Author Topic: Sully Burger  (Read 4368 times)

Sully Burger
« on: December 06, 2022, 02:13:50 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
A fact that shocked me recently, was that our old friend Jared Sullinger is still only 30 years old.

Looking back, I can’t fathom how someone could waste such a promising career because of over eating.

Given the league wasn’t as quick back in the early 2010’s, Sullinger should have had a long & productive career.

Looking at his statistics for the 15–16 season, they were very promising putting up 13.3 PPG, 7.6 RPG, 2.3 APG and hitting 74% of his free-throws. Given the Celtics made the playoffs that season these aren’t empty numbers.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 02:20:46 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Sully Burger
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 02:20:30 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
His body was beat to hell.  It's unfair to just blame it on overeating. 

Hell, he already had back issues before he even got drafted and his body certainly let him down over the course of his short career.  Know he had foot issues too.

A variety of factors led him to being out of the league by 30.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 02:23:06 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
This is Sullinger in 2021.

And here's a clip of him playing in Korea.

Doesn't look out of shape to me.

Not exactly Mike Sweetney.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 02:27:42 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell

Hell, he already had back issues before he even got drafted and his body certainly let him down over the course of his short career.  Know he had foot issues too.

This is an extract from an old Toronto Sun article

“Sullinger’s family was concerned enough about his weight gain that they held an intervention bringing former No. 1 pick John Lucas to Sullinger’s Columbus, Ohio, apartment to talk about work ethic and getting him back on the right path.”

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2022, 02:29:42 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
This is Sullinger in 2021.

I understand he eventually changed his poor habits, but by then he’d ran out of opportunities and the league had changed.

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2022, 02:31:33 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

This is an extract from an old Toronto Sun article

“Sullinger’s family was concerned enough about his weight gain that they held an intervention bringing former No. 1 pick John Lucas to Sullinger’s Columbus, Ohio, apartment to talk about work ethic and getting him back on the right path.”

Now do the back issues, domestic violence, work ethic, disc surgery, and foot issues.

Like I said before, a variety of issues knocked him out of the league.  It's lazy to just lay blame at overeating.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 02:32:39 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I suppose you can argue that back and foot injuries are to be expected when you're carrying extra weight.  But yeah, his body just wasn't as durable as some other big guys.

In terms of eating, at least in Sully's case, it's going to get viewed as one of two ways:  he was a guy who lacked willpower and discipline, or he's a guy who struggled with legitimate addiction issues.  I tend to be a bit sympathetic on these issues, and will say that based upon the tens of millions of people who fail at dieting, there's an addictive factor there.

I think Sully tried a private chef.  I'm not sure how that went.  I remember he weighed over 300 pounds at some point, so whatever diet he was on, there was obviously some sort of relapse.

But, even if Sully could control his weight, he'd still have to shake the domestic abuser label.  I think that's a hard hurdle for NBA teams to accept, even when there's a dismissal of charges. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes