Author Topic: Bill simmons pod on worst contracts  (Read 2388 times)

Bill simmons pod on worst contracts
« on: March 22, 2023, 06:39:53 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Kind of interesting pod last week where simmons and two of his friends did a worst contract draft. A few highlights

The worst contract was ben simmons. They said it was unclear if he would get more than minimum on next deal. One nugget I hadn’t heard before is that is well known in the nba that simmons just partied in the Hollywood hills when he is not playing.

Second worst was bradley beal. Just pure length and cost of contract and he is paid like he is a Donavan mitchell or Devin Booker and he is significantly worse than both those guys.

Third worst was duncan Robinson. Pointed out his scoring average has been getting worse every year and he is not even shooting at an elite level.

4th worst was Bertans. Gobert was one of next picks. They compared him to brook lopez but just never improving his game.

Some surprising names mentioned KAT, trae.

Kind of a funny podcast overall, not super serious.

Re: Bill simmons pod on worst contracts
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 07:43:53 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3010
  • On To Banner 18!
Simmons is hands down the worst one, period.

If Zion continues to stay hurt, then I think he's up there as well. I mean what exactly has he given the Pels so far? If he barely plays next season as well then that's not a good sign at all for his career. And the Pels recently gave him a 5/194M extension
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 09:53:42 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 555

If Zion continues to stay hurt, then I think he's up there as well. I mean what exactly has he given the Pels so far? If he barely plays next season as well then that's not a good sign at all for his career. And the Pels recently gave him a 5/194M extension
I didn't realize they'd already given Zion his 2nd contract.  That's a ludicrous contract for Zion unless they put in some good health clauses.  Should have just let him go on the RFA market this offseason. 

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 11:23:04 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
I listened to it.

My criteria for worst contracts is (in order of importance):

What players/contracts need can only be traded while giving up extra compensation?

What players are performing poorly relative to their contract?

What players would have the smallest market demand if they were on the trading block?

What players are an injury risk?

Simmons, of course, is #1. The Knicks couldn’t give Fournier away. Duncan Robinson, Hardaway Jr., Bertans, Tobias, CP3, Collins, etc. fit the bill to a certain degree.

The market tends to overlook injury risk (like KD). Even with Zion’s injury history, I would be surprised if he didn’t have more trade value and a bigger market than Trae Young.

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 04:29:02 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1381
Kind of interesting pod last week where simmons and two of his friends did a worst contract draft. A few highlights

The worst contract was ben simmons. They said it was unclear if he would get more than minimum on next deal. One nugget I hadn’t heard before is that is well known in the nba that simmons just partied in the Hollywood hills when he is not playing.

Second worst was bradley beal. Just pure length and cost of contract and he is paid like he is a Donavan mitchell or Devin Booker and he is significantly worse than both those guys.

Third worst was duncan Robinson. Pointed out his scoring average has been getting worse every year and he is not even shooting at an elite level.

4th worst was Bertans. Gobert was one of next picks. They compared him to brook lopez but just never improving his game.

Some surprising names mentioned KAT, trae.

Kind of a funny podcast overall, not super serious.

Dating Kendall ruined him...turned him into a Hollywood party boy. Now that he's got that $200m contract all he wants to do is what most rich twentysomething kids do, party with models and celebs. His bad back and sore knee doesn't prevent him from getting workouts of the horizontal variety I'm sure.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 05:42:21 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
There is absolutely no way Beal is the 2nd worst. Gobert, MPJ, Duncan Robinson, Jonathan Isaac, Davis Bertans are worse, to name a few.

If Zion continues to be as durable as Greg Oden, he may be similar.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 06:59:35 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Ben Simmons no doubt #1..and if Zion doesnt stay healthy, he can be #2,
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 09:23:39 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

I didn't realize they'd already given Zion his 2nd contract.  That's a ludicrous contract for Zion unless they put in some good health clauses.  Should have just let him go on the RFA market this offseason.

There is a health clause related to his weight, but I don't even think that's the issue. He looks fine weight-wise but with all the lower-body injuries he's been suffering, even during rehab (the setbacks), that doesn't feel like a contract or player that'll age well. And Zion honestly hasn't even played much to begin with. Only 114 games in the last four seasons combined, and he missed an entire season already once

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023, 10:04:37 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3186
No Kyrie on that list?

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2023, 10:19:57 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
No Kyrie on that list?

There's a case but I mean at least Kyrie still plays quite a few games compared to the others, and 4/136M ain't as bad as some of the others.

BUT he absolutely could be on the list once he signs the 4/200M extension and barely plays or screws over another team  :P

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2023, 10:36:41 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3186
No Kyrie on that list?

There's a case but I mean at least Kyrie still plays quite a few games compared to the others, and 4/136M ain't as bad as some of the others.

BUT he absolutely could be on the list once he signs the 4/200M extension and barely plays or screws over another team  :P

Kyrie's been out and Dallas is slipping out of the play ins.

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2023, 11:01:43 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No Kyrie on that list?

It is in it's last year.   

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2023, 11:54:41 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 623

at first read thought you meant Bill Simmons and I was like "yup!"...haha

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2023, 11:57:01 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Just to clarify they did mention the other guys you mentioned in the draft including Zion, mpj. I would probably have mpj higher than they did because he just has not developed and really prevents the nuggets from using that money for a real star next to jokic. Murray not recovering fully from his injury also hurts the nuggets a lot.

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2023, 12:09:39 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup
Lonzo Ball @ $20 mill per year has not been very fruitful.
Yup