Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 366754 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #1725 on: January 10, 2019, 11:03:45 PM »

Online rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Thibs? Mmm.

How about Doc?

« Reply #1726 on: January 13, 2019, 06:58:00 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
20 points, 22 rebounds, 9 assists from Simmons today against the Knicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZX9W7wzQEc

He even hit a fadeaway from midrange (1:31 of the video).

I know most of you guys believe he's overrated, but meh, I don't care. :P Simmons, Giannis, Jokic and Luka are my favorite non-Celtics to watch right now.

Btw, there's speculation (although not from credible sources) that the Sixers might make Simmons available in a package for AD. If I were the Pels, I'd take Simmons + 2021 Miami unprotected first + more pick(s) over Tatum + pick(s) or whatever the Lakers may offer.

But then again, I'm really high on Simmons. At the end of the day, Simmons is a polarizing player. Either you love him or you consider him overrated. Perhaps the Pels GM considers him overrated.

« Reply #1727 on: January 13, 2019, 10:45:29 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

I know most of you guys believe he's overrated, but meh, I don't care. :P Simmons, Giannis, Jokic and Luka are my favorite non-Celtics to watch right now.

Btw, there's speculation (although not from credible sources) that the Sixers might make Simmons available in a package for AD. If I were the Pels, I'd take Simmons + 2021 Miami unprotected first + more pick(s) over Tatum + pick(s) or whatever the Lakers may offer.

But then again, I'm really high on Simmons. At the end of the day, Simmons is a polarizing player. Either you love him or you consider him overrated. Perhaps the Pels GM considers him overrated.

Looks like some guys on Liberty Ballers are right. Simmons sucks against good teams and has great stats against bad teams that's why to some he is great.

« Reply #1728 on: January 13, 2019, 11:45:58 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Looks like some guys on Liberty Ballers are right. Simmons sucks against good teams and has great stats against bad teams that's why to some he is great.

Yea he really posts fat stat lines against lousy teams. Wake me up when he has a good game against bucks, Celtics, raptors, warrrior etc and the 76ers winZ I will legit be impressed at that point

« Reply #1729 on: January 14, 2019, 01:26:04 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yea he really posts fat stat lines against lousy teams. Wake me up when he has a good game against bucks, Celtics, raptors, warrrior etc and the 76ers winZ I will legit be impressed at that point
Precisely. He’s very very overrated.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1730 on: January 14, 2019, 03:45:01 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
The more they inflate, the more they disappoint.
Lovely.
Keep it up, Ben.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #1731 on: January 14, 2019, 04:10:42 AM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
Yeah let's see how Simmons stat line looks in the 12 game stretch starting January 17th when they play 11 playoff teams and the only non playoff team is the kings on the end of a west coast trip. Seems like a guy you need to plan for but if you have a plan for him you don't need to be worried.

« Reply #1732 on: January 14, 2019, 06:20:08 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

You mean like the 26/12/8 on 11 of 13 shooting he had against Toronto in his most recent game against the Raptors. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1733 on: January 14, 2019, 06:54:23 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

You mean like the 26/12/8 on 11 of 13 shooting he had against Toronto in his most recent game against the Raptors.
Or that playoff game against us when he scored a whole point. That is a good example as well.

« Reply #1734 on: January 14, 2019, 08:33:57 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Or that playoff game against us when he scored a whole point. That is a good example as well.
I prefer the 19/13/5 he also had against the Celtics in a playoff game the Sixers won which was in fact after the game you speak of.  Random games happen.  Tatum had a 4 point playoff game last year and he has already had two 4 point games this year.  One of those 4 point games also triggered a 4 game stretch of over 31 mpg in which he scored 31 total points. 

Young players are inconsistent by nature.  They have their ups and they have their downs, but clay specifically asked about a good game against a good team, in which the Sixers won and Simmons played well.  That was the game I used (it was their game just before the Christmas day game against Boston - and those are their 2 most recent games against the teams Clay mentioned). 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 08:40:01 AM by Moranis »

« Reply #1735 on: January 14, 2019, 09:11:42 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

I prefer the 19/13/5 he also had against the Celtics in a playoff game the Sixers won which was in fact after the game you speak of.  Random games happen.  Tatum had a 4 point playoff game last year and he has already had two 4 point games this year.  One of those 4 point games also triggered a 4 game stretch of over 31 mpg in which he scored 31 total points. 

Young players are inconsistent by nature.  They have their ups and they have their downs, but clay specifically asked about a good game against a good team, in which the Sixers won and Simmons played well.  That was the game I used (it was their game just before the Christmas day game against Boston - and those are their 2 most recent games against the teams Clay mentioned).
We all know, specifically, how that series went down.
We won it as we exploited his critical weakness.
Being unable to shoot from more than 10 feet is not inconsistency, it is a disability.
Disability of such magnitude that it looks like it can never be improved on.
Dedmon is Mark Price compared to him.
Centers (5's) are often the least capable shooters compared to other positions if Simmons played the 8 position, he'd still be below average shooter for his position.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 09:27:32 AM by Androslav »

« Reply #1736 on: January 14, 2019, 09:28:29 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Being unable to shoot from more than 10 feet is not inconsistency, it is a disability.
Center (5's) are often the least capable shooters compared to other positions if Simmons played the 8 and he'd still be below average shooter for his position.
Sure we know that Boston was the better team and everyone loves to point out that 1 point effort from Simmons (which no question was an awful game), but there were 4 other games in that series and this is what Simmons did in those.

18/7/6 54.5%
16/8/8 57.1%
19/13/5 40.0% (this is the win)
18/8/6 53.3%

It wasn't like Simmons laid eggs all series long and Simmons pretty much dominated Miami in the 5 game series before that.  Boston is a bad match-up for him and has been both seasons, but he does just fine against many of the better teams in the league.  He is 6'11".  If they just called him a PF no one would be complaining about his shooting, but because they call him a PG it is apparently a problem, and that just seems strange to me. 

« Reply #1737 on: January 14, 2019, 09:40:54 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

Center (5's) are often the least capable shooters compared to other positions if Simmons played the 8 and he'd still be below average shooter for his position.
Sure we know that Boston was the better team and everyone loves to point out that 1 point effort from Simmons (which no question was an awful game), but there were 4 other games in that series and this is what Simmons did in those.

18/7/6 54.5%
16/8/8 57.1%
18/8/6 53.3%

It wasn't like Simmons laid eggs all series long and Simmons pretty much dominated Miami in the 5 game series before that.  Boston is a bad match-up for him and has been both seasons, but he does just fine against many of the better teams in the league.  He is 6'11".  If they just called him a PF no one would be complaining about his shooting, but because they call him a PG it is apparently a problem, and that just seems strange to me.
Another demagogism, the PG - PF nonsense.
However, whatever nomenclature you use he will still be unwilling and unable to shoot them.
Even if you only take 4's in consideration.

Ben is a good player, NBA starter with a unique skillset. Often fun to watch. But his ceiling/playoff success is determined by his long-range shooting.
That might be true even for Giannis who is next MVP and leagues above Simmons skillwise as an overall player and who also has the length and hands that you can never teach Simmons.

« Reply #1738 on: January 14, 2019, 10:15:37 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

18/7/6 54.5%
16/8/8 57.1%
18/8/6 53.3%

However, whatever nomenclature you use he will still be unwilling and unable to shoot them.

Ben is a good player, NBA starter with a unique skillset. Often fun to watch. But his ceiling/playoff success is determined by his long-range shooting.
That might be true even for Giannis who is next MVP and leagues above Simmons skillwise as an overall player and who also has the length and hands that you can never teach Simmons.
Why does he need to take bad shots?  Emmette posted this ringer article a page or so ago in this thread, and I think it has the right sentiment regarding Simmons and his shooting.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/1/7/18171797/philadelphia-76ers-ben-simmons-jumper

« Reply #1739 on: January 14, 2019, 10:47:33 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

18/7/6 54.5%
16/8/8 57.1%
18/8/6 53.3%

Why does he need to take bad shots?  Emmette posted this ringer article a page or so ago in this thread, and I think it has the right sentiment regarding Simmons and his shooting.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/1/7/18171797/philadelphia-76ers-ben-simmons-jumper
When did the basketball became a game where lack of skills is beneficial for teams success?

Would Colombo do better if he had a rowing boat instead of sails?
Would Einstein be smarter if he had lesser IQ and education?

This article sounds like writer is searching for inner solace regarding his precious no 1. overall picks future.