Author Topic: Falling behind/blowing leads to learn a lesson  (Read 2266 times)

Falling behind/blowing leads to learn a lesson
« on: March 17, 2019, 03:01:20 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I've watched almost every game for the past few seasons and this season is no exception. Like a lot of you guys, I was very high on the team at the start of the year, thought we had the 1 seed in the bag. The way our team played for the first 20 games was painful to watch, but when they turned it around, I got my hopes up again. Then came those bad losses around the allstar break. It's been very up and down. To my ppint - watching yesterday's game got me thinking. A big portion of this forum is complaining about Brad and his coaching. While I agree he's to blame for some of the problems, let's not act like he doesnt see the stuff we see (Morris being a chucker/ballstopper, Tatum having tunnel vision, Rozier being Rozier). My theory is that he deliberately lets them lose big leads or get into big holes, just so he sees how the team responds and giving them a chance to "rehearse" how to win after losing all momentum (which is a difficult thing to do). I think a team learns more after a win like yesterday than a win like vs the Bulls earlier in the year, or the Dubs.

There's no way we're getting higher than a 3 seed, if at that. So why not force your team to the limit and make them practice for when the games really count.

Re: Falling behind/blowing leads to learn a lesson
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 04:31:35 AM »

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
Wow, intentionally blowing big leads; while we play checkers Brad is out there playing 4D chess

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 05:21:30 AM »

Offline safecracker

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
  • JJ8
I wouldn't go as far as to say that Brad "deliberately" blows leads and digs holes.
But I have always had a feeling that some of his "questionable rotations" and game decisions (especially early in the season) are more about a) figuring out for himself and his players what works and what doesn't, and b) giving the players experience and an opportunity to learn how to get out of/avoid those situations.
In short: sometimes a learning experience is more valuable long term, than just trying to win a game by playing the starters heavy minutes.

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 06:26:50 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
We usually start giving up leads because of offensive droughts and most of the time that happens whem Kyrie is sitting. It's painful to watch a lineup of Smart, Rozier, Morris, Theis and Ojeleye try to play offense. I'm pretty sure Brad is aware of their offensive limitations and knows that the minute he puts Kyrie in, the offense has at least a chance of getting something. My point is, a lot of times he keeps Irving and Horford out for a long time, even during long runs by our opponents and I believe it is not due to him being incompetent and oblivious, but to kind of force them to figure it out. I think it could pay dividends come playoff time.

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 06:29:23 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
I wouldn't go as far as to say that Brad "deliberately" blows leads and digs holes.
But I have always had a feeling that some of his "questionable rotations" and game decisions (especially early in the season) are more about a) figuring out for himself and his players what works and what doesn't, and b) giving the players experience and an opportunity to learn how to get out of/avoid those situations.
In short: sometimes a learning experience is more valuable long term, than just trying to win a game by playing the starters heavy minutes.
That's what I meant. He doesnt do it on purpose, but when it starts happening, he lets it happen, because it's more important in the long run for the team to figure things like these out, than to stop a run during a meaningless regular season game vs the Hawks.

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 07:29:59 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Id like to see some team by team stats of lead blowing/comebacks...

I suspect we are in the top half.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 07:42:02 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
Id like to see some team by team stats of lead blowing/comebacks...

I suspect we are in the top half.
I'd say top 3

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 10:30:53 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

He overcoaches sometimes by resting guys who are on a roll time and time again.   I hope it pays off in the playoffs.

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 10:31:01 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
It’s good that you watch every game.  And yeah, you don’t need a rocket scientist to know that no higher that third is the reality.

But here’s a question.  Do you watch every game for other teams too.  How do we know other teams don’t blow leads too?  The nba is a game of runs.

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 10:48:44 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
It’s frustrating to watch. I do think a “healthy” GHayward was supposed to help a lot with this lack of offense when Kyrie and Horford sit, and more and more lately, he has.

But to your point it is 1) aggravating, and 2) I do think it’s a bit of Brad just letting others guys try to figur it out while not riding Kyrie and Brad too much.

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 10:50:02 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Kyrie and Horford too much

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 10:54:55 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
i'm not a fan of what steven's let's happen or encourages, specifically the lazy, settle for jump shots offense. that's where we lose games, that's where we've lost games all season and that's what's gotten us eliminated in the playoffs every yr. and it's what will get us eliminated this yr..

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 11:50:56 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
i'm not a fan of what steven's let's happen or encourages, specifically the lazy, settle for jump shots offense. that's where we lose games, that's where we've lost games all season and that's what's gotten us eliminated in the playoffs every yr. and it's what will get us eliminated this yr..
It's amazing how wrongly people look at our playoffs runs. You do realize we've gotten much farther in the playoffs then we had any business going? For the level of talent this team has had over the years, we should have lost to Milwaukee last year, and Washington the year before.that. We have such a warped view of how good our teams are.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 12:11:08 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
It's amazing how wrongly people look at our playoffs runs. You do realize we've gotten much farther in the playoffs then we had any business going? For the level of talent this team has had over the years, we should have lost to Milwaukee last year, and Washington the year before.that. We have such a warped view of how good our teams are.

Or maybe Bill Belichek is right and you are who your record says you are.

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2019, 12:15:48 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I've watched almost every game for the past few seasons and this season is no exception. Like a lot of you guys, I was very high on the team at the start of the year, thought we had the 1 seed in the bag. The way our team played for the first 20 games was painful to watch, but when they turned it around, I got my hopes up again. Then came those bad losses around the allstar break. It's been very up and down. To my ppint - watching yesterday's game got me thinking. A big portion of this forum is complaining about Brad and his coaching. While I agree he's to blame for some of the problems, let's not act like he doesnt see the stuff we see (Morris being a chucker/ballstopper, Tatum having tunnel vision, Rozier being Rozier). My theory is that he deliberately lets them lose big leads or get into big holes, just so he sees how the team responds and giving them a chance to "rehearse" how to win after losing all momentum (which is a difficult thing to do). I think a team learns more after a win like yesterday than a win like vs the Bulls earlier in the year, or the Dubs.

There's no way we're getting higher than a 3 seed, if at that. So why not force your team to the limit and make them practice for when the games really count.

I've also suspected that Brad plays the long game. He tries to win and develop/teach at the same time. This could be the reason for not calling "timely" timeouts. If that is, in fact, his plan then it could account for some of his questionable coaching decisions. I feel it's no secret that Brad doesn't call what anyone would call the classic game.

I've also suspected that when he and Danny sit in the war room, with their Milk and Cookies, they have designed a plan that allows for the showcasing of certain players in the hope of creating enough interest to land Anthony Davis. With the problems concerning Hayward and the mega injury he sustained, Danny feels Kyrie isn't enough and all roads lead to Davis. Look at Danny's track record, it's very possible.