Author Topic: What If Following the 2015-2016 Season…  (Read 1254 times)

What If Following the 2015-2016 Season…
« on: November 24, 2022, 10:03:18 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
…we had unexpectedly traded the third overall pick in 2016 for 21-year-old Denver center Nikola Jokic coming off his rookie campaign of 10/7/2, offering the third overall pick to convince Denver to stick with Nurkic instead of Jokic, so they can pair their remaining hot shot center with young rookie Jaylen Brown? In other words, what if someone brilliant on the Celtics’ staff had properly projected Jokic’s trajectory after his rookie season? The heat at the time would have been intense, but in retrospect it would widely be regarded as one of the all-time greatest trades in NBA history.

And what if this trade was subsequently followed up by Kevin Durant and Al Horford wanting to build a title team in Boston by signing in free agency, KD listening to TB12 rather than joining the Warriors?

Let’s say we still landed the first overall pick courtesy of the Nets in 2017 and used it on JT. An IT for Kyrie mega deal still follows at the end of the summer 2017, too, particularly given the friendship between KD and Kyrie. In other words, heading into the 2017-2018 season we would have:

Kyrie
Smart
KD
Horford
Jokic

Probable 6MOTY, ROTY and future all-pro: JT

Bench: Scary Terry, Marcus Morris, Aaron Baynes, Theis, Ojeyele

Coach: Brad Stevens

Do we beat LeBron and the Durant-less Warriors in May/June 2018? How many titles does KD win in Boston? Do we lose any NBA Finals from 2018-2022?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 10:23:07 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

Re: What If Following the 2015-2016 Season…
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 03:56:59 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Its not enough that we keep bringing up trade ideas for Brown in his potential all-nba season, now were doing retro trades?!

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 05:12:30 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
This should have gone in the trade ideas thread.

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 08:48:54 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
KD chose Warriors and their 73-9 team over us. That ship has long sailed.

If we had KD tho then yeah we def beat LeBron and probably the Warriors.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2022, 10:48:21 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Kyrie still would have ruined things.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2022, 01:54:51 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
This is a unique way of offering yet another Jaylen trade from Greenly
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2022, 04:17:04 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94

The funny part is that I wanted to deal the pick for Jokic at the time, thinking a player with the nickname The Joker would be epic. Although I had no idea Jokic would become an MVP player, I did figure he had all-star potential, maybe all-NBA potential, and I’ve always had an affinity for bigs who can seemingly do it all right down to passing. He certainly seemed like a better bet than JB after seeing Jokic could ball during his rookie campaign.

Of course, I then wanted to deal JB for Kawhi in 2018.

And now I want to deal JB for KD in 2022-2023…

So this what-if alternative history makes everything come full circle. But Roy is probably right that Kyrie would have somehow screwed it all up. He seems to destined to be known for two things: That epic game seven three at the end of the 2016 NBA Finals, and trying to destroy franchises thereafter.

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2022, 11:08:42 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

The funny part is that I wanted to deal the pick for Jokic at the time, thinking a player with the nickname The Joker would be epic. Although I had no idea Jokic would become an MVP player, I did figure he had all-star potential, maybe all-NBA potential, and I’ve always had an affinity for bigs who can seemingly do it all right down to passing. He certainly seemed like a better bet than JB after seeing Jokic could ball during his rookie campaign.

Of course, I then wanted to deal JB for Kawhi in 2018.

And now I want to deal JB for KD in 2022-2023…

So this what-if alternative history makes everything come full circle. But Roy is probably right that Kyrie would have somehow screwed it all up. He seems to destined to be known for two things: That epic game seven three at the end of the 2016 NBA Finals, and trying to destroy franchises thereafter.
the key component to all your bad ideas.  an unhealthy need to trade away a young, still-improving all-star.