Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 367084 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #1815 on: February 06, 2019, 11:26:57 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Harris is obviously a great weapon and a major upgrade from Chandler. Boban also can do some stuff extremely well (and some other stuff very poorly). And Scott is a solid bench PF. They got a lot beefier around the 3-5 range.

But their guard corps is awful, especially on D - they're gonna have substantial stretches of TJ McConnell trying to stay with Kyrie and Rozier. I have no idea who guards Brown and Morris if Butler's on the bench or otherwise occupied. If they don't get a solid defense + shooting PG either by tomorrow or in buyout season, they're going to have real problems at the 1+2. They really should've asked for Beverly instead of Boban.

And that's without getting into how they emptied their draft pick supply and Harris and Butler could both skip town in 3 months.

Bottom line we're still gonna bust their ass. Or the Bucks or Raps will before we get there. But this doesn't really change their standing in the pecking order.

« Reply #1816 on: February 06, 2019, 11:28:37 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
76ers now down to 5th after getting blown out on their home floor by the raptors. Simmons has 6 more turnovers giving him 27 against the  raptors defense this year. I have to think they will make a small move before the deadline. There has been a bit of chatter about Dedmon for fultz
Simmons was only -3 in the game though, which was the best among the starters.  Embiid despite having a monster game actually had the worst +- among their starters. 

I will be stunned if they move Fultz for Dedmon.  That seems like a terrible trade for the Sixers (and I actually like Dedmon).

Why? Seems Fultz upside is Evan Turner at this point.

« Reply #1817 on: February 06, 2019, 11:31:45 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
As Celtics fans it is our nature to downplay this , but this is an excellent trade for Phili. They got exactly the type of player they needed for their roster. I still think the Celtics beat them in a 7 game series , but it won’t be quite as easy anymore

« Reply #1818 on: February 06, 2019, 11:44:11 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Interesting stuff here.

Ryan Bernardoni F.C.  🔴

This is, of course, the real issue with the trade from the 76ers perspective. Even if you get Tobias back below the max (😬), once you extend Simmons literally every dollar spent on a player outside the "Big 4" that's above the minimum will be taxed.

7:43 AM - 6 Feb 2019

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1819 on: February 06, 2019, 11:58:55 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Harris is obviously a great weapon and a major upgrade from Chandler. Boban also can do some stuff extremely well (and some other stuff very poorly). And Scott is a solid bench PF. They got a lot beefier around the 3-5 range.

But their guard corps is awful, especially on D - they're gonna have substantial stretches of TJ McConnell trying to stay with Kyrie and Rozier. I have no idea who guards Brown and Morris if Butler's on the bench or otherwise occupied. If they don't get a solid defense + shooting PG either by tomorrow or in buyout season, they're going to have real problems at the 1+2. They really should've asked for Beverly instead of Boban.

And that's without getting into how they emptied their draft pick supply and Harris and Butler could both skip town in 3 months.

Bottom line we're still gonna bust their ass. Or the Bucks or Raps will before we get there. But this doesn't really change their standing in the pecking order.

Probably the two players best suited to play next to Simmons in the entire league are Patrick Beverley and Avery Bradley. Both are built to defend quick point guards but aren't true pg's themselves and can spot up for 3. Philly makes a deal with the team that has both of them and doesn't get either.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #1820 on: February 06, 2019, 11:59:32 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
As Celtics fans it is our nature to downplay this , but this is an excellent trade for Phili. They got exactly the type of player they needed for their roster. I still think the Celtics beat them in a 7 game series , but it won’t be quite as easy anymore

If they can keep Harris long-term, it's probably a win for them unless that Miami pick winds up really high. But I think they were the 4th best in the East before this deal and the 4th best after. And if you assume Golden State's just about inevitable for a ring, they are banking a LOT on the ability to resign Harris and Butler, or at least flip them for assets.

I would be very concerned if they got someone like Beverley to paper over that increasingly thin backcourt, or if they keep their wings this offseason, but this doesn't really move the meter much for me.

« Reply #1821 on: February 06, 2019, 12:23:50 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Probably the two players best suited to play next to Simmons in the entire league are Patrick Beverley and Avery Bradley. Both are built to defend quick point guards but aren't true pg's themselves and can spot up for 3. Philly makes a deal with the team that has both of them and doesn't get either.

I am really surprised they didn't get one of those two players too. (Though it is possible Bradley is cooked). What do people think of trying to build a 4 star model? With how the league has set up the salary cap and luxury tax I have started to think a 3 star and good role players may be the best model there is. I think the Warriors kind of screwed with people's perception of how it could work because they had a couple of players on bargain contracts (including curry on very below market contract). However, even the warriors probably pay the piper this offseason on that.

« Reply #1822 on: February 07, 2019, 03:38:02 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
well, the process is complete as far as premium picks go... for now.
it successfully created a formidable team
we’ll see if they end up winning any championships with their core

« Reply #1823 on: February 07, 2019, 06:29:39 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
One stat regarding the proclaimed "Big 4":
3pt rate:

Tobias      .302
Jimmy      .225 
Embiid      .215
Simmons   .002

Is this enough long range shooting?
Personally, I don't think so.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #1824 on: February 07, 2019, 06:34:41 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
3pt rate:

Tobias      .302
Jimmy      .225 
Embiid      .215
Simmons   .002

Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.?!?!??!

I haven't seen harris play and yesterday i've read many articles saying that he is what the sixers needed to fix their spacing .....  30% ?!??!?!?!??! realy ?!??!

« Reply #1825 on: February 07, 2019, 06:43:46 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
3pt rate:

Tobias      .302
Jimmy      .225 
Embiid      .215
Simmons   .002

****?!?!??!

I haven't seen harris play and yesterday i've read many articles saying that he is what the sixers needed to fix their spacing .....  30% ?!??!?!?!??! realy ?!??!
I have no idea what those stats are. I don't know if 3 point rate is something completely different to 3 point %, but that's the only explanation I can think of.

3 point percentage:
Harris -> .420% since 2017

Butler -> .358% since 2017

Embiid -> .316% over his career

Simmons -> never made a 3 in his career, has only attempted 12
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1826 on: February 07, 2019, 06:46:07 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
3pt rate:

Tobias      .302
Jimmy      .225 
Embiid      .215
Simmons   .002

It really depends on how the pieces fit together.  Harris has become an excellent 3 point shooter (over 40% the past two seasons).  He, Reddick, and Butler (to a lesser extent) should be enough if they keep the ball moving.   

« Reply #1827 on: February 07, 2019, 06:47:51 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
3pt rate:

Tobias      .302
Jimmy      .225 
Embiid      .215
Simmons   .002

I think you are confusing 3 pointers attempted rate with 3point %.

Philly attempts the 14th most 3pters in the nba, but at a not so great of a shooting percentage.

Harris improves both the amount of 3pters taken AND the % at which they are shot

« Reply #1828 on: February 07, 2019, 07:02:21 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
3pt rate:

Tobias      .302
Jimmy      .225 
Embiid      .215
Simmons   .002

I think you are confusing 3 pointers attempted rate with 3point %.

Philly attempts the 14th most 3pters in the nba, but at a not so great of a shooting percentage.

Harris improves both the amount of 3pters taken AND the % at which they are shot
Yes, I wrote the 3pt attempt rates. I think that is a very important stat to consider when imagining Phillis ideal floor geometry.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #1829 on: February 07, 2019, 07:20:03 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
3pt rate:

Tobias      .302
Jimmy      .225 
Embiid      .215
Simmons   .002

****?!?!??!

I have no idea what those stats are. I don't know if 3 point rate is something completely different to 3 point %, but that's the only explanation I can think of.

3 point percentage:
Harris -> .420% since 2017

Butler -> .358% since 2017

Embiid -> .316% over his career

Simmons -> never made a 3 in his career, has only attempted 12
I believe it represents what % of total attempted shots are threes.