Author Topic: Perfect Songs...  (Read 32116 times)

Perfect Songs...
« on: March 19, 2008, 01:45:38 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I listen to music 70% of the time I spend on the computer, regardless of what I'm doing, and i have a music library of about 3000 songs, and once and a while theres' a song that'll come up which i have to replay a good 3 or four times.

I'm pretty much open minded to any music and love to add music when ever possible. So I was wondering if you guys have any songs similar to that. I just want to know know some songs you guys consider Perfect and why. I mean songs that you can listen to without every getting tired of.

Maybe it's just good singing, good story telling, different concept, originality whatever i just wanna try some other stuff while sharing what i like.

Youtube is basically a library of music as well so if you could put up a link so others could listen. Hopefully this thread can last a while.

Re: Perfect Songs...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 01:49:11 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
Right now I’ve been listening to this song for like the last 12:00 minuts.

I can't explain how much I love this song "Put You on Game". It's just perfect too me. Every time I listen to this song I just want to talk about how great it is.

The whole concept of the song and how well it's done is just amazing to me. The song is off "The Cool" by Lupe Fiasco. Here's the concept. The Devil (or in Lupe Fiasco terms the game) has set things up in a way that what's bad for you is what's considered cool. In this song he's rapping as if he's the devil and basically explaining how he uses people to work to his advantage. It’s about how he can be found everywhere and in everything.

If your a religious, and you believe in heaven, hell, god and the devil. This is probably how you'd think the devil would operate. Either way I'm pretty sure most of you will agree that it kind of does. What's considered cool is often what's bad for you or self-destructive.

Well I probably explained it pretty badly, but if you listen I'm sure you'll respect it at least even if you don't like rap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Q93VwaUZM

I have a lot of songs i consider perfect but this is the one that I'm on right now.

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 01:58:08 PM »

Offline cargomaniac

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • It is time for 18
I dont have a link because I am simply too lazy to get it but

Life is a Highway by Tom Cochrane is the greatest song ever...

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 02:03:27 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I own a music shop and pretty much constantly have music playing.  So much so that I notice silence more than I notice music.  I have an I-Tunes library on my computer with 14,000+ songs on it.  I usually get lazy and just let the thing shuffle away.  I started trying to rate the songs (1 start to 5 stars) as I have the time when I'm listening but I usually am busy doing a bunch of other things - like Celtics blog ~oops. 

Right now listening to Los Lobos "Heart to Heart" which is a great tune.  Before that the shuffle played "Canteloupe Island" by Herbie Hancock which a classic but I now find myself inserting the US3 "Yeh...funky funky funky" parts. 

On to Ben Harper from some bootleg "Another Lonely Day"

The songs that I have rated 5 stars so far (and by no means a complete list)

Immortality - Pearl Jam
Jack of Speed - Steely Dan
Ancient Highway - Van Morrison
I've Been Working - " "
Gypsy In My Soul - " "
Never Tell - Violent Femmes
Lucky - Radiohead

I've been pretty stingy with the 5 star ratings and I'm only rating them as I hear them so plenty of great ones may never get rated.  There are probably a bunch more Van Morrison tunes I'd rate 5 stars - love Van - he's got a new one coming out soon.

But basically I love music.  I've been on a huge Muddy Waters kick lately and would probably rate "Sad Sad Day" as pretty close to a perfect song as well.

Gotta stop because I could go on for hours (and I do actually have to do some work - I swear it!)

Yup

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 02:04:19 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The most recent song I have on heavy-rotation is "Delilah", by the Dresden Dolls.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=siQ9yPPcG0E

It's not the most masculine of songs, admittedly, but for anybody who has a friend in an abusive relationship, it resonates.

(Also, sorry about the lame youtube video.  It's the only one on there.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 02:14:18 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Giant Steps - John Coltrane

Mozart's 40th Symphony - Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band

So What - Miles Davis

Song For My Father - Horace Silver

A Night in Tunisia - Charlie Parker & Dizzy Gillespie

Nimrod (From 'Enigma Variations') - Elgar

American Terrorist - Lupe Fiasco

Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton

... just some that I could think of off the top of my head.  Don't know if I'd call any of them perfect, but all pretty close.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 02:30:05 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
The most recent song I have on heavy-rotation is "Delilah", by the Dresden Dolls.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=siQ9yPPcG0E

It's not the most masculine of songs, admittedly, but for anybody who has a friend in an abusive relationship, it resonates.

(Also, sorry about the lame youtube video.  It's the only one on there.)

No such thing as a masculine or non-masculine song hobbs.

or atleast i'd like to believe that when i put Justin Timberlake on.

but yeah i'm going to try to listen to all the songs listed here maybe i'll find something i like.

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 02:31:19 PM »

Offline AllabouttheGREEN

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 66
First off, Big Ticket you have to be a musician to list "Giant Steps!"  Easily, the most difficult jazz standard that I know of to improvise over.  Also, I concur w/ Redz on Steely Dan's "Jack of Speed" rating, quite a beautiful piece of music.  Quite frankly, I'd allocate 5 stars to the entire "Aja" album which was obviously recorded much earlier.  I'm a fairly obsessed guitar player and tend to have the same type of sprawling/eclectic mindset of ManUp and am either listening to music on playing/working in the home studio as much as possible.  About a month ago, I just bought my first Martin acoustic(Yay!) and have been immersed in a whole bunch of somewhat symphonic fingerstyle stuff which is vastly different than the music I tend to play.  As far as music is concerned, didn't Louis Armstrong say; "If it sounds good, it probably is good?"  :)

Identifying the perfect song, is such a daunting task, and I'd guess that it would be more readily easy to identify specific albums that are outstanding from start to finish in many ways.  Did we ever have a Greatest Albums thread?  

"If you don't want to know much about basketball, then watch Gary and Greg on FSN..."

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 02:35:16 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
First off, Big Ticket you have to be a musician to list "Giant Steps!"  Easily, the most difficult jazz standard that I know of to improvise over.  Also, I concur w/ Redz on Steely Dan's "Jack of Speed" rating, quite a beautiful piece of music.  Quite frankly, I'd allocate 5 stars to the entire "Aja" album which was obviously recorded much earlier.  I'm a fairly obsessed guitar player and tend to have the same type of sprawling/eclectic mindset of ManUp and am either listening to music on playing/working in the home studio as much as possible.  About a month ago, I just bought my first Martin acoustic(Yay!) and have been immersed in a whole bunch of somewhat symphonic fingerstyle stuff which is vastly different than the music I tend to play.  As far as music is concerned, didn't Louis Armstrong say; "If it sounds good, it probably is good?"  :)

Identifying the perfect song, is such a daunting task, and I'd guess that it would be more readily easy to identify specific albums that are outstanding from start to finish in many ways.  Did we ever have a Greatest Albums thread? 

Been playing saxophone for about 15 years, studying jazz and improvisation for the last 8 or so... so yeah, I know of the beast that is "Giant Steps".  I have one of the more eclectic music tastes of everyone I know, but when it comes to musical "perfection", I have a hard time anointing anything but the classical or jazz greats as such.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 02:38:07 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
Feel free to list greatest Albums here, AllabouttheGREEN.

Redz, I think I tunes should make a half star type system instead of just always full. 1-5 is just too hard for me, 1-10 rating system would be so much better, IMO. Because there are songs that are almost perfect and songs that can't be beat only matched.

Edit: I don't mean perfect in the sense everyone will instantly like it. I mean in the sense that whatever idea, feeling, story it tries to get across it does it better than any other song.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 02:49:37 PM by ManUp »

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 02:38:48 PM »

Offline Andrew Celtic Nation

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 105
Lately I've been in a Chili Peppers/John Frusciante groove. The Frusciante stuff I like I can listen to over and over. Very mellow stuff but has a meaningful quality to me. Especially the second one I posted here.
Carvel
"http://www.youtube.com/v/1S8OjRjZDOc&hl
Song to Sing When Im Lonely
http://www.youtube.com/v/2aI77UH1U2A&hl=en"
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 02:47:32 PM by Andrew Celtic Nation »

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 02:39:38 PM »

Offline AllabouttheGREEN

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 66
Here's a sublimely beautiful piece by the very odd yet, extremely talented Michael Hedges.  I've been trying to play some of this type of thing for a while.  In many guitar circles, he is viewwed as a profound innovator, much like Jimi or Van Halen, obviously this is quite mellow, but I would also venture to say a perfect piece of music.  Have at it for some mid-day peace of mind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTiyg2lmbOE

Ticket, do you have Sonny Rollins' Saxophone Colossus?  WOW!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 02:48:07 PM by AllabouttheGREEN »

"If you don't want to know much about basketball, then watch Gary and Greg on FSN..."

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 02:41:03 PM »

Offline AHHH GiVE mE a bReaK

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 10

I can't explain how much I love this song "Put You on Game". It's just perfect too me. Every time I listen to this song I just want to talk about how great it is.

The whole concept of the song and how well it's done is just amazing to me. The song is off "The Cool" by Lupe Fiasco. Here's the concept. The Devil (or in Lupe Fiasco terms the game) has set things up in a way that what's bad for you is what's considered cool. In this song he's rapping as if he's the devil and basically explaining how he
uses people to work to his advantage. It’s about how he can be found everywhere and in everything.

If your a religious, and you believe in heaven, hell, god and the devil. This is probably how you'd think the devil would operate. Either way I'm pretty sure most of you will agree that it kind of does. What's considered cool is often what's bad for you or self-destructive.

Well I probably explained it pretty badly, but if you listen I'm sure you'll respect it at least even if you don't like rap.

I have a lot of songs i consider perfect but this is the one that I'm on right now.

I freaking Love Lupe Fiasco. I Have both of his Albums and I'm going to his concert in May at the tweeter center.

Lupe's music contains passion and meaning. He raps about what he stands for, what he likes, and whats wrong. He is the man.

The songs that I've been listening to over and over again lately have been:

"Maggie's Farm" covered by Rage Against the Machine

"Renegades of Funk" by Rage Against the Machine

"hurt me soul" by Lupe Fiasco

"and he gets the girl" by Lupe Fiasco

"go with the flow" by Queens of the Stone Age

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 02:49:01 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73

The whole concept of the song and how well it's done is just amazing to me. The song is off "The Cool" by Lupe Fiasco. Here's the concept. The Devil (or in Lupe Fiasco terms the game) has set things up in a way that what's bad for you is what's considered cool. In this song he's rapping as if he's the devil and basically explaining how he
uses people to work to his advantage. It’s about how he can be found everywhere and in everything.

I freaking Love Lupe Fiasco. I Have both of his Albums and I'm going to his concert in May at the tweeter center.

Lupe's music contains passion and meaning. He raps about what he stands for, what he likes, and whats wrong. He is the man.

The songs that I've been listening to over and over again lately have been:

"Maggie's Farm" covered by Rage Against the Machine

"Renegades of Funk" by Rage Against the Machine

"hurt me soul" by Lupe Fiasco

"and he gets the girl" by Lupe Fiasco

"go with the flow" by Queens of the Stone Age

I think Lupe is the best rapper out right now.  Hurt me Soul and Put You On the Game are 2 of my favorite songs.

2 Others that I love are:

Regrets - Jay-Z
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duUx6laBZUg
Coming of Age - Jay-Z
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RC_z_zpims
Coming of age might be my favorite songs
I will post more when the songs pop into my head
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 02:51:17 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Don't know if they are perfect, but here's some favorites.

Redemption Song- Bob Marley

Round Here- Counting Crows

Why Does Love Have to Be So Sad- Derek and the Dominos

Take Five- Dave Brubeck

At Last- Etta James

I Shall be Released- The Band

Nantucket Sleighride- Mountain

One Way Out- Allman Brothers

When I'm gone- Phil Ochs

Jimmy Newman- Tom Paxton

Blowing in the Wind- Dylan

and sadly to say, I really like, Two out of Three- Meatloaf