Author Topic: Patriots Off-Season News  (Read 24071 times)

Re: Patriots Off-Season News
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2024, 11:21:21 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Brissett is obviously a back-up so there is basically no way the Patriots trade 3 at this point.  They are taking a QB in that spot. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2024, 11:24:27 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Malcolm Butler officially hangs up the cleats. Thanks for Superbowl 49...greatest interception of all time.

Will also never forget how big-ego Belichick put you in the doghouse in Superbowl 52, which costed the Patriots the Superbowl. Had you been able to play a few defensive snaps that game over Jordan Richards, we win that game and riding on a 3peat.

Is this really news? He hasn't played since 2000.

I will never understand the Malcolm Butler worship, especially when it comes to his Superbowl benching. You would think he was the second coming of Derrell Revis. It's very simple...the Patriots lost that Superbowl because Brady couldn't lead the offense to touchdowns in the first half, and had to settle for field goals. The team had to play catch up the whole second half.

BTW, Malcolm Butler only played 3 more seasons after the "benching". Meanwhile, Nick Foles was and remained to be a journeyman quarterback.

More like they lost the Superbowl because the defense allowed 41 unacceptable points-- mainly, to blame, coaching.
Perhaps, but they were also winning with just under 2 minutes, 30 seconds left in the game.  And then had the ball down 5 before Brady was sacked and fumbled.  And then had the ball again down 8 with just over a minute left and then ran out of time before they could score the TD.  One of the few big games where Brady just didn't have it in the clutch. 

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2024, 11:58:01 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
Brissett is obviously a back-up so there is basically no way the Patriots trade 3 at this point.  They are taking a QB in that spot.

Unless they are high on JJ McCarthy and trade back…

I think Sims might be right about Maye being more of a project. Feel like he has high bust potential.

https://twitter.com/CSimmsQB/status/1765428349738918041/photo/1
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 12:17:09 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2024, 12:13:12 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Malcolm Butler officially hangs up the cleats. Thanks for Superbowl 49...greatest interception of all time.

Will also never forget how big-ego Belichick put you in the doghouse in Superbowl 52, which costed the Patriots the Superbowl. Had you been able to play a few defensive snaps that game over Jordan Richards, we win that game and riding on a 3peat.

Is this really news? He hasn't played since 2000.

I will never understand the Malcolm Butler worship, especially when it comes to his Superbowl benching. You would think he was the second coming of Derrell Revis. It's very simple...the Patriots lost that Superbowl because Brady couldn't lead the offense to touchdowns in the first half, and had to settle for field goals. The team had to play catch up the whole second half.

BTW, Malcolm Butler only played 3 more seasons after the "benching". Meanwhile, Nick Foles was and remained to be a journeyman quarterback.

More like they lost the Superbowl because the defense allowed 41 unacceptable points-- mainly, to blame, coaching.
Perhaps, but they were also winning with just under 2 minutes, 30 seconds left in the game.  And then had the ball down 5 before Brady was sacked and fumbled.  And then had the ball again down 8 with just over a minute left and then ran out of time before they could score the TD.  One of the few big games where Brady just didn't have it in the clutch.

Brandon Graham with the game-winning defensive play, blew past Shaq Mason and took down Tom Brady and forced a fumble. Recovered by the Eagles and they kicked the go-ahead FG to make it 41-33. That was more on Shaq Mason. I thought Brady did what he can to keep this team alive in that game with 505 yards. It became a shootout, but if the fumble didn't happen...would have been the game-winning TD for the Pats.

The o-line once again letting Brady down in the most crucial moment. Logan Mankins come as another example...getting beat by the Giants in 2007 and again in 2011.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2024, 11:47:38 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Jacoby is coming home.

Jeremy Fowler
@JFowlerESPN
·
7m
Source: #Patriots plan to sign quarterback Jacoby Brissett.

A reunion in New England.

Makes all the sense in the world. Even as a backup option he's great, and could be a nice bridge or even mentor to the #3 pick if they take QB

Now please go ahead and cut Zappe. Purge the previous toxic QB room

They have to let Zappe go. Obviously, every player wants to play, or better yet, be the starter. It's great that Zappe had the drive to want to get better and push the starter. However, it seems like Zappe contributed to making the QB room toxic. As a backup, there needs to be a balance, where you need to push the starter by improving yourself, but also helping out the starter too for the benefit of the team. Zappe doesn't have that balance, and in my opinion, needs to go.

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2024, 12:39:01 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Agent using Schefty to drive a bidding war? I really hope the Pats don't sign him. He's not worth what he's going to cost.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
New England is pushing to sign free-agent WR Calvin Ridley, but sources believe that he currently prefers to return to Jacksonville and he has been discussing a deal with the Jaguars.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2024, 01:21:37 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Agent using Schefty to drive a bidding war? I really hope the Pats don't sign him. He's not worth what he's going to cost.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
New England is pushing to sign free-agent WR Calvin Ridley, but sources believe that he currently prefers to return to Jacksonville and he has been discussing a deal with the Jaguars.

If Ridley was 26/27, I’d say go for it. He’s going to be 30 this year, though. IMO, Doesn’t make sense to spend a lot of cash on an older WR considering the Pats are full rebuild.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2024, 01:53:23 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

If Ridley was 26/27, I’d say go for it. He’s going to be 30 this year, though. IMO, Doesn’t make sense to spend a lot of cash on an older WR considering the Pats are full rebuild.

If they are drafting a young QB, have a WR who knows what to do and can make plays for the QB can go a long way to helping the QB develop.

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2024, 02:02:59 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

If they are drafting a young QB, have a WR who knows what to do and can make plays for the QB can go a long way to helping the QB develop.

Ridley would be new to the team,  so we don’t know that he will know what to do on the field. He has to learn the offense as well and it doesn’t always work out as we’ve seen so many times before. Also, the young QB might sit the whole year behind Brissett. That’s probably the safest way to go about it. Don’t want to ruin another 1st round QB.

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2024, 02:59:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Ridley would be new to the team,  so we don’t know that he will know what to do on the field. He has to learn the offense as well and it doesn’t always work out as we’ve seen so many times before. Also, the young QB might sit the whole year behind Brissett. That’s probably the safest way to go about it. Don’t want to ruin another 1st round QB.
the 3rd pick in the draft is not sitting behind a QB that couldn't even beat out Sam Howell last year.

« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2024, 04:46:11 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

the 3rd pick in the draft is not sitting behind a QB that couldn't even beat out Sam Howell last year.

If it's Drake Maye or JJ McCarthy (developmental qb), there's a good chance they sit a year (or even two). Penix and Daniels are more likely to start game 1.

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2024, 04:56:06 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Kinda like when Trey Lance was the 3rd pick in the draft and sat the first year.

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2024, 05:10:08 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2024, 05:24:50 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Wrong thread

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2024, 05:46:39 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
Uche returning on a one-year deal. I like that move.

Excellent. I can’t complain about any moves - gets, keeps or losses - so far.   I’m impressed that players who could have gotten  good money elsewhere are staying.

Btw - has there been any news on Judon regarding his recovery?