Author Topic: Sullinger Questioning Brad's Substition?  (Read 3859 times)

Sullinger Questioning Brad's Substition?
« on: February 06, 2016, 10:59:47 AM »

Offline Yenohb

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 73
https://youtu.be/oCv3lRYbpw4?t=28

Turner shooting and 1 free throw. BS decides to sub Smart for Sullinger. Sullinger seems to disagree with the substitution based on his reaction. Did I get it right?

Re: Sullinger Questioning Brad's Substition?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 11:07:42 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
And then Smart makes a play that leads to our best victory of the season.

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 11:09:46 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Turner shooting and 1 free throw. BS decides to sub Smart for Sullinger. Sullinger seems to disagree with the substitution based on his reaction. Did I get it right?

Yes because Smart came in for him when we needed a rebound and Sully is by far the best rebounder on the team.

I don't think he realized that Smart was coming in (a) to foul and then (b) to be on the court if a 3 pointer was required.

I don't have a problem with that reaction.

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 11:13:55 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
And then Smart makes a play that leads to our best victory of the season.

Heckuva play on Mozgov.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 11:16:55 AM »

Offline Yenohb

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 73

Yes because Smart came in for him when we needed a rebound and Sully is by far the best rebounder on the team.

I don't think he realized that Smart was coming in (a) to foul and then (b) to be on the court if a 3 pointer was required.

The reaction to me looks like a complete lack of trust in his coach.

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 11:18:15 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Gotta love the fight in Marcus .. :D

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 11:32:19 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

The reaction to me looks like a complete lack of trust in his coach.
to interpret in this way what could have been simply an emotional player's resistance to leaving the game at a crucial juncture seems to be a stretch.

"complete lack of trust" does seem overboard here.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 11:43:54 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Interesting question, though. Why on Earth DID Stevens make that sub? It turned out well, but that was a pretty improbable way for things to play out. Wasn't our best chance a miss and offensive rebound?

Maybe he was conceding the rebound and wanted Smart's footspeed to go all out trying to defend/steal the inbound or, failing that, get the foul faster?

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 11:45:49 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Interesting question, though. Why on Earth DID Stevens make that sub? It turned out well, but that was a pretty improbable way for things to play out. Wasn't our best chance a miss and offensive rebound?

I think the assumption was that Turner was actually going to make the FT then Smart would be there to defend the Cavs inbound pass.  Obviously try to force a turnover but, if not, at least foul.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 11:46:33 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Smart got away with 2-3 fouls there (fine with it, offsets the LBJ factor). Not sure if they were intentional or not? I suspect no, since jumping on a dude's back seems to be the way to go these days...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 11:47:39 AM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
Why is Sully's desire to be in at crunch time considered a bad thing?  Would it had been better if he was relieved that coach took him out with the game on the line? 

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 12:04:01 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
Sully's body language is terrible IMO.  Doesn't seem to pay attention when in the huddle, which I am sure others have noticed.  I saw this reaction last night and can't blame him for wanting to be out there, but at the same time your coach is there for a reason.  Too many question marks and concerns with Sully and his contract coming up.  Free Mickey!!!

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 12:09:05 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Smart got away with 2-3 fouls there (fine with it, offsets the LBJ factor). Not sure if they were intentional or not? I suspect no, since jumping on a dude's back seems to be the way to go these days...

Yes, this is another thought that occurred to me. Throw Smart in there in a late game situation- he can climb Mozgov like a tree and the refs won't want to blow the whistle. Sullinger, however, would never get away with it. Would something like that actually factor into Stevens' thinking?

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 12:13:52 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Why is Sully's desire to be in at crunch time considered a bad thing?  Would it had been better if he was relieved that coach took him out with the game on the line?

Right?  Some people just look for any excuse to bash him.

I'm surprised people don't get mad when he stands still while boxing out/setting a pick
I'm bitter.

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 12:15:47 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I saw that too, and in my opinion, the idiot should be questioning his FT shooting down the stretch.

Didn't his dad already talk with him about maturity and body language on the court?  From what I've seen all year, he hasn't listened at all.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale