Author Topic: Jaylen Brown trade Ideas  (Read 34686 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown trade Ideas
« Reply #150 on: June 04, 2023, 02:44:29 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Building on a few ideas that have floated around here, I think this as an off-season would hold us in a really good spot.

Brown trade:
Boston gets: KAT

Portland gets: Brown

Minnesota gets: #3, Simons

Smart trade:
Boston gets: Murphy III, Nance, Dunn, Temple, #28

New Orleans gets: Smart, moderately protected future pick from Boston

Utah gets: Pritchard, Muscala

Draft:
#28: Trayce Jackson-Davis

#35: Keyontae Johnson

Team:
White / Dunn / Davison
Murphy III / Brogdon / Temple
Tatum / Hauser / Johnson
Horford / Gallinari / Nance
Anthony-Towns / Williams 3 / Jackson-Davis

Begarin to stay overseas next season, Davison gets a bit more time with the team ideally.

I think a trade like this depends greatly on whether or not you think Murphy can be a 20 PPG wing scorer. I don't think you have enough offense without that. I do like the other pieces here though.

My question is this - If all it takes to get KAT from the Wolves is Simons and the #3 pick, don't you think we could get a similar value?

Depending on your view of roster construction, I'm not sure Simons is a great fit next to Edwards. I think you want to duplicate his side, strength, and toughness, instead of giving an out. That's where I think Smart would be an excellent fit next to Edwards, and I do think he's a more valuable player than Simons, especially on their respective contracts and with their experience.

If you think KAT could be got for Simons and #3, I think we could get KAT for Smart, Gallo, Pritchard, and a future first.
So you’re saying that the difference between Smart and Simons makes up for the difference between the #3 and Gallo + PP + future first? I strongly disagree. I don’t agree with the premise that Simons is much less valuable than Smart to begin with.

I think Murphy can comfortably be a ~18ppg guy on elite efficiency. Tatum and KAT are both 25+ scorers with great passing, Brogdon and White are both 12-16 scorers too. Gallo, Rob & Al should be 8-10 scorers to round out the scoring. I actually don’t understand how you worry about that teams offence vs our current squad. KAT is a superior offensive talent to Brown, and Murphy’s shooting offsets his worse passing compared to Smart
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #151 on: June 04, 2023, 05:00:45 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Building on a few ideas that have floated around here, I think this as an off-season would hold us in a really good spot.

Brown trade:

Smart trade:

Draft:

Team:
White / Dunn / Davison
Tatum / Hauser / Johnson

Begarin to stay overseas next season, Davison gets a bit more time with the team ideally.

I think a trade like this depends greatly on whether or not you think Murphy can be a 20 PPG wing scorer. I don't think you have enough offense without that. I do like the other pieces here though.

My question is this - If all it takes to get KAT from the Wolves is Simons and the #3 pick, don't you think we could get a similar value?

Depending on your view of roster construction, I'm not sure Simons is a great fit next to Edwards. I think you want to duplicate his side, strength, and toughness, instead of giving an out. That's where I think Smart would be an excellent fit next to Edwards, and I do think he's a more valuable player than Simons, especially on their respective contracts and with their experience.

If you think KAT could be got for Simons and #3, I think we could get KAT for Smart, Gallo, Pritchard, and a future first.
So you’re saying that the difference between Smart and Simons makes up for the difference between the #3 and Gallo + PP + future first? I strongly disagree. I don’t agree with the premise that Simons is much less valuable than Smart to begin with.

I think Murphy can comfortably be a ~18ppg guy on elite efficiency. Tatum and KAT are both 25+ scorers with great passing, Brogdon and White are both 12-16 scorers too. Gallo, Rob & Al should be 8-10 scorers to round out the scoring. I actually don’t understand how you worry about that teams offence vs our current squad. KAT is a superior offensive talent to Brown, and Murphy’s shooting offsets his worse passing compared to Smart

I think we both value KAT similarly. I think he's a great buy-low candidate. There are stats that suggest he's the greatest big man shooter of all time. I love his fit next to Tatum (and Brown).

But we definitely value Simons differently. I think small guard scorers are pretty gettable in the NBA, and few of them participate in championship rosters. Players like Clarkson, Russell, Dinwiddie, Brogdon, Rozier, Porter Jr., etc. all offer a similar skillset on cheaper contracts than Simons. Even players like Hield, Powell, Sexton, and Gordon are all similar on smaller contracts as well. Simons is also competing with up-and-coming guards like Maxey, Green, Cunningham, Mathurin, and Quickley.

Unless you think Simons can take another leap into that next tier of premier guards (27ppg-ish? with 6 apg), I just don't think he's a good enough talent to get as a centerpiece back. Unless he's that dynamic offensively, he just takes away too much defensively to be the 2nd or 3rd best player on a contender (admittedly, Gobert can erase a lot of those problems in the regular season).

In other words, I think you see him as having the potential to get to that next level. I do not. I see him more as 110% of Jordan Clarkson, but I think they could get Jordan Clarkson for a lot less.

The 3rd pick here is a really nice piece if you like Scoot or Miller. I like both players at this point, but I wonder if Minny fans would feel like this is pushing back the playoffs for another few years. This is a team that has been "rebuilding" for a while, and now finally has some pieces.

That's where I think Minny is more likely to function in the mode of flipping their best assets for proven playoff players, and there have been previous rumors that they were sniffing about Smart. I think some teams value Smart more than we realize, and I do think Smarts value is at least similar to, if not better than, a chucker with no defense like Simons to a team that is trying to be competitive in the playoffs.

« Reply #152 on: June 04, 2023, 05:13:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Brown trade:

Smart trade:

Draft:

Team:
White / Dunn / Davison
Tatum / Hauser / Johnson

I think we both value KAT similarly. I think he's a great buy-low candidate. There are stats that suggest he's the greatest big man shooter of all time. I love his fit next to Tatum (and Brown).

But we definitely value Simons differently. I think small guard scorers are pretty gettable in the NBA, and few of them participate in championship rosters. Players like Clarkson, Russell, Dinwiddie, Brogdon, Rozier, Porter Jr., etc. all offer a similar skillset on cheaper contracts than Simons. Even players like Hield, Powell, Sexton, and Gordon are all similar on smaller contracts as well. Simons is also competing with up-and-coming guards like Maxey, Green, Cunningham, Mathurin, and Quickley.

Unless you think Simons can take another leap into that next tier of premier guards (27ppg-ish? with 6 apg), I just don't think he's a good enough talent to get as a centerpiece back. Unless he's that dynamic offensively, he just takes away too much defensively to be the 2nd or 3rd best player on a contender (admittedly, Gobert can erase a lot of those problems in the regular season).

In other words, I think you see him as having the potential to get to that next level. I do not. I see him more as 110% of Jordan Clarkson, but I think they could get Jordan Clarkson for a lot less.

The 3rd pick here is a really nice piece if you like Scoot or Miller. I like both players at this point, but I wonder if Minny fans would feel like this is pushing back the playoffs for another few years. This is a team that has been "rebuilding" for a while, and now finally has some pieces.

That's where I think Minny is more likely to function in the mode of flipping their best assets for proven playoff players, and there have been previous rumors that they were sniffing about Smart. I think some teams value Smart more than we realize, and I do think Smarts value is at least similar to, if not better than, a chucker with no defense like Simons to a team that is trying to be competitive in the playoffs.
I think Simons has points of difference from the guys you listed. Firstly, his shooting efficiency on high volume. He's not Curry or Klay, but 5th in the NBA in 3PTs attempted (6th in makes) and doing so at 38% from deep is very significant. None of those other players you listed besides Hield come close to him there. It also isn't just a single season aberration - he is a career 39% shooter on very high volume.

He is also just about to turn 24, and has improved most seasons he has been in the league. Part of the issue is that, to me (and perhaps to others), his developmental arc is very similar to CJ McCollum, down to the same strengths and weaknesses. Fringe All-Star level guard play at his peak, but with weak defence and somewhat duplicative skills next to Lillard. However, next to a pass-first efficient shooter like Conley to initiate for he and Edwards, I think it works.

Conley - Simons - Edwards - McDaniels - Gobert is a good group. Having Scoot waiting to take the reigns from Conley would be thrilling for Minny fans too. I don't think they push anything back, because I think the balance of this group is more functional. A bit more speed, a lot of shooting around Gobert, and an offence that is 100% Anthony Edwards' (who I think jumps to All-NBA level).

Smart's value may be higher than we think. Which is why I think he can nab us a 22 year-old 15PPG 50/40/90 wing!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #153 on: June 04, 2023, 05:37:41 PM »

• Paul Silas
I think Simons has points of difference from the guys you listed. Firstly, his shooting efficiency on high volume. He's not Curry or Klay, but 5th in the NBA in 3PTs attempted (6th in makes) and doing so at 38% from deep is very significant. None of those other players you listed besides Hield come close to him there. It also isn't just a single season aberration - he is a career 39% shooter on very high volume.

He is also just about to turn 24, and has improved most seasons he has been in the league. Part of the issue is that, to me (and perhaps to others), his developmental arc is very similar to CJ McCollum, down to the same strengths and weaknesses. Fringe All-Star level guard play at his peak, but with weak defence and somewhat duplicative skills next to Lillard. However, next to a pass-first efficient shooter like Conley to initiate for he and Edwards, I think it works.

Conley - Simons - Edwards - McDaniels - Gobert is a good group. Having Scoot waiting to take the reigns from Conley would be thrilling for Minny fans too. I don't think they push anything back, because I think the balance of this group is more functional. A bit more speed, a lot of shooting around Gobert, and an offence that is 100% Anthony Edwards' (who I think jumps to All-NBA level).

Smart's value may be higher than we think. Which is why I think he can nab us a 22 year-old 15PPG 50/40/90 wing!

I freely admit that one of the greatest areas of weakness in my assessment of players is small, score-first, no-defense guards on lottery teams. I just don't evaluate them well sometimes. I thought Devin Booker was like Jordan Clarkson 2.0 when he scored all those points on us. I thought Zach Lavine is a similar player to Beal and Booker. I put Mitchell after those three guys. I completely disregarded a player like Poole on the Warriors. Looking at those assessments, I feel like I've got to admit I was wrong, but the problem with that is that I still think I'm right.

But time and again, smart teams seem to value these guys more than I do. I still don't see a significant difference between Simons and the guys I listed above. But maybe that's a blind spot for me as a basketball fan. I think I understand what players bring defensively and value them better than most fans, but I don't always understand what sets score-first small guards apart from other ones.

The point about Simons efficiency is significant. I'll have to chew on that more.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 07:15:06 PM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #154 on: June 04, 2023, 06:29:13 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

Brown trade:

Smart trade:

Draft:

Team:
White / Dunn / Davison
Tatum / Hauser / Johnson

I realize that you put some work into this, but in the end, I think this team would be worse than one with Marcus and Jaylen. I do like Trey Murphy, but I don't think KAT is the guy that is going to turn us into a contender. He's been in the league a while and there just isn't a lot of winning there. It's not all of his fault, but his defense hasn't helped.
I pretty much completely disagree. I think a Tatum-KAT offensive 1-2 could be almost as dominant as Jokic-Murray. Surround them with athletes and shooters, watch the wins roll in.

I think KAT is mischaracterised due to the Minnesota effect.

I am Ok with Brown for Towns. Some risk, but Towns may be worth the risk. But why would MIN rather Simmons + 3 over Brown? 

« Reply #155 on: June 04, 2023, 07:26:19 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Brown trade:

Smart trade:

Draft:

Team:
White / Dunn / Davison
Tatum / Hauser / Johnson

I realize that you put some work into this, but in the end, I think this team would be worse than one with Marcus and Jaylen. I do like Trey Murphy, but I don't think KAT is the guy that is going to turn us into a contender. He's been in the league a while and there just isn't a lot of winning there. It's not all of his fault, but his defense hasn't helped.
I pretty much completely disagree. I think a Tatum-KAT offensive 1-2 could be almost as dominant as Jokic-Murray. Surround them with athletes and shooters, watch the wins roll in.

I think KAT is mischaracterised due to the Minnesota effect.

I am Ok with Brown for Towns. Some risk, but Towns may be worth the risk. But why would MIN rather Simmons + 3 over Brown?

Maybe out of concern about whether Jaylen will re-sign with them or not.

« Reply #156 on: June 04, 2023, 08:13:19 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I'd rather have 3 and Simons than Towns.  I think Simons could give a lot of what Brown does and the idea of Miller or Henderson at 3 just is super appealing
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #157 on: June 04, 2023, 08:14:14 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
The more I read these ideas, the more I'm fine keeping Jaylen. Unless you can somehow get someone like Lillard, a lot of these just feel meh. Trading him for role players + a high pick (18-20 year old)? No thanks. KAT? No thanks, there's a reason he and Ayton could be dangled and why their teams haven't gotten over the hump either. Not exactly great defenders and mentally soft.

Only one I'd consider is maybe with Portland for Simons + #3, but I doubt Portland does that.

The other thing is, unless Jaylen actually signs an extension or verbally commits with new teams, those teams will operate as if Jaylen's a rental to them which can be risky.

I'd keep Jaylen, but explore trading Smart OR Brogdon + picks in a package for another big man.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #158 on: June 04, 2023, 08:36:03 PM »

• Paul Silas
I'd rather have 3 and Simons than Towns.  I think Simons could give a lot of what Brown does and the idea of Miller or Henderson at 3 just is super appealing

I know Brown had a tough playoffs offensively, but his defense on Harden and Butler was really good. Without his defense, I don't think we beat Philly.

How does Simons replicate that? He is literally one of the, if not the, worst defenders in the NBA.

If you look at all the small, shoot-first, no-defense guards out there that are also one of the 2-3 best players on the team, none of them are on teams making it deep into the playoffs. Why is that?

« Reply #159 on: June 04, 2023, 09:35:40 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

I know Brown had a tough playoffs offensively, but his defense on Harden and Butler was really good. Without his defense, I don't think we beat Philly.

How does Simons replicate that? He is literally one of the, if not the, worst defenders in the NBA.

If you look at all the small, shoot-first, no-defense guards out there that are also one of the 2-3 best players on the team, none of them are on teams making it deep into the playoffs. Why is that?
Isn't jamal murray is in the finals, no? deangelo russell was just in the conference finals, no?

Simons obviously isn't the defender Brown is, but he is a much better shooter and passer.  Those 2 skills are much more important in a secondary offensive role.  Brown is a jack of all trades master of none type player and that doesn't work as a secondary player especially next to someone with Tatum's skill set.  Then you add in a top 3 pick in either Scoot or Miller and I think the team would be set up much better long term. If Scoot was the player, I'd trade Smart as soon as possible and open up room for him to play (I'd keep White as I think he is a much better in the lesser role - though I'd start him until Scoot was ready).  With Miller, I still might trade Smart, though that need is lessoned.

« Reply #160 on: June 04, 2023, 09:42:33 PM »

• Paul Silas

Isn't jamal murray is in the finals, no? deangelo russell was just in the conference finals, no?

Simons obviously isn't the defender Brown is, but he is a much better shooter and passer.  Those 2 skills are much more important in a secondary offensive role.  Brown is a jack of all trades master of none type player and that doesn't work as a secondary player especially next to someone with Tatum's skill set.  Then you add in a top 3 pick in either Scoot or Miller and I think the team would be set up much better long term. If Scoot was the player, I'd trade Smart as soon as possible and open up room for him to play (I'd keep White as I think he is a much better in the lesser role - though I'd start him until Scoot was ready).  With Miller, I still might trade Smart, though that need is lessoned.

Jamal Murray is not a small guard, and he's a much better defender than Simons.

Russell is not a small guard either, and he was benched against the Nuggets. He was at best the 4th best player on that Lakers team, but when he was the 2nd best on the Wolves, they barely made the playoffs and were a quick out.

I'm not really sure how much better of a shooter or passer Simons is than White and Brogdon. I think you'd see him struggle in post-season minutes against tough defenders.

I get your point though. Like I mentioned before, these shoot-first-no-defense small guards are tough for me to evaluate. I just may have a bias against that type of player. But I do like both Miller and Scoot. I think you'd have to be pretty confident that either of those players can play in the playoffs this year. You really shouldn't be wasting any seasons of Tatum's prime.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 10:08:51 PM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #161 on: June 04, 2023, 09:46:31 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

It's almost like defense.... WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!! WHAT!?! MINDBLOWN EMOJI

I think Simons would just be a stopgap at the SG spot. Or, you could figure out a 3-way and slip him elsewhere, since his contract is very reasonable. At the very least, he'd be a much better shooter than Brown so your spacing should improve. The key to the deal is still the no 3 pick if Scoot is indeed available.

« Reply #162 on: June 04, 2023, 09:53:48 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Russell is not a small guard either, and he was benched against the Nuggets. He was at best the 4th best player on that Lakers team, but when he was the 2nd best on the Wolves, they barely made the playoffs and were a quick out.

I'm not really sure how much better of a shooter or passer Simons is than White and Brogdon. I think you'd see him struggle in post-season minutes against tough defenders.

I get your point though. Like I mentioned before, these shoot-first-no-defense small guards are tough for me to evaluate. I just may have a bias against that type of player. But I do like both Miller and Scoot. I think you'd have to be pretty confidence that either of those players can play in the playoffs this year. You really shouldn't be wasting any seasons of Tatum's prime.
Simons is 6'3".  He is basically the same size as Murray.  Murray is better than he is pretty much everywhere, but he is also a shoot first no defense small guard that is playing in the NBA finals.  I was objecting to your contention that you can't win with that sort of player. 

Simons is a much better shooter than White and Brogdon because of his volume.  That matters (that is why no one says Steve Kerr is the greatest 3 point shooter ever even though he has the highest career percentage).

« Reply #163 on: June 04, 2023, 09:57:53 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

It's almost like defense.... WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!! WHAT!?! MINDBLOWN EMOJI

I think Simons would just be a stopgap at the SG spot. Or, you could figure out a 3-way and slip him elsewhere, since his contract is very reasonable. At the very least, he'd be a much better shooter than Brown so your spacing should improve. The key to the deal is still the no 3 pick if Scoot is indeed available.

The defense was fine. It was the brain dead offense (and the Tatum injury) that did the C’s in. Miami made its runs because of bad shot selection and turnovers. Chuck (and tbf, many people) were on the money. Live by the 3, die by the 3.
- LilRip

« Reply #164 on: June 04, 2023, 10:15:38 PM »

• Paul Silas

I get your point though. Like I mentioned before, these shoot-first-no-defense small guards are tough for me to evaluate. I just may have a bias against that type of player. But I do like both Miller and Scoot. I think you'd have to be pretty confidence that either of those players can play in the playoffs this year. You really shouldn't be wasting any seasons of Tatum's prime.
Simons is 6'3".  He is basically the same size as Murray.  Murray is better than he is pretty much everywhere, but he is also a shoot first no defense small guard that is playing in the NBA finals.  I was objecting to your contention that you can't win with that sort of player. 

Simons is a much better shooter than White and Brogdon because of his volume.  That matters (that is why no one says Steve Kerr is the greatest 3 point shooter ever even though he has the highest career percentage).

If we are quibbling, I will quibble. Not only is Murray taller than Simons, but he's also stronger, which allows him to match up reasonably against bigger players. Simons is thin and a wilting flower against good offensive players, especially ones that are bigger. Murray is not a "small" guard. He's one of the biggest point guards in the NBA.

Fair point on Simons' volume, but I also discount "volume" scorers that player on lottery teams. Their "volume" just doesn't matter as much. Call it the "Brandon Knight" effect. Still, what he does on his volume demonstrates a higher scoring level than White or Brogdon. I just still question what his effectiveness would be against playoff defenses.