn't. It would be nice to have some resemblance of a big that could bang and score when the shooting is poor, if only for a few possessions.

« Reply #439 on: March 15, 2023, 05:42:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
The roster is built for three point shooting. They didn't want a strong rebounder/inside presence. They had every opportunity to get one and didn't. It would be nice to have some resemblance of a big that could bang and score when the shooting is poor, if only for a few possessions.
I think the idea is that there isn't a need for this, because we have plenty of wings who can penetrate at will (Tatum, Brown, Brogdon, sometimes White) and plenty of shooting surrounding that, whilst maintaining an identity of ball movement 1-5 and playing suffocating defence.

The issue is, obviously, now we don't focus on the driving aspects of our offence as much. So many of our good looks from deep came from possessions where there would often be multiple instances of a ball-handler getting two feet in the paint, collapsing the defence, and moving it to the perimeter. There is very little of that now. The defensive identity has also withered away a bit, especially with how terrible Smart has been since returning.

« Reply #440 on: March 15, 2023, 06:59:04 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar
I think the idea is that there isn't a need for this, because we have plenty of wings who can penetrate at will (Tatum, Brown, Brogdon, sometimes White) and plenty of shooting surrounding that, whilst maintaining an identity of ball movement 1-5 and playing suffocating defence.

The issue is, obviously, now we don't focus on the driving aspects of our offence as much. So many of our good looks from deep came from possessions where there would often be multiple instances of a ball-handler getting two feet in the paint, collapsing the defence, and moving it to the perimeter. There is very little of that now. The defensive identity has also withered away a bit, especially with how terrible Smart has been since returning.

Agreed, I also think it's worth noting that most of the bigs who can score inside and play quality defense are not really guys who you're likely to find in the buyout market or who could be traded for without totally disrupting the rest of our lineup. If you just want inside scoring, it's worth remembering that we had Enes Freedom on the roster twice in recent memory.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #441 on: March 15, 2023, 07:19:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Agreed, I also think it's worth noting that most of the bigs who can score inside and play quality defense are not really guys who you're likely to find in the buyout market or who could be traded for without totally disrupting the rest of our lineup. If you just want inside scoring, it's worth remembering that we had Enes Freedom on the roster twice in recent memory.
Yeah, it's all good and well to say "go get a big man who can score inside", but they have to actually be playable come playoff time. Otherwise Kanter or Monroe (who I still love) would be here.

« Reply #442 on: March 15, 2023, 07:22:26 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar

Yeah, it's all good and well to say "go get a big man who can score inside", but they have to actually be playable come playoff time. Otherwise Kanter or Monroe (who I still love) would be here.
I absolutely forgot Greg Monroe was a Celtic (in my defense it was only a 10 day contract), but yes - another great example.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #443 on: March 15, 2023, 07:24:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I absolutely forgot Greg Monroe was a Celtic (in my defense it was only a 10 day contract), but yes - another great example.
The original Moose was the king of the 10-day in 21-22. 4 teams, 14 games, then off to the Chinese league.

« Reply #444 on: March 16, 2023, 09:34:56 AM »

Offline GreenBoomer

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 7
Wasn't necessarily referring to buyouts, but the overall philosophy the last couple seasons. It's just frustrating to watch at times. But you're right about the live and die by the three. We accept it and move on.

« Reply #445 on: March 16, 2023, 02:04:19 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
https://twitter.com/gallinari8888/status/1636368763208564736?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

Gallo hinting a come back soon?!

Regardless, not sure how impactful he can be at this stage of the season anyways, but it would be nice to have another body and shooter to throw out there for 10 minutes a game.

« Reply #446 on: March 16, 2023, 02:21:20 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2715
https://twitter.com/gallinari8888/status/1636368763208564736?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

Regardless, not sure how impactful he can be at this stage of the season anyways, but it would be nice to have another body and shooter to throw out there for 10 minutes a game.

He seems convinced he's coming back this year. He may be the only one that thinks this though

« Reply #447 on: March 16, 2023, 02:24:28 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2538

If all-in on live and die by the 3, then he might help a little.  So frustrating to know this team's identity was as a smothering defense, and now its primary distinguishing feature is hoisting threes.   It is obvious how talented this team is, and painfully obvious that they are not dominating teams consistently as they should be doing.  Not only not dominating, but losing to teams they should easily beat, and letting teams back in games when they should easily close them out. 

« Reply #448 on: March 16, 2023, 03:50:49 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1450

I was going to say that it would have been nice to send him to Maine for a few games, but it appears that their last game is next Thursday.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #449 on: March 16, 2023, 06:02:11 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 250
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK

If all-in on live and die by the 3, then he might help a little.  So frustrating to know this team's identity was as a smothering defense, and now its primary distinguishing feature is hoisting threes.   It is obvious how talented this team is, and painfully obvious that they are not dominating teams consistently as they should be doing.  Not only not dominating, but losing to teams they should easily beat, and letting teams back in games when they should easily close them out.

This is the problem, my wife was like but they are winning, I was like there is no seperation between games, I remember the game with the spurs games where you are like ok we should win easily. they will go down to the last few possesions, smh. So she took me to the Rockets and Celtics game and she shocked that they lost, however I knew there was chance they could lose the game because this team sleep walks into games especially against lower level opponents.