Author Topic: James Harden Traded to Clippers  (Read 9670 times)

Re: James Harden Traded to Clippers
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2023, 09:29:30 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2673
  • bammokja
the clippers have also been retroactively awarded the 2017 NBA title.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2023, 09:35:47 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1214
Per Shams:

Draft compensation that the Clippers are sending Philadelphia in James Harden trade, per sources:

- 2026 LAC first-round pick via OKC
- 2028 LAC first-round pick
- Two second round picks
- One pick swap

OKC must be adding protection to that pick. No way they give up that Clippers pick unprotected for just some vets

It looks like it is protected, and they get the Clippers 2027 pick swap in return for the 2026 pick. I'll want to see what the protections look like, but that makes some sense to me for OKC. They might end up getting nothing in return for the pick, but the upside is huge and the protections probably means that if they miss out on the 2026 pick it would have been worse than their other 2026 picks anyway

Edit: Apparently it's the worst of OKC's 3 picks in 2026 (OKC, Houston w/ top 4 protections, and Clippers) straight up. That seems like a pretty safe bet for OKC
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 09:41:42 AM by BitterJim »
I'm bitter.

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2023, 09:52:39 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1020
A Big 4 of Kawhi, George, Harden, and Westbrook...could make Clippers top 4 in the West. As long as they give the other LA team hell I'm all for it  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2023, 10:22:09 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2427
Bad decision by Philly. They should have tried harder to repair the relationship. They gave up on it too easily and settled for a terrible trade return instead.

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2023, 10:23:08 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Not sure this will work out for LAC. They have a delicate balance there with Westbrook, PG13 & Kawhi. Westbrook has worked wonderfully well thus far but this could undo all of that.

Harden is a threat to the equilibrium.

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2023, 10:26:37 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25599
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Per Shams:

Draft compensation that the Clippers are sending Philadelphia in James Harden trade, per sources:

- Two second round picks
- One pick swap

OKC must be adding protection to that pick. No way they give up that Clippers pick unprotected for just some vets

It looks like it is protected, and they get the Clippers 2027 pick swap in return for the 2026 pick. I'll want to see what the protections look like, but that makes some sense to me for OKC. They might end up getting nothing in return for the pick, but the upside is huge and the protections probably means that if they miss out on the 2026 pick it would have been worse than their other 2026 picks anyway

Edit: Apparently it's the worst of OKC's 3 picks in 2026 (OKC, Houston w/ top 4 protections, and Clippers) straight up. That seems like a pretty safe bet for OKC

Yeah, I guess the thinking is that if the Clippers bomb out in 2026 / 2027, they'll likely hold on to that 2026 pick anyway, and could then get a premium pick in 2027 as well.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2023, 10:27:30 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1702
Philly did okay.  They have more bodies to throw at the Jays defensively, which is noteworthy, and enough assets overall to potentially add one more piece somewhere.  Biiig burden on Embiid and Maxey offensively in the meantime though.  I'm not sure I want to put that much on Embiid's shoulders if I expect him to get to the playoffs healthy, especially since Nurse tends to run his best players into the ground anyway. 

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2023, 10:30:43 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1787
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Bad decision by Philly. They should have tried harder to repair the relationship. They gave up on it too easily and settled for a terrible trade return instead.

They would have had to fire Morey - it appeared they didn't want to do that.

In the end, they got 2 1sts, 2 2nds, and a swap. They also received a couple of playable players. It's not far off from what POR got for Holiday (the players we sent were better, but PHI got 2 2nds and a swap) and Holiday is seemingly valued higher around the league than Harden at this point.

They also have a ton of expiring contracts. Not that it's a killer FA class, but they could conceivably sign someone like Siakam. Either way, they did what they had to do and can finally move on.

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2023, 10:30:55 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1480
Really can’t stand James Harden…
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2023, 10:39:33 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1214
Per Shams:

- Two second round picks
- One pick swap

Yeah, I guess the thinking is that if the Clippers bomb out in 2026 / 2027, they'll likely hold on to that 2026 pick anyway, and could then get a premium pick in 2027 as well.

And if OKC is confident that they'll make the playoffs in 2026 (which seems like a safe bet, but who knows what will happen in 2-3 years), then the downside is losing a non-lottery first when they have too many picks already. It's a pretty ballsy move by Presti
I'm bitter.

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2023, 10:40:05 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1642
  • What a Pub Should Be

Are there really many James Harden fans walking this earth?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2023, 10:44:07 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 993
Philly overplayed their hand here. I bet they could have gotten a similar package in July, and then had the picks and expiring salaries to be involved in the Lillard or Holiday discussions without trying to force through an awkward 3 or 4-way trade that didn’t work.

They can try to do something the weeks before the deadline now, but my guess is they don’t get anything done because Morey instead wants to hold onto his cap space and negotiates too hard, yet again, wasting another Embiid season.

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2023, 10:46:04 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1480

Are there really many James Harden fans walking this earth?

I certainly hope not.  :laugh:
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2023, 10:49:20 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Philly have zero hopes of contending in the East without Harden. They are another above average playoff team like Cleveland now.

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2023, 10:52:24 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
The 76ers frontcourt depth is much improved. They can move Paul Reed back to backup center with Marcus Morris taking over at backup PF. Move Mo Bamba back to 3rd string.

They have loads of depth at backup SF with K Oubre, R Covington and now KJ Martin. They still have D Melton and N Batum at SG.

C: Embiid, P Reed, Mo Bamba
F: PJ Tucker, Marcus Morris, R Covington
F: T Harris, K Oubre, KJ Martin
G: N Batum, D Melton
G: Maxey, P Beverley

A much improved bench.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 11:50:20 AM by Who »