Author Topic: Tennis Thread  (Read 126371 times)

Re: Tennis Thread
« Reply #270 on: June 07, 2023, 11:42:11 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
What might be the best match played all year is going to be Friday in the French semis when Djokovic and Alcaraz match up.  Alcaraz is the favorite so that should tell you how well he is playing on clay.  It would be a major upset in the Finals if this winner did not close out the tourney.  Djokovic is on his quest for history while Alacaraz is looking like he may be actually be the next guy to ascend to dominance in the sport (he won the US last year and clay is his best surface).

If Alcaraz plays like he did against Tsistsipas the other day, I don’t think anyone can beat him. He’s too explosive of a mover and is absolutely crushing the ball. Alcaraz hit a 115mph forehand during his last match. Fastest serve was 138mph. Just ridiculous.

On the other half of the draw I think Rune will make it to the final. He’s been playing very well and is one of the few players on tour with a winning record against Djokovic. Both Alcaraz and Rune just turned 20. They are the future of mens tennis.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 12:00:15 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #271 on: June 09, 2023, 11:21:17 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Djokovic/Alcaraz matchup is living up to the hype. Just incredible rallies... One set a piece so far, Match is on NBC.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #272 on: June 09, 2023, 12:00:31 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
6-1 blitz from Djokovic in 3rd.  First game or two will tell us if Alacaraz is done or if he has it in him to come back.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #273 on: June 09, 2023, 12:09:37 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
It looks over now.  Djokovic serving up 2-0 in the 4th.  Kid is still not ready to unseat the g.o.a.t.

« Reply #274 on: June 09, 2023, 01:44:39 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
It looks over now.  Djokovic serving up 2-0 in the 4th.  Kid is still not ready to unseat the g.o.a.t.

Did you watch any of the match or were you just checking the score? Alcaraz cramped up and couldn’t move during the 3rd set. First two sets were unreal. Djokovic fitness is next level, though. he’s like Brady with the way he takes care of his body. It’s really impressive

« Reply #275 on: June 09, 2023, 02:16:56 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Did you watch any of the match or were you just checking the score? Alcaraz cramped up and couldn’t move during the 3rd set. First two sets were unreal. Djokovic fitness is next level, though. he’s like Brady with the way he takes care of his body. It’s really impressive
at work so didn't see much. i saw some of the first set and it appeared to me that Novak was ready.  Carlos did get the 2nd though.

I imagine he cruises to victory over Ruud or Zverev and he will then stand alone at the top with 23. And he doesn't appear to be slowing down.  If not for the pandemic (or his unwillingness to vaccinate) he might already have close to 30 grand slams.  Just amazing how good he is and for how long he has been this good.

« Reply #276 on: June 09, 2023, 02:19:31 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
I mean I started this thread in 2012 and here we are in 2023 and he is the best in the world.  Absolutley amazing

« Reply #277 on: June 09, 2023, 04:46:21 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I mean I started this thread in 2012 and here we are in 2023 and he is the best in the world.  Absolutley amazing

Haven't been keeping up with tennis. Isn't Nadal still playing, or is he no longer part of THAT Big 3

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #278 on: June 09, 2023, 05:04:55 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Haven't been keeping up with tennis. Isn't Nadal still playing, or is he no longer part of THAT Big 3

Nadal just had hip surgery and is likely out for the rest of the season. Sounds like next year will be his last. Sad to see him go out like that..  :-\
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 09:09:16 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #279 on: June 09, 2023, 10:56:57 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Nadal just had hip surgery and is likely out for the rest of the season. Sounds like next year will be his last. Sad to see him go out like that..  :-\

Ah, wow. That's unfortunate. The OGs are slowly fading away. Federer and now Nadal. Djokovic def is the goat these days.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #280 on: June 10, 2023, 05:53:11 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Looked like Swiatek was going to blow it, but she pulled it together to win.  Very dominant on clay winning her 3rd French and now 4th major (also has a US).  She is probably the future of the women's game, but definitely needs to start winning on other surfaces.

Re: Men's Tennis dominated by 3 or 4 men
« Reply #281 on: June 11, 2023, 09:33:07 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
delay in the final, probably a good think for Djokovic as he was very flat all game long.  The occassional flash like he is going to put it together, but mostly flat and Nadal has a fairly big lead, up a set and up a break at 4-2 in the second.

Iga is elite on a hardcourt, too. Grass, not so much. She’s only 22, though. So I expect her to get better on that surface as well.

« Reply #282 on: June 11, 2023, 12:44:46 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Congrats to Novak. all time leader with 23.  Now the defending champion in 3 of the 4 and probably only isn't 4 because he didn't play in the US last year. He should be heavily favored at Wimbledon and favored at the US, so he has a shot at the grand slam, basically the only thing left for him to accomplish.

Looked a bit dicey to start today as fell down 3-0 in the 1st set, but then he turned it around to win in straight sets, 7-6, 6-3, 7-5.  No equal right now.  Hopefully the young guys can challenge him before he gets old.  I'd like to see one of them take it from him, rather than him just getting old.

« Reply #283 on: July 11, 2023, 11:12:00 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Novak keeps getting some minor challenges, but then just pulls away.  He has now tied Federer for the most grand slam semis ever (he already had the most quarters).  His stamina, especially at his age, is just amazing.  He will face 8th seeded Sinner in the semis (not until Friday).

Yesterday 27 year old American Christopher Eubanks making his Wimbledon debut advanced to the quarters dispatching Tsitsipas in a 5 setter. Next up for him is 3rd seed Medvedev.  Alcaraz and Rune meet tomorrow as well.

Swiatek upset by an unseeded Ukrainian getting blitzed off the court in the 3rd set. The American, Jessica Pegula has lost for the 6th time in the quarters of a major and has yet to advance to the semis.  Pegula lost to an unseeded Czech.  Madison Keys is the last American woman, she faces 2nd seeded Sabalenka while 6th seeded Jabeur takes on 3rd seeded Rybakina. 

Tomorrow should be the best day of the tournament thus far as those quarters should all be interesting.

« Reply #284 on: July 11, 2023, 11:51:53 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Novak keeps getting some minor challenges, but then just pulls away.  He has now tied Federer for the most grand slam semis ever (he already had the most quarters).  His stamina, especially at his age, is just amazing.  He will face 8th seeded Sinner in the semis (not until Friday).

Yesterday 27 year old American Christopher Eubanks making his Wimbledon debut advanced to the quarters dispatching Tsitsipas in a 5 setter. Next up for him is 3rd seed Medvedev.  Alcaraz and Rune meet tomorrow as well.

Swiatek upset by an unseeded Ukrainian getting blitzed off the court in the 3rd set. The American, Jessica Pegula has lost for the 6th time in the quarters of a major and has yet to advance to the semis.  Pegula lost to an unseeded Czech.  Madison Keys is the last American woman, she faces 2nd seeded Sabalenka while 6th seeded Jabeur takes on 3rd seeded Rybakina. 

Tomorrow should be the best day of the tournament thus far as those quarters should all be interesting.

Sinner will be a major challenge for Djokovic. He has a lot of firepower and can take the racquet out of his opponents hands. Novak had an extremely favorable draw as the other half has Alcaraz, Medvedev, and Rune, who are all capable of beating him. Should be some epic matches over the next few days. Bummed that I have to go into the office tomorrow. Sigh… I’m hoping for an Alcaraz/Djokovic Final. That would be incredible.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 12:13:15 AM by Goldstar88 »