Author Topic: Trade Idea: Celtics-Wolves  (Read 1721 times)

Trade Idea: Celtics-Wolves
« on: November 25, 2022, 11:42:23 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Boston receives: Kyle Anderson and Jordan McLaughlin
Minnesota receives: Danillo Gallinari and Payton Pritchard

Reasons for Boston
- Boston has been circling on Kyle Anderson for several years. They were unable to make a trade work last year, but they did try according to several reports. I think if Anderson couldn't have gotten the full MLE with Minny (or elsewhere), he would have signed with Boston for the tax payer MLE instead of Gallo
- Anderson fits as another big in our lineup. He is unselfish, content player 18-20 minutes a game, and a great teammate. He can fit next to Horford or either Williams. He can pass, shoot, and is reasonably effective on defense.
- Anderson has experience playing with White in San Antonio and Smart/Tatum/Brown in the Olympics.
- Anderson gives us some leverage over Grant Williams. If he's willing to come to the negotiation table, it gives us some leverage because we have someone at that position already. Either way, I do think we will match is he signs an offer sheet elsewhere.

Lineup:
G Smart, Brogdon, McGlaughlin
G Brown, White
F Tatum, Anderson, Hauser
F Horford, Williams, Griffin
C Williams, Kornet

Reasons for Minnesota
- The Wolves need more shooting to open the floor for their offense. They could also use another reliable shot creator.
- The Wolves are thin at guard play but have multiple guys that play Anderson's position (KAT, McDaniels, Prince). This evens out their roster.
- The Wolves take a flier on Gallinari. If he comes back for the playoffs and/or next season, he'd be a great fit next to their other pieces.
- The Wolves gain some leverage over Russell in the negotiations for his next contract. I realize that Russell's potential game-to-game is higher than Pritchard's, but I do think Pritchard could be a reasonable facsimile of what Russell does for that team.

Re: Trade Idea: Celtics-Wolves
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 11:56:36 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I don’t see how they can make a trade right now and not target an actual big man. I like Anderson as a wing/swing but would rather they target a big man and just slide Horford/Williams down to the 4 (once Timelord comes back) and Williams to the bench.

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 12:42:04 PM »

• Paul Silas
I don’t see how they can make a trade right now and not target an actual big man. I like Anderson as a wing/swing but would rather they target a big man and just slide Horford/Williams down to the 4 (once Timelord comes back) and Williams to the bench.

I actually don't disagree. I've been spending some time looking at other team's big men. But they all have flaws comparable to the flaw that Kyle Anderson isn't a true big. He adds size that would lower Horford's minutes.

I value talent, experience, and play style more than position. I think Anderson would be a great option, and I think the Celtics could reasonably go into the post-season adding him and be one of the deepest teams at every position.

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 02:09:19 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
I have always like slow-mo’s game.  He does seem like he would fit with our team.  He is an unselfish player who has a knack for making the right play at the right time.

Would hate seeing PP go though.  He has been such a great spark plug at times.  But he is buried under a lot of talent here in Boston.  Not sure if he will ever get big enough minutes to develop into the best version of himself here.  Especially if we are keeping all of Smart, White and Brogdon long term.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 02:26:33 PM by blink »

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2022, 02:21:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Before the emergence of Hauser and the addition of Brogdon, I would have been all over a deal for Slow-Mo. I've proposed several deals involving him before.

I just don't think it's the right move for this team. Pritchard doesn't get a lot of minutes, but with how often Brogdon, Smart and Brown can get injured, his insurance is a necessity. McLaughlin is significantly worse than him, so we lose that insurance.

Slow-Mo plays comparable defence to Grant, passes better but shoots significantly worse. I don't know if he has the versatility that this team needs.

I would try and target Naz Reid of the Wolves instead. He is playing career-low minutes due to Gobert being added, but his defence gets better every season and he's an offensive machine. I think he could be a Christian Wood type player in the not distant future
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 02:35:45 PM »

• Paul Silas
Before the emergence of Hauser and the addition of Brogdon, I would have been all over a deal for Slow-Mo. I've proposed several deals involving him before.

I just don't think it's the right move for this team. Pritchard doesn't get a lot of minutes, but with how often Brogdon, Smart and Brown can get injured, his insurance is a necessity. McLaughlin is significantly worse than him, so we lose that insurance.

Slow-Mo plays comparable defence to Grant, passes better but shoots significantly worse. I don't know if he has the versatility that this team needs.

I would try and target Naz Reid of the Wolves instead. He is playing career-low minutes due to Gobert being added, but his defence gets better every season and he's an offensive machine. I think he could be a Christian Wood type player in the not distant future

I don't think Hauser and Slo-mo play the same position on the court. I do think Slo-mo can play 4 and some small-ball 5. Doing this moves Tatum down and keeps him fresher/healthier during the season. Hauser is more of true 3.

I'm definitely a fan of Naz Reid's. I've been to a couple of Celtics/Wolves games now, and he always pops in warmups. You think "He's big and athletic, and he's making a lot of threes."

He also had a moment earlier this year against Giannis where he made several tough defensive stands including a block.

A straight Pritchard for Reid swap makes some sense. If we could steal him for draft considerations into our TE instead, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2022, 02:38:00 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m not seeing the incentive for Minnesota. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2022, 02:49:20 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I don't think Hauser and Slo-mo play the same position on the court. I do think Slo-mo can play 4 and some small-ball 5. Doing this moves Tatum down and keeps him fresher/healthier during the season. Hauser is more of true 3.

I'm definitely a fan of Naz Reid's. I've been to a couple of Celtics/Wolves games now, and he always pops in warmups. You think "He's big and athletic, and he's making a lot of threes."

He also had a moment earlier this year against Giannis where he made several tough defensive stands including a block.

A straight Pritchard for Reid swap makes some sense. If we could steal him for draft considerations into our TE instead, I'd do that in a heartbeat.
That might be true, but I think Tatum is excelling at his role and will kept fresher by the return of Williams.

Yeah, his combination of size and skill has always intrigued me. I wanted us to draft him out of LSU, but instead we took his teammate Waters
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2022, 03:26:17 PM »

• Paul Silas
I’m not seeing the incentive for Minnesota.

Slo-mo's minutes are down this year. Truthfully, his fit in that scheme was always questionable. But adding a 40% 3 point shooter and secondary shot creator like Pritchard helps their guard rotation significantly. And, like I said, Russell right now has a good bit of leverage over this team, because they are all-in and can't afford to lose a rotation player. But if the Wolves say, "We will offer you a reasonable contract so you can play with your pal KAT, but we don't need you because we have this guy who produce 90% of what you do on a rookie contract," then they have the leverage.

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2022, 04:14:31 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Grant, 23, and Sam, 24, nullify a trade for Kyle unless they’re balking at extending Grant.

They’re playing well on both sides, younger, better shooters, know the system; while Kyle’s 29, still serviceable, makes $8.78M this season, and expects minutes in a every game role. Sam only averages 16.5 MPG and would have his minutes reduced further.

Payton is our most valuable non-rotation piece that is good enough to be in the rotation and can be extended at a discounted price; you have to get a better piece than KA. I’ve mentioned Payton for Jarred Vanderbilt or Naz Reid, but with the way the team’s playing, you hold off on until the deadline and you see where Rob and Danilo are at.

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2022, 04:41:55 PM »

• Paul Silas
Grant, 23, and Sam, 24, nullify a trade for Kyle unless they’re balking at extending Grant.

They’re playing well on both sides, younger, better shooters, know the system; while Kyle’s 29, still serviceable, makes $8.78M this season, and expects minutes in a every game role. Sam only averages 16.5 MPG and would have his minutes reduced further.

Payton is our most valuable non-rotation piece that is good enough to be in the rotation and can be extended at a discounted price; you have to get a better piece than KA. I’ve mentioned Payton for Jarred Vanderbilt or Naz Reid, but with the way the team’s playing, you hold off on until the deadline and you see where Rob and Danilo are at.

I'm completely good with Vanderbilt and Reid. I'd love either, but I don't really think KA would eat into Williams or Hauser's minutes that much. 

First, he'd be playing what Gallo's minutes were supposed to be.

Second, he'd cut into Horford's minutes to keep him more fresh. Horford is at almost 32 minutes a game right now, which is his highest since the 17-18 season. I'd love to get him down to 22-24 minutes a game and let him sit more games. A smart player like Kyle Anderson that has size gives you the ability to do that more.

Third, he'd cut into Brown's and Tatum's minutes, because KA has some shot creation at a replacement level that sets up shots for guys like Hauser. This keeps those guys fresh for the playoffs and a title run.