Poll

Given what each would cost, and their respective ages/contracts, who would you want?

Andre Drummond
8 (8.3%)
Myles Turner
20 (20.8%)
Clint Capela
4 (4.2%)
Marc Gasol
4 (4.2%)
Hassan Whiteside
1 (1%)
Jusuf Nurkic
6 (6.3%)
Cody Zeller
4 (4.2%)
Derrick Favors
6 (6.3%)
Steven Adams
11 (11.5%)
A Young Guy
0 (0%)
Dwayne Dedmon
5 (5.2%)
Ehhh, none  are worth what it would cost
27 (28.1%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Big Man Options  (Read 71620 times)

Re: Big Man Options
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2019, 10:21:51 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
This might just be reporters drumming up talking points, but I have heard Capella might be available from multiple places now.

Why would the Rockets trade him? In short, if they think they could fill most of his production as a rim runner through a cheaper option, they could trade him away to try to get a lesser rim runner and more depth.

They desperately lack depth right now. They are giving McLemore, Sefalosa, Rivers, and House a lot of minutes right now. Those guys are end of the bench players at best.

The Cs almost have too many guys right now. They could trade Ojeleye or Green if the Rockets liked either of those cheap depth options. Theis and Kanter would probably have to be included for salary purposes (or Smart).

A potential deal could be Kanter, Langford, and Williams for Capella. Or Kanter, Langford, and Ojeleye for Capella. Or Smart and Williams for Capella.

I wouldn't do this deal, because I think Williams will be at that level one day--maybe soon. But still, a trade like that could work.

is Capella that good or are you that desperate for a big? WOW.

« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2019, 10:34:07 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
This might just be reporters drumming up talking points, but I have heard Capella might be available from multiple places now.

Why would the Rockets trade him? In short, if they think they could fill most of his production as a rim runner through a cheaper option, they could trade him away to try to get a lesser rim runner and more depth.

They desperately lack depth right now. They are giving McLemore, Sefalosa, Rivers, and House a lot of minutes right now. Those guys are end of the bench players at best.

The Cs almost have too many guys right now. They could trade Ojeleye or Green if the Rockets liked either of those cheap depth options. Theis and Kanter would probably have to be included for salary purposes (or Smart).

A potential deal could be Kanter, Langford, and Williams for Capella. Or Kanter, Langford, and Ojeleye for Capella. Or Smart and Williams for Capella.

I wouldn't do this deal, because I think Williams will be at that level one day--maybe soon. But still, a trade like that could work.

I'd get crucified either way, but in my original draft of that post I said that I didn't think he was enough of an upgrade for us to make that trade. 

I like small ball. I like our bigs. I think internal growth is the path forward unless the perfect big is available (ahem, KAT). In my opinion giving up Williams and Langford on rookie contracts is too much for a player like Capella, especially when you have to include Theis or Kanter too.

I'm just saying its an option.

« Reply #107 on: October 31, 2019, 09:04:28 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
I can't find a big that we can make salaries work with that's much of an upgrade over what we have. Noel is really the only one but i'm not sure if he's an upgrade over TIMELORD!

« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2019, 12:12:10 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I'd get crucified either way, but in my original draft of that post I said that I didn't think he was enough of an upgrade for us to make that trade. 

I like small ball. I like our bigs. I think internal growth is the path forward unless the perfect big is available (ahem, KAT). In my opinion giving up Williams and Langford on rookie contracts is too much for a player like Capella, especially when you have to include Theis or Kanter too.

I'm just saying its an option.

You shouldn't be crucified at all for mentioning Capela.
https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-rumors-could-clint-capela-174229575.html

Windhorst also noted veteran big man Steven Adams could be a Celtics target if the Oklahoma City Thunder make him available. But during a recent appearance on "The Bill Simmons Podcast," NBC Sports Boston contributor Chris Mannix suggested Capela is the apple of Boston's eye.

"I think the guy they're sitting on, really, is Clint Capela," Mannix said. "I think they'd love to take a Daniel Theis contract and maybe a couple other small things and a draft pick and go get a guy like that."

« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2019, 12:14:09 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Rockets will not give up Capela if the Rockets are in the hunt.

« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2019, 12:29:10 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Those who were not sold on Sabonis before the season started, Sabonis is averaging 21.8 ppg and 11.4 rpg so far.

« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2019, 04:12:52 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Golden State might be willing to let Willie Cauley-Stein go now that they seem out of contention. He's a legit 7 foot defensive big.

« Reply #112 on: November 02, 2019, 07:55:19 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Golden State might be willing to let Willie Cauley-Stein go now that they seem out of contention. He's a legit 7 foot defensive big.

Poirier for WCS.

« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2019, 08:14:13 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
That is actually a solid suggestion.  I doubt GSW would make him available for a while though.  They don't want to look like they're tanking too soon. 

« Reply #114 on: November 02, 2019, 08:19:44 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
That is actually a solid suggestion.  I doubt GSW would make him available for a while though.  They don't want to look like they're tanking too soon.

WCS can't be traded until December.

I think GSW will give him up if the price is right.

« Reply #115 on: November 02, 2019, 08:21:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Well, he is a newly signed free agent so he won't be eligible to trade until December 15th.

« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2019, 08:25:48 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Well, he is a newly signed free agent so he won't be eligible to trade until December 15th.
Doesn't seem like there would be too much competition for his services.  Did the Lakers try to get him in the offseason or am I misremembering? 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 08:41:22 PM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #117 on: November 02, 2019, 10:02:43 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Always go for a bargain. Most of these big men don't really provide anything else for their price. Wait for a buyout market or trade for someone cheap like Noel.

« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2019, 10:20:32 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Always go for a bargain. Most of these big men don't really provide anything else for their price. Wait for a buyout market or trade for someone cheap like Noel.

Going for someone on the cheap really isn't any better than giving up something of value to get something of value. If you go cheap, you get cheap results.

And I'm not sure Noel is better than anybody currently on the team.

« Reply #119 on: November 02, 2019, 11:06:26 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598

Going for someone on the cheap really isn't any better than giving up something of value to get something of value. If you go cheap, you get cheap results.

And I'm not sure Noel is better than anybody currently on the team.
Neither as these bigs available. None of them can really provide anything else aside from rebounding and interior defense. Noel can provide both for cheap. Might as well bring back Baynes if possible.

It only feels like yesterday when some of people here even wanted to trade our Nets pick (which turned out to be Jaylen) for Noel.