Author Topic: Welcome to Boston, Carsen Edwards!  (Read 18439 times)

Re: Welcome to Boston, Carsen Edwards!
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2019, 10:12:48 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Considering Steven's system, Edwards could turn into an instant star for us.  Instant offense off the bench, taking advantage of that system where we shoot a lot of perimeter threes.

He's a bit short at 6'1 but considering how much I hate the rest of our draft, I hope Edwards can redeem it.
6' 1/4".
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2019, 10:14:28 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I think Edwards could be that scoring sparkplug/sharpshooter off the bench we've been hoping to get in recent years (kind of like how Reddick and Korver play, except with more athleticism and hopefully not a pure liability on defense). He just scores.
Eddie House?

I just read this comment after asking if Edwards was like Nate Robinson and the description of a sparkplug / sharpshooter off the bench at 6-1 made me think of Eddie House.

Is House a better comparison for Edwards? Pure shooter.
Or Nate Robinson? More ball-handling and athleticism.
Or neither? Are both off the mark?

He's got Nate Robinson handles, but is an Eddie House shooter.   

Lightning quick, can get his shot off in a mili-second, and can also finish at the rim.  Not as good of a finisher as Isaiah Thomas, but he's not just an Eddie House who can't drive.
Edwards shot 39% from the field and 35.5% from 3 last year.  I realize he was heavily guarded but that’s not House shooting.

They're closer than you think. Edwards shot 45.5% on 2s for his career (44.0% last year), while Eddie House shot 46.2% for his college career (44.9% his senior year), though House had much higher volume (13.2 2PA vs 9.0)

Threes are a similar story, with Edwards shooting 36.8% for his career (35.5% last year), and House 36.6% for his career (36.5% his senior year). Edwards shot a much higher volume, though (10.6 3PA last year vs 6.3 for House)

Their FG%s just look so far off because of how different their shot didtribution was, with House shooting ~1/3rd of his shots from 3 and Edwards shooting more than half. Hopefully Edwards reigns in the 3 point shooting a bit, although if his shot carries over he would at least be average

I hope he has time to make it translate like Trae Young because they put that guy through the ringer until he kinda figured it out the 2nd half of the season. Edwards being a 2nd round pick should help the fans be less harsh if he never does (i hope)  ;D. CBS isn't going to play him unless he has no other choice anyway, so w/e he has, let's just hope it shows up early.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2019, 10:17:06 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think Edwards could be that scoring sparkplug/sharpshooter off the bench we've been hoping to get in recent years (kind of like how Reddick and Korver play, except with more athleticism and hopefully not a pure liability on defense). He just scores.
Eddie House?

I just read this comment after asking if Edwards was like Nate Robinson and the description of a sparkplug / sharpshooter off the bench at 6-1 made me think of Eddie House.

I agree.  The Eddie House comparison fits better.
He has better handle than House thou...

I think he's in between. Not sure He'll be lights out like House was right off the bat, but he can get to the hoop like Robinson,  but shoots it better. Should be a good defender too, not a big kid, but strong.

« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2019, 10:41:45 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Considering Steven's system, Edwards could turn into an instant star for us.  Instant offense off the bench, taking advantage of that system where we shoot a lot of perimeter threes.

He's a bit short at 6'1 but considering how much I hate the rest of our draft, I hope Edwards can redeem it.
6' 1/4".

I don't trust any measurements. It's all BS. He's probably 6ft on a box. Bigs are always shorter and short guys wear risers! Are you really going to wear platform shoes on the court?  ;D Some guys be 6' without shoes and then put on shoes that make them 6'3" they need to stop!  :o  :laugh:
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2019, 10:50:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

6' 1/4".

I don't trust any measurements. It's all BS. He's probably 6ft on a box. Bigs are always shorter and short guys wear risers! Are you really going to wear platform shoes on the court?  ;D Some guys be 6' without shoes and then put on shoes that make them 6'3" they need to stop!  :o  :laugh:

I think the max variation between “with shoes” and “without shoes” is supposed to be 1.5”.

I have no idea why they do the “in shoes” measurement at all, since it’s non-standard.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2019, 10:54:09 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

6' 1/4".

Edwards has a long 6'6" wingspan and weighs in at 199 pounds. He is a very solid young man. He's got a similar build to Van Fleet.

« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2019, 11:29:44 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

6' 1/4".

Edwards has a long 6'6" wingspan and weighs in at 199 pounds. He is a very solid young man. He's got a similar build to Van Fleet.
Van Vleet doesn't have that type of wingspan and athleticism. Edwards is a better athlete than him by a fair margin.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2019, 11:46:18 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

6' 1/4".

Van Vleet doesn't have that type of wingspan and athleticism. Edwards is a better athlete than him by a fair margin.

I hope so. Van Fleet had a great playoff run this year. I hope Edwards can be an even better person. Edwards looks amazing in the playoff games I've watch of him....

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2019, 11:54:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

6' 1/4".

I hope so. Van Fleet had a great playoff run this year. I hope Edwards can be an even better person. Edwards looks amazing in the playoff games I've watch of him....
Yeah, I think he'll also do a lot better now that he actually has some help around him. With Purdue he was the be-all and end-all of their offence
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2019, 11:59:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Van Vleet superior defender so far though. Did credible job on Curry.

« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2019, 12:10:24 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Eddie House?

He's got Nate Robinson handles, but is an Eddie House shooter.   

Lightning quick, can get his shot off in a mili-second, and can also finish at the rim.  Not as good of a finisher as Isaiah Thomas, but he's not just an Eddie House who can't drive.
Edwards shot 39% from the field and 35.5% from 3 last year.  I realize he was heavily guarded but that’s not House shooting.

Over their college careers Edwards shot 46% from 2, 37% from 3 and 82% from the line.

House shot 46% from 2, 37% from 3 and 80% from the line.

They had similar usage and scoring rates as well, so yeah, he's extremely similar to Eddie House in terms of shooting.

The only substantive difference is that Edwards shot more 3s and got to the line about twice as often, both of which are good things with those percentages.

« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2019, 01:29:50 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
"Edwards is a scoring machine who did nothing but ball out during his three-year collegiate career. Each new season saw new highs for the point guard, as he improved in almost every statistical category year after year. In his final season with Purdue, Edwards was named to the All-American Second-Team as he put up impressive averages of 24.3 PPG, 2.9 APG and 1.3 SPG while shooting 40% from the field and 36% from deep.

During the team’s NCAA Tournament run, Edwards showed the world his game has the potential of reaching even greater heights. Through four games, the point guard managed to average a stellar 34.8 PPG, tied for the ninth most in tournament history. Under the bright lights of March Madness he shot lights out from deep, notching himself a 46% clip from beyond the arc while on his way to setting a new tournament record for 3-point field goals made with an average of seven makes per game.

The previous holder of said record? Stephen Curry."

https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2019/06/24/boston-celtics-carsen-edwards-teams-biggest-rookie-contributor-2019-20/

« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2019, 10:45:37 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I can't figure out how Edwards went so low in the draft.

« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2019, 10:50:28 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I’m not surprised he did, based on projections, but I don’t get it either.  I was shocked last year when he was getting evaluations that told him to stay in school — he’s not some guy who just blew up this year.  I’m sure there is something related to athleticism, but I really think the NBA had a groupthink blindspot on this kid.  I hope we’re right and they’re wrong.

« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2019, 12:26:38 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I’m not surprised he did, based on projections, but I don’t get it either.  I was shocked last year when he was getting evaluations that told him to stay in school — he’s not some guy who just blew up this year.  I’m sure there is something related to athleticism, but I really think the NBA had a groupthink blindspot on this kid.  I hope we’re right and they’re wrong.

Me too. I also thought that Edwards looked bigger than expected today in the photos of the draft picks.

https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/6/24/18716370/celtics-nba-draft-langford-grant-williams-basketball-introductions-danny-ainge-boston-waters-edwards

Waters does look small, very small....