Poll

Given what each would cost, and their respective ages/contracts, who would you want?

Andre Drummond
8 (8.3%)
Myles Turner
20 (20.8%)
Clint Capela
4 (4.2%)
Marc Gasol
4 (4.2%)
Hassan Whiteside
1 (1%)
Jusuf Nurkic
6 (6.3%)
Cody Zeller
4 (4.2%)
Derrick Favors
6 (6.3%)
Steven Adams
11 (11.5%)
A Young Guy
0 (0%)
Dwayne Dedmon
5 (5.2%)
Ehhh, none  are worth what it would cost
27 (28.1%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Big Man Options  (Read 71564 times)

Re: Big Man Options
« Reply #120 on: November 02, 2019, 11:07:59 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Always go for a bargain. Most of these big men don't really provide anything else for their price. Wait for a buyout market or trade for someone cheap like Noel.

Going for someone on the cheap really isn't any better than giving up something of value to get something of value. If you go cheap, you get cheap results.

And I'm not sure Noel is better than anybody currently on the team.

I agree.

Celts went that route with Greg Monroe and it was the perfect example of going cheap and ending up with cheap results.

Also, RWill is better than Nerlens Noel right now.

« Reply #121 on: November 02, 2019, 11:26:31 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Always go for a bargain. Most of these big men don't really provide anything else for their price. Wait for a buyout market or trade for someone cheap like Noel.

Going for someone on the cheap really isn't any better than giving up something of value to get something of value. If you go cheap, you get cheap results.

I agree.

Celts went that route with Greg Monroe and it was the perfect example of going cheap and ending up with cheap results.

I'd say so. I really want to see more RW3. I think we might have something very special in him. Athletic 6'8 player who can block, defend, throw down the alley oop.

« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2019, 11:20:53 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

I agree.

I'd say so. I really want to see more RW3. I think we might have something very special in him. Athletic 6'8 player who can block, defend, throw down the alley oop.

I agree with giving TIMELORD minutes but he has been a little injury prone. I think Vincent Poirier might be useful once the game slows down for him. He seems  a step slow right now but I think it's more metal than physical but time will tell.

« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2019, 11:25:14 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Rob Williams can be the big man of the future for the Celts.

But right now, RWill is just not ready to handle the full load in the playoffs.

This Celtics team, in my opinion, can reach the east finals this season.

« Reply #124 on: November 03, 2019, 11:29:39 AM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Those who were not sold on Sabonis before the season started, Sabonis is averaging 21.8 ppg and 11.4 rpg so far.
David Lee was once a 20 and 10 guy, as well.

Just because you put up counting numbers does not mean you are incredibly valuable. Sabonis is good for what he is: post scoring and rebounding. He is a mediocre to bad defender who doesn't protect the rim and can't guard the pick and roll. I also need to see him be more of a floor spacer, which is something he has never done on a consistent basis.

Sabonis is not the type of big I want on this team. Myles Turner, on the other hand...

Not like it matters anyway. The Pacers aren't trading either of them.

« Reply #125 on: November 03, 2019, 11:34:25 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Those who were not sold on Sabonis before the season started, Sabonis is averaging 21.8 ppg and 11.4 rpg so far.

Just because you put up counting numbers does not mean you are incredibly valuable. Sabonis is good for what he is: post scoring and rebounding. He is a mediocre to bad defender who doesn't protect the rim and can't guard the pick and roll. I also need to see him be more of a floor spacer, which is something he has never done on a consistent basis.

Sabonis is not the type of big I want on this team. Myles Turner, on the other hand...

I think Kanter is as good or better than Sabonis.

« Reply #126 on: November 03, 2019, 12:11:39 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

I think Kanter is as good or better than Sabonis.

Kanter pleasant surprise but c’mon.

« Reply #127 on: November 03, 2019, 12:14:47 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Unless people are willing to give up Smart in a trade I don't see viable trades.  Maybe a buyout candidate, but is anyone that is getting bought out better than what we have and willing to sign for the vet minimum?

« Reply #128 on: November 03, 2019, 12:32:52 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

This, TP for pointing out how faulty box stats are. I do think that Sabonis can bring significant value to a team though if he improves his passing and maintains his outside shooting efficiency on higher volume, if he manages to make those improvements to his game he'll be a great offensive piece for any team. His defense imo is a bit underrated, he gets into the right spot enough to make me think that he isn't anything less than a neutral defender. With that being said I wouldn't trade Jaylen Brown for him lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #129 on: November 03, 2019, 12:35:25 PM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
I add a [ick to Jaylen for him.  Probably a lottery protected first.

« Reply #130 on: November 03, 2019, 12:37:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Add a pick to Jaylen for who?

Sabonis?

Neither Brown nor Sabonis are eligible to be traded until their teams' seasons end. Neither is being traded this year.

« Reply #131 on: November 03, 2019, 12:47:36 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown

Sabonis?

Neither Brown nor Sabonis are eligible to be traded until their teams' seasons end. Neither is being traded this year.

They theoretically could be traded but the mechanics of it make it almost impossible. Because they signed extensions they only count for 3-4m in outgoing salary but their incoming salary is significantly higher.  It  makes the cap math almost impossible.

« Reply #132 on: November 03, 2019, 12:54:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Sabonis?

They theoretically could be traded but the mechanics of it make it almost impossible. Because they signed extensions they only count for 3-4m in outgoing salary but their incoming salary is significantly higher.  It  makes the cap math almost impossible.
No....once you sign an extension you are unable to be traded for 6 months. That ends after the trade deadline for this season so they can't be traded until after the team's season ends.

« Reply #133 on: November 03, 2019, 01:53:11 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown

Sabonis?

No....once you sign an extension you are unable to be traded for 6 months. That ends after the trade deadline for this season so they can't be traded until after the team's season ends.

Pretty sure the 6 month thing applies to FA/RFA signings this what I read from Karalis.

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/10/jaylen-brown-contract-extension-5-ways-this-impacts-the-boston-celtics.html

"This contract now falls under what’s called the “poison pill provision.”

So what that means is if Brown was to be traded between now and when the extension kicks in, his value for the receiving team is the average of this, the final year of his rookie deal, and the value of his extension. That’s number is about $24.3 million.

However, the Celtics would use his current year’s salary, about $6.5 million.

That makes matching salaries extraordinarily difficult. It’s not impossible, but, basically, forget it."

« Reply #134 on: November 03, 2019, 02:01:21 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Sabonis?

Pretty sure the 6 month thing applies to FA/RFA signings this what I read from Karalis.

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/10/jaylen-brown-contract-extension-5-ways-this-impacts-the-boston-celtics.html

"This contract now falls under what’s called the “poison pill provision.”

So what that means is if Brown was to be traded between now and when the extension kicks in, his value for the receiving team is the average of this, the final year of his rookie deal, and the value of his extension. That’s number is about $24.3 million.

However, the would use his current year’s salary, about $6.5 million.

That makes matching salaries extraordinarily difficult. It’s not impossible, but, basically, forget it."

Somewhat true. The Mavs have a exemption of 11.5 million. The Cs could deal Brown to another team. The other team could trade a rotation guy to the Mavs into their excemption. And the other team could send back something in the 6-10 million range to the Cs.

I wouldn't do this deal, but this is an example.
The Cs receive Bam
The Heat receive Brown, trade excemption
The Mavs receive a 2nd, Leonard