Author Topic: Dragan Bender  (Read 29962 times)

Re: Dragan Bender
« Reply #150 on: April 24, 2016, 04:06:57 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I can't help but think that last nights performance from Jerebko helped to show the potential value of bender. Jerebko and bender are players cut from a simulate cloth in terms of NBA player niche. Only bender projects to the apex of this niche. Bender like Jerebko has excellent mobility for his size and has some ability both offensively and defensively to player either forward position. Now at 7'1 bender is not going to be able to guard many NBA starting SF but will be fine in switches. Something we also see in the 6'10 Jerebko.

Imagining a 7'1 Jerebko who is a better passer and better off the dribble gives me hope for bender if the Cs do not land a top two pick and can not trade for a star.

So you're saying that Dragan Bender is a better version of Jerebko - a guy who was drafted 39th overall in 2009 and hasn't averaged over 20 minutes a game since the 2011 season?

Awesome, sign me right up for that guy with my #3 pick!!!

Maybe his ceiling might be better described as having the potential to be Gallinari on offense and Giannis on defense.  You might even be able to simply describe him as possibly Giannis with a three-point shot or maybe Toni Kukoc if he had defense that might be more valuable than his offense.

I'm not sure if Bender will be a star or even a quality NBA starter, but I think it is undeniable that he has the physical tools to have clear star potential.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2016, 07:04:24 PM »

Offline Jarrin John

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 41
I can't help but think that last nights performance from Jerebko helped to show the potential value of bender. Jerebko and bender are players cut from a simulate cloth in terms of NBA player niche. Only bender projects to the apex of this niche. Bender like Jerebko has excellent mobility for his size and has some ability both offensively and defensively to player either forward position. Now at 7'1 bender is not going to be able to guard many NBA starting SF but will be fine in switches. Something we also see in the 6'10 Jerebko.

Imagining a 7'1 Jerebko who is a better passer and better off the dribble gives me hope for bender if the Cs do not land a top two pick and can not trade for a star.
Imagine a 7'1 Larry Bird. Wow. And we can get this guy with the #3 pick? Stop the presses, we're winning the next 10 championships.

Jerebko, for the record, did horrible on switches yesterday. Every time he ended up on a guard it was pretty much a free basket for Atl. I have no idea what Brad S was thinking with this defensive plan.

Interesting opinion. I was just reading an article that said just the opposite. Except this article had actual statistics to support their position. Check it out: http://www.celticsblog.com/2016/4/23/11493502/jonas-jerebko-versatile-defense-integral-to-boston-celtics-game-3-atlanta-hawks-nba-playoffs
Except that the article (a blog post, really) has no statistics that relate to switch defense in Friday's game, of course.

It's fantastic that the author managed ti find two possessions to rub together that ended up not so well for the Hawks, but the Celtics weren't exactly containing Teague or Schroder all game (combined for ~50% shooting, 14 free throws, and 43 points in less than 55 minutes between the two of them) -- and a lot of that damage came on switched pick and rolls and drives to the basket, especially in the second half.

A good number of those switches were, in fact, unnecessary (they happened before any picks were even set, it was completely mind-boggling, really). The Hawks were very clearly looking for this when they were trying to rally themselves back into the game.

Maybe you should read it again. You didn't do so good the first time.

« Reply #152 on: April 24, 2016, 08:05:04 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
So if the allegation is that Bender would be Jerebko on steroids.  You have to wonder how good that would project to be.  Jerebko is killing it against the hawks in game 4 btw.  Real big spark plug for us.

If we had Isaiah Thomas on steriods, ie in a longer, more athletic package, that would be pretty darn good.  How good is Bender?  No idea...   But he's projected top 4 for a reason right?

reading the article:
"The Celtics had a terrific 95.4 defensive rating with Jerebko on the floor against the Hawks and a tremendous +16.2 net rating."

""It helps a lot. It goes back to last year because I think we ran that lineup a lot last year," Isaiah Thomas said when asked about the Jerebko-Crowder frontcourt. "We were very successful in making teams adjust to us on both ends. Jonas is a versatile player that can guard multiple positions."

Going back to last season, the Celtics have a +27.5 Net Rating (131.7 offensive rating, 104.2 defensive rating) in 167 possessions with that pairing, according to NBAWowy.com. The Celtics used it again over the final 2:15 and outscored the Hawks 6-2."

« Reply #153 on: April 24, 2016, 08:20:43 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
Big bust.
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #154 on: April 25, 2016, 02:16:41 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

So you're saying that Dragan Bender is a better version of Jerebko - a guy who was drafted 39th overall in 2009 and hasn't averaged over 20 minutes a game since the 2011 season?

Awesome, sign me right up for that guy with my #3 pick!!!

Maybe his ceiling might be better described as having the potential to be Gallinari on offense and Giannis on defense.  You might even be able to simply describe him as possibly Giannis with a three-point shot or maybe Toni Kukoc if he had defense that might be more valuable than his offense.

I'm not sure if Bender will be a star or even a quality NBA starter, but I think it is undeniable that he has the physical tools to have clear star potential.

I do not see any of those comparisons.

I see Gallinari as a very talented scorer who can create his own offence and can score in a variety of ways.  As a result I feel he is a guy who can carry a team's offence for periods of time, although I do feel he's more suited as a #2 option. 

I don't feel that way about Bender.  Bender is absolutely 100% incapable of creating any offence.  He cannot isolate, he can't really beat guys off the dribble and drive effectively to the basket, he isn't very effective in post up situations, he poor at hitting contested jumpers.  He is such a basic and limited scorer that he is a guy who pretty much needs to be spoon fed the ball in order for him to be able to score.  The only way he can really score without being 'spoonfed' is off offensive rebounds / putbacks.  He has all the offensive talent of DeAndre Jordan / Tyson Chandler, but with the addition of a (fairly average / mediocre) jump shot. 

Defensively, he's nothing like Giannis.  Giannis is an elite athlete who has the type of speed/quickness that is impressive even by guard standards, and who can jump out of the gym.  He's an absolute physical specimen and a golden standard of athleticism.  Bender is nowhere near Giannis athletically.  He's nowhere near as quick, nowhere near as fast, and he cannot jump.  Athletically I would say he is closer to a young Ryan Hollins but minus the leaping ability.

Not getting the Kukoc comparison either.  Kukoc was basically a 6'11" small forward with point guard skills.  Bender doesn't handle the ball like a guard, doesn't doesn't pass the ball like a guard, and doesn't shoot the ball like a guard - Kukoc did all three.  Bender just handles/passes the ball like a 7 footer with good handling/passing skills (think: Kelly Olynyk or David Lee). 

I absolutely see why people can predict Bender being a valuable NBA player because of his versatility and his ability to do a little bit of everything...but I don't get how people believe he is top 5 worthy, or how anybody sees star potential in him.  I don't think he has any more 'star' potential then Sabonis or Poeltyl.  In fact I think Labissiere has FAR more upside, and will probably turn out becoming a better player. 

« Reply #155 on: April 25, 2016, 02:25:18 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
So if the allegation is that Bender would be Jerebko on steroids.  You have to wonder how good that would project to be.  Jerebko is killing it against the hawks in game 4 btw.  Real big spark plug for us.

If we had Isaiah Thomas on steriods, ie in a longer, more athletic package, that would be pretty darn good.  How good is Bender?  No idea...   But he's projected top 4 for a reason right?

reading the article:
"The Celtics had a terrific 95.4 defensive rating with Jerebko on the floor against the Hawks and a tremendous +16.2 net rating."

""It helps a lot. It goes back to last year because I think we ran that lineup a lot last year," Isaiah Thomas said when asked about the Jerebko-Crowder frontcourt. "We were very successful in making teams adjust to us on both ends. Jonas is a versatile player that can guard multiple positions."

Going back to last season, the Celtics have a +27.5 Net Rating (131.7 offensive rating, 104.2 defensive rating) in 167 possessions with that pairing, according to NBAWowy.com. The Celtics used it again over the final 2:15 and outscored the Hawks 6-2."

Let me remind you of some of the other guys who have been projected to go high in the lottery in the past...

Thomas Robinson
Darko Milicic
Evan Turner
Wesley Johnson
Derrick Williams
Dion Waiters
Michael Kidd Gilchrist
Anthony Bennett
Otto Porter
Cody Zeller
Hasheem Thabeet
Michael Beaqsley
OJ Mayo
Yi Jianlian
Adam Morrison
Tyrus Thomas
Shelden Williams

I could go on, but I won't. 

Fact is that mock drafts are predictions.  If you look at the top 5 or 6 guys each year you will find that the mock drafts often get 2 or 3 guys very right, and 2 or 3 guys very, very wrong.

The fact that everybody is drooling over Bender hardly means that he is is a sure thing.

« Reply #156 on: April 25, 2016, 02:38:17 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

reading the article:

Let me remind you of some of the other guys who have been projected to go high in the lottery in the past...

Thomas Robinson
Darko Milicic
Evan Turner
Wesley Johnson
Derrick Williams
Dion Waiters
Michael Kidd Gilchrist
Anthony Bennett
Otto Porter
Cody Zeller
Hasheem Thabeet
Michael Beaqsley
OJ Mayo
Yi Jianlian
Adam Morrison
Tyrus Thomas
Shelden Williams

Fact is that mock drafts are predictions.  If you look at the top 5 or 6 guys each year you will find that the mock drafts often get 2 or 3 guys very right, and 2 or 3 guys very, very wrong.

The fact that everybody is drooling over Bender hardly means that he is is a sure thing.
Bender is actually a huge question mark and is the younger than Ingram. He does not have elite length, though it is pretty good, nothing that would make me take him and not try and trade the pick for Cousins.

In comparison the 2017 draft has much much better quality 4's and 5's and more of them. EDRICE ADEBAYO is ranked around 10 and I would take him over Bender right now. Thomas Bryant will be a good guy to pick and Jeanne hopefully will be around so we can snatch him with a 2nd first round pick if we get it. Most ppl think Jeanne will take longer but Bam Bam could be a huge help right away.

There're even a few more bigs like ISAIAH HARTENSTEIN and a couple others that will be very fun to watch.

If you like bender then I think you would like Hartenstein very much dude.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 02:45:53 AM by Future Celtics Owner »

« Reply #157 on: April 25, 2016, 03:20:30 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

reading the article:

Thomas Robinson
Darko Milicic
Evan Turner
Wesley Johnson
Derrick Williams
Dion Waiters
Michael Kidd Gilchrist
Anthony Bennett
Otto Porter
Cody Zeller
Hasheem Thabeet
Michael Beaqsley
OJ Mayo
Yi Jianlian
Adam Morrison
Tyrus Thomas
Shelden Williams

Bender is actually a huge question mark and is the younger than Ingram. He does not have elite length, though it is pretty good, nothing that would make me take him and not try and trade the pick for Cousins.

In comparison the 2017 draft has much much better quality 4's and 5's and more of them. EDRICE ADEBAYO is ranked around 10 and I would take him over Bender right now. Thomas Bryant will be a good guy to pick and Jeanne hopefully will be around so we can snatch him with a 2nd first round pick if we get it. Most ppl think Jeanne will take longer but Bam Bam could be a huge help right away.

There're even a few more bigs like ISAIAH HARTENSTEIN and a couple others that will be very fun to watch.

I think you might have misunderstood my post - I do not like Bender much at all. 

I think he is a top 10 prospect this year for sure, but I don't think he is worthy of top 3 or even top 5.  Hell in all honest I don't even know if I would take him at #7 or #8.  There are just a lot of guys in this draft who (to my eyes) have a higher chance of becoming stars. 

« Reply #158 on: April 25, 2016, 03:46:10 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

reading the article:

Thomas Robinson
Darko Milicic
Evan Turner
Wesley Johnson
Derrick Williams
Dion Waiters
Michael Kidd Gilchrist
Anthony Bennett
Otto Porter
Cody Zeller
Hasheem Thabeet
Michael Beaqsley
OJ Mayo
Yi Jianlian
Adam Morrison
Tyrus Thomas
Shelden Williams

I think you might have misunderstood my post - I do not like Bender much at all. 

I think he is a top 10 prospect this year for sure, but I don't think he is worthy of top 3 or even top 5.  Hell in all honest I don't even know if I would take him at #7 or #8.  There are just a lot of guys in this draft who (to my eyes) have a higher chance of becoming stars.
Ya I was agreeing with you my man.

If we are going to pick our future 4 then I would rather trade the pick or pick someone else and wait till next draft.

Thomas Bryant could have a huge season ala Embiid at Kansas. Embiid is actually a year older. And Bam Bam could be great. Then you have IH and Jeanne. Just more guys with legit length and size.

« Reply #159 on: April 25, 2016, 03:50:45 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

reading the article:

Thomas Robinson
Darko Milicic
Evan Turner
Wesley Johnson
Derrick Williams
Dion Waiters
Michael Kidd Gilchrist
Anthony Bennett
Otto Porter
Cody Zeller
Hasheem Thabeet
Michael Beaqsley
OJ Mayo
Yi Jianlian
Adam Morrison
Tyrus Thomas
Shelden Williams

Ya I was agreeing with you my man.

If we are going to pick our future 4 then I would rather trade the pick or pick someone else and wait till next draft.

Thomas Bryant could have a huge season ala Embiid at Kansas. Embiid is actually a year older. And Bam Bam could be great. Then you have IH and Jeanne. Just more guys with legit length and size.

Oh I see :D

« Reply #160 on: April 25, 2016, 04:41:58 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I think the deal with Bender is it's really how good he wants to be.   He does play primarily off the ball but is capable of taking it to the basket.  He doesn't reallly play at all right now.  He's skinny too. How that will translate to the NBA's physical game watching the playoffs is going to take time. He seems to play with good toughness and motor though. Ingram is the guy who has the scoring ability off of isolations right now.  Any of these guys is going to take time. Hield is legit already.  Simmons is physically ready.  I really like Marcus though and our guards in general.  Taking a chance on an 18 year old isn't out of the question with this team.  We have KO.  Taking Bender might not make sense because of that.  The same can be said for anyone though really.

I can see him busting if he just doesn't adjust to the pro game but he's a chance that way if we really like him. Nothing is set in stone yet on these guys I don't think.

Personality wise he might not just be a fit.  That stuff you can't really tell from watching tape too much.   Marcus last  year clearly played with an edge and a physical style of play.  Bender has some toughness to his game but is not that.

Buddy Hield is clearly a basketball player. I think he is the one guy who stands out like that.  We need shooting but we are missing Avery right now and Marcus is being given an opportunity and is responding.

Simmons to me would more replace Turner. I still like Marcus though. All these guys have question marks.

I think the Celtics would rather more immediate help, but wouldn't say no to a guy if they really like him.

At this point we are still two months away.  The playoffs give us a good picture of what we need in ways. We are playing without Bradley and KO though who are our two best shooters not named IT.  I'd rather remain open minded. Still like Bender even though your criticisms are valid points.

I might lean more a guy like Hield or Simmons or Ingram but who knows.  Through working these guys out etc.  Finding out who they really are and what they want to be as far as our system and team will be more clear as that stuff happens.

Bender's stock could really fall if he isn't physically capable of handling the nba.  If you really watch him though he seems to play with a certain toughness. It's not super apparent but it's there. He will take it to the hoop.  I don't necessarily buy that he doesn't do that yet.

With any prospect particularly foreign players mental acuman is still very important. Ainge was into that whole brain typing thing and I wonder if he still is. Bender might not fit us that way.

I still think the Celtics even though we have KO and jerebko could use a player with his length and versatility. I wouldn't cast him off just yet.  He is very young though. I think if the celtics like him as a developmental player they would take him.

I think with him it's going to come down to how good a defensive player he can be. And how much shooting and versatility he would bring on offense as well.  If he is a guy who could replace Amir in the rotation down the road or any of our bigs really I can still see it.  We drafted Mickey and he is that too though. He is probably the most logical replacement for Amir right now.

He might just not be a fit with us.  I will remain open minded until all the chips are in though.  We've been drafting young guards too. 

Ingram seems like the guy who can really step in and help us.  Or HIeld. Or Simmons or whoever right now.  I don't think it's that cut and dry this year.

I still like Benders skillset.  If he could be a more talented version of what we are seeing from Jerebko right now that would be great. It depends though on a lot of things. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 09:45:56 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #161 on: April 25, 2016, 10:46:32 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Bender is absolutely 100% incapable of creating any offence.  He cannot isolate, he can't really beat guys off the dribble and drive effectively to the basket, he isn't very effective in post up situations, he poor at hitting contested jumpers.  He is such a basic and limited scorer that he is a guy who pretty much needs to be spoon fed the ball in order for him to be able to score.  The only way he can really score without being 'spoonfed' is off offensive rebounds / putbacks.  He has all the offensive talent of DeAndre Jordan / Tyson Chandler, but with the addition of a (fairly average / mediocre) jump shot. 

Where are you getting this from? Bender is 100x more talented than Jordan and Chandler. He doesn't project as a #1 option on offense, but it's not like he's this stiff... his offensive game is remarkably diverse for an 18 year old 7-footer.

« Reply #162 on: April 25, 2016, 12:41:53 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
[nevermind - already posted above]

« Reply #163 on: April 25, 2016, 01:07:18 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Imagine a 7'1 Larry Bird. Wow. And we can get this guy with the #3 pick? Stop the presses, we're winning the next 10 championships.

Jerebko, for the record, did horrible on switches yesterday. Every time he ended up on a guard it was pretty much a free basket for Atl. I have no idea what Brad S was thinking with this defensive plan.

Interesting opinion. I was just reading an article that said just the opposite. Except this article had actual statistics to support their position. Check it out: http://www.celticsblog.com/2016/4/23/11493502/jonas-jerebko-versatile-defense-integral-to-boston-celtics-game-3-atlanta-hawks-nba-playoffs
Except that the article (a blog post, really) has no statistics that relate to switch defense in Friday's game, of course.

It's fantastic that the author managed ti find two possessions to rub together that ended up not so well for the Hawks, but the Celtics weren't exactly containing Teague or Schroder all game (combined for ~50% shooting, 14 free throws, and 43 points in less than 55 minutes between the two of them) -- and a lot of that damage came on switched pick and rolls and drives to the basket, especially in the second half.

A good number of those switches were, in fact, unnecessary (they happened before any picks were even set, it was completely mind-boggling, really). The Hawks were very clearly looking for this when they were trying to rally themselves back into the game.

Maybe you should read it again. You didn't do so good the first time.
Maybe you should enlighten me. What's the team's defensive rating in switch situation (hint: defensive rating when player A and/or player B are on the floor is not the same thing).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #164 on: April 25, 2016, 01:38:06 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 919

reading the article:

Thomas Robinson
Darko Milicic
Evan Turner
Wesley Johnson
Derrick Williams
Dion Waiters
Michael Kidd Gilchrist
Anthony Bennett
Otto Porter
Cody Zeller
Hasheem Thabeet
Michael Beaqsley
OJ Mayo
Yi Jianlian
Adam Morrison
Tyrus Thomas
Shelden Williams

Here's the link to Ford's "way too early" mock from August. He actually did okay in the top-5.

1. Simmons
2. Skal - big miss
3-5. Brown, Murray, Bender. Highly possible that they end up as 3,4,5, although probably not in that order
6. Ingram. I only wish.
7. Malik Pope. Ouch.
8. Malik Newman. Ouch again. It was a bad year to pick Maliks early.
9. Ellenson. Will go higher.
10. Cheick Diallo. Not so much.

Seems pretty consistent with previous years. We have a pretty good idea who the top 5 prospects are but, after that, it's anyone's guess.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=80450.0

Mike