Author Topic: Kings (10-7) at Celtics (14-4) Game #19 11/25/22  (Read 11295 times)

Re: Kings (10-7) at Celtics (14-4) Game #19 11/25/22
« Reply #135 on: November 25, 2022, 10:01:27 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1375
The thing about timeouts is: sure, sometimes they work. And other times they don’t, or you don’t need one. Case in point: the Cs went down six and since they’ve gone on an 11-0 run. Mike Brown tried to stop the run with a timeout. Nope. Twice it failed now.

Timeouts is just a personal philosophy that people believe in one way or another. Some people believe they work others that they don’t and neither will be able to convince each other.

After that Mike Brown timeout after a Cs 15-0 run the Cs continued on a 17-2 run. I’m sure there are other examples of it working.

I think people feel better if the coach is seen to be doing something when the other team is scoring points
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #136 on: November 25, 2022, 10:01:40 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Need the timeout, Joe. Clearly out of sorts on both ends.
Anyone who says a timeout wouldn’t help stop a run is ridiculous. It’s a reset. Good coaches get through to their team.

I wouldn't be saying that around here. There are a few basketball dullards on this board who will jump your case for criticizing Joe's idiotic timeout philosophy. Where were you guys the other nite when I had to argue 4 against 1 ????
Mazzula, the most inexperienced coach in the league, thinks he has found a new formula for developing his team's resilience.
I said this the other night: Mazzulla is the Cs equivalent of Steve Nash. He’s a warm body that fills the position of coach. He’s along for the ride as the players do their thing. I don’t think the players really respect him the way they did Udoka. I hope the Cs are healthy because I think their talent will carry them but I don’t expect much from Mazzulla in terms of adjustments during the playoffs. If Mazzulla just “let’s them play through it” in the playoffs, that kind of momentum shift loses you games.

You don’t think the Celtics players respect Mazz like they did Udoka. Based on what exactly? Kinda strange to be bashing the coach and his philosophy when the C’s have the best record in the NBA.

Whether it's Stevens, Ime, or Mazz, posters are going to rag on coaches no matter what. I've just learned that armchair coaches always think they know best even though they've probably never even played a game at the YMCA.

Lotsa armchair coaches here tbh, esp guys who are so stuck in past. He probably thinks with him and his genius philosopy the Celtics will be 18-0. I think those guys coaching the warriors team will probably wont a single championship. This game alone has mixed results with it comes to timeouts. Substitutions have more direct effect than timeouts for both sides. Like Ive said before, timeouts help in some cases, not all cases (like someone here assume). If they are playing bad they CAN help, but its no guarantee. Mazzulla has said that he will let them play through bad moments though so we can expect even less than that.

« Reply #137 on: November 25, 2022, 10:01:50 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!
C’s got tired of playing with their food. That only works against bad defensive teams though.

« Reply #138 on: November 25, 2022, 10:02:14 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2004
PP and Kornet deserve to finish the game.

« Reply #139 on: November 25, 2022, 10:02:32 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1441
Anyone who says a timeout wouldn’t help stop a run is ridiculous. It’s a reset. Good coaches get through to their team.

I wouldn't be saying that around here. There are a few basketball dullards on this board who will jump your case for criticizing Joe's idiotic timeout philosophy. Where were you guys the other nite when I had to argue 4 against 1 ????
Mazzula, the most inexperienced coach in the league, thinks he has found a new formula for developing his team's resilience.
I said this the other night: Mazzulla is the Cs equivalent of Steve Nash. He’s a warm body that fills the position of coach. He’s along for the ride as the players do their thing. I don’t think the players really respect him the way they did Udoka. I hope the Cs are healthy because I think their talent will carry them but I don’t expect much from Mazzulla in terms of adjustments during the playoffs. If Mazzulla just “let’s them play through it” in the playoffs, that kind of momentum shift loses you games.

You don’t think the Celtics players respect Mazz like they did Udoka. Based on what exactly? Kinda strange to be bashing the coach and his philosophy when the C’s have the best record in the NBA.

Whether it's Stevens, Ime, or Mazz, posters are going to rag on coaches no matter what. I've just learned that armchair coaches always think they know best even though they've probably never even played a game at the YMCA.

Ime was not coaching well during the first half of last season, so I could understand people complaining about it. This I don’t get. Apparently having the best record in the league isn’t good enough. lol.
His team having the best record doesn’t make him a good coach. Personally I haven’t seen anything from Mazzulla that says “Wow, great adjustment etc”. I think him not calling timeouts doesn’t really do anything for the team.

I think the claim is: you are picking on the timeouts, which is a really *tiny* part of coaching. Do you know what sets he put in for the year? What part he played in the team’s dramatically different offense - much improved even from the second half of last year? I see an *lot* more off-ball action and cuts, which I expect he out in. The players also didn’t get distracted by the Ime situation - which I’m sure isn’t all him, but if the players didn’t respect him, don’t you think they’d resent him - and the team could have spiraled? I don’t see any of that. You  are saying he gets no credit, but how do you know that?

Exactly. Well said. TP
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #140 on: November 25, 2022, 10:02:55 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
The C's over the past six minutes...

« Reply #141 on: November 25, 2022, 10:03:17 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Kornet's been huge!

« Reply #142 on: November 25, 2022, 10:03:39 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Ime was not coaching well during the first half of last season, so I could understand people complaining about it. This I don’t get. Apparently having the best record in the league isn’t good enough. lol.
His team having the best record doesn’t make him a good coach. Personally I haven’t seen anything from Mazzulla that says “Wow, great adjustment etc”. I think him not calling timeouts doesn’t really do anything for the team.

So winning games doesn’t make him a good coach… ???
Remember when Luc Walton won a lot of games with the Warriors while Kerr was out? Was he a good coach? All I am saying is I think the players are carrying the coach more than this coach doing anything on his end. Maybe he’ll prove me wrong in the long run. The guy got hired like 2 days before the preseason started. I don’t think he reinvented the wheel in terms of what the Cs were going to run for sets etc. He’s young and inexperienced so yes, I think it is fair to question him.

« Reply #143 on: November 25, 2022, 10:04:13 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
PP and Kornet flipped the switch!

« Reply #144 on: November 25, 2022, 10:04:32 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
One reason we are concerned about the possibility of a lack of respect by the players for Mazzulla is the lazy defense on display much too often this season. Based on last season, these guys know the defensive system and how to execute it as a team. The other ingredient to great defense is effort and we are not seeing as much of it this season. And RobW being out is not a factor in the lack of effort we see.  So ..... that leads to speculation that Mazzulla is either not demanding enough or his demands are not being responded to by the players. All speculation at this point because we are not inside the team or at practice, but it is a fair concern.

Mazzulla's hording of timeouts is just maddening.
It's Coaching 101.

Here’s another possibility. The team is scoring on a historic level. They win games without expending maximum effort on D in the second and third quarters, but have been turning it on when it’s winning time, especially in Q4.

I think there’s a balance - you can’t go too far with bad habits - but this team expects to play until June. I don’t need them to go 100% for 48 in November - especially if they have the best record in the league.

« Reply #145 on: November 25, 2022, 10:04:35 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
This team looked dead in the water until that PP, Hauser, and Kornet trio came out and played like badasses. They deserve mad props.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #146 on: November 25, 2022, 10:04:52 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

« Reply #147 on: November 25, 2022, 10:04:54 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1375

I think the claim is: you are picking on the timeouts, which is a really *tiny* part of coaching. Do you know what sets he put in for the year? What part he played in the team’s dramatically different offense - much improved even from the second half of last year? I see an *lot* more off-ball action and cuts, which I expect he out in. The players also didn’t get distracted by the Ime situation - which I’m sure isn’t all him, but if the players didn’t respect him, don’t you think they’d resent him - and the team could have spiraled? I don’t see any of that. You  are saying he gets no credit, but how do you know that?

To be fair to them it’s the part that a lot of fans see, the in game management. Nobody thinks about what else he does other than game day, because nobody sees their practices or meetings with the front office or all that other stuff. So when he stands there chewing gum while the team is dealing with a run it doesn’t go down too well

I think he made his philosophy clear and I’m sure he has quant data to back it up, he seems like that type of guy, hands off and more of a coaching than a coercive management style. Empower people rather than tell them what to so
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #148 on: November 25, 2022, 10:05:14 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
This team looked dead in the water until that PP, Hauser, and Kornet trio came out and played like badasses. They deserve mad props.

This bench rocks!!!

« Reply #149 on: November 25, 2022, 10:05:19 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Wow. Just wow. We're just playing with them right now offensively!

PP and Kornet making the case to Joe that he should've never sat them the last few games.