Author Topic: 20 Games In - What Are Your Thoughts?  (Read 5978 times)

20 Games In - What Are Your Thoughts?
« on: November 27, 2022, 10:01:17 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
As the saying goes, you can't really judge an NBA team until 20 games into the season. Well, we're now 16-4 after 20 games. So what are your thoughts on this team thus far? I'll start with two thoughts.

1) We're the best offense in the league, and it's not particularly close. We seem to have an excellent balance of shooting, playmaking, and passing that makes it virtually impossible to guard us, particularly when hitting shots. This is even more true when considering Joe's offensive philosophy that prioritizes taking these perimeter shots when open.

2) This is the best bench we've had in a long, long time. At full strength we have a bench of Brogdon, White, Hauser, GWill, and Galinari with PP, Vonleh, and Griffin as the primary third stringers. I can't remember a more complete bench we've ever had, particularly when paired what is likely the best starting lineup in the league.

Re: 20 Games In - What Are Your Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 10:12:30 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
About as good a start as you could hope for. The cherry on top is that any issues I have with the team could easily be remedied with a healthy Timelord. This good start will be perfect for easing Timelord back into the lineup, and hopefully he'll be back to normal by the all-star break.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 10:28:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We're on pace for around 65 wins, Tatum looks like an MVP, and the team seemingly has fantastic chemistry.  It's hard not to be psyched.  And that's without Timelord.

The defense has been a let down, but hopefully the team buckles down after Timelord is re-integrated.  The defensive talent is definitely there.  We could also use help rebounding, but again: Timelord. 

The only negative I've seen so far this season is the JB -> Kyrie stuff.  That should be easy enough to move on from.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 10:36:23 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
1-4 v. cities that begin with C.  Have a chance to improve on that tomorrow.  For now, that’s their Achilles heel.

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 10:36:38 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
We're on pace for around 65 wins, Tatum looks like an MVP, and the team seemingly has fantastic chemistry.  It's hard not to be psyched.  And that's without Timelord.

The defense has been a let down, but hopefully the team buckles down after Timelord is re-integrated.  The defensive talent is definitely there.  We could also use help rebounding, but again: Timelord. 

The only negative I've seen so far this season is the JB -> Kyrie stuff.  That should be easy enough to move on from.

Funny how the Ime controversy and issue seems like a distant memory now, you didn’t even think to mention it because it seems to of had no negative effect on this team

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2022, 10:55:28 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Championship season.

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 12:11:55 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Championship season.

Bucks are still a big threat

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 12:15:57 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
The offense has obviously been amazing, but I worry a bit that the shooting from the role-players is a little unsustainable. Grant, Hauser, Brogdon, White, Horford all being above 40% seems unlikely. That said Tatum and Brown should shoot better from three, and the defense can be a lot better so I'm not THAT worried.

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 12:43:46 AM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2003
One of the most impressive things to me is that in 20 games we've really only had 2 poor ones, both against Chicago.  The other two losses against Cleveland both went to overtime.  And in the games where we weren't our usual selves we still found a way to win. 

Entering the season I was a little bit worried about Horford, even though I know that he's a true pro and takes great care of his body.  So far he's looked very good for his age, and it seems like he's able to give us at least one more season of solid play.

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2022, 01:29:42 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
We look very good. 

I look forward to getting Rob back so we can see where we land on the defensive end.  A small sidenote on our game against Washington is that we didn't defend well.  I do acknowledge that Tatum has anchored our defense this season and missing him was a big factor, but giving up 53% from the field and only causing 4 turnovers is a pretty good way to lose if you're not doing historic things at the other end.  So we need to improve a lot there.  But if Rob comes back still looking like a DPOY candidate and can put a run of good health together, then look out. 

This is exciting. 

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2022, 02:49:46 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Brogdon is everything I hoped he'd be and more.  He's doing awesome leading the 2nd unit, and providing a legit scoring threat when Brown/Tatum are out, but does it within the flow of the offense.

Team appears deeper and and a lot less top heavy than I thought.  I think they have 3 players that will get Sixth Man votes (Brogdon, White, Grant), possibly 4 (Hauser, but rarely do guys playing <20mpg get votes, and Hauser's 17mpg would be lowest to get a vote since Mo Speights 15.9 in '15).

The depth makes me feel like the team can have a major injury to anybody (other than Tatum/Brown) and still have a legit shot at a championship.  Thought Time Lord's absence would be a problem, nope.  Now replace Time Lord with Smart, Horford, White, Brogdon, Grant, Hauser, and I'm still confident.  The team could even miss 2 guys (as long as not both Hortford/Time Lord), and still be a legit threat.  Not something every contender can say.

Tatum is a legit MVP candidate (and Brown is playing great too), but it doesn't feel like the team needs Tatum/Brown to have a great game to win (though obviously helps).  This is what I was referring to when I said the team is not as top heavy as I thought.

That being said, the schedule has felt pretty easy so far.  Really interested to see how the team handles this upcoming extended road trip, should be a good test.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 03:48:32 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2022, 07:00:59 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I think the team looks good, but I'm wary of falling off too early - if we can stay healthy (especially Timelord) I like our chances of getting back to the finals.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2022, 07:11:50 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I love defensive effort.  I like to see Timelord making guys miss . Missed his excitement and action inside. 

Proud of the team

Last year was so crazy …It’s been soooooo long since we were this relevant steady , where we are favored in most games.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 08:23:28 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2022, 07:29:57 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
I'm not too worried about the defense, its mostly an effort thing and Timelord really was a huge part of it. So I think once he comes back or the games "really" matter they can buckle down.

Either way not much to complain about. Our depth went from a weakness last year to a strength where we can blow out teams without one of our top 2 players.

The offense which looked like a struggle last year just looks so easy this year.

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2022, 08:10:12 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
In a general sense, it is not a surprise that the Celtics are a good team this season.  They made it to the finals last season.  Brought back everyone, and added two really good depth pieces in Brogdon and Gallinari.  Then Gallinari got hurt, we lost our coach, and RWill had another surgery (not necessarily in that order) and all of the sudden, there was a lot of worry, understandably.

The biggest surprise for me is how much better that Brogdon has made the second unit.  I am not surprised that Brogdon is good, that was expected, but he is making a unit with Kornet, Pritchard, White, and Hauser into a weapon.  I am giving Brogdon a lot of credit for that.

The worry is still depth at Big.  If RWill comes back full strength and can stay on the floor,  that is of course going to go a long way towards shoring up our big rotation.  That will allow Grant to come off the bench where I think he is at his best and make the second unit even better.

I am starting to wonder if we are going to need to made any kind of trade.  Are we going to be fine with Kornet and Hauser in the "top 10" rotation?  Is the magic going to last?  Or do we need to do some kind of a trade to get additional reinforcements?  Getting a wing or big who can be ahead of Hauser or Kornet will probably mean trading Pritchard or White.