Author Topic: Mavericks (9-7) at Celtics (13-4) Game #18 11/23/22  (Read 12019 times)

Re: Mavericks (9-7) at Celtics (13-4) Game #18 11/23/22
« Reply #285 on: November 23, 2022, 10:17:49 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Very good win.

Not sure when the MVP turned into the “I’m good but my teammates suck” award, but tonight was an example of why I prefer Tatum over Doncic as players.  Tatum is a substantially better defender and I’m not going to hold the quality of his teammates against him.  The fact that Jaylen, Smart, Horford, White, and Brogdon can have good games alongside him is a strength, not a weakness.  Assists aren’t the only way to make teammates better.

« Reply #286 on: November 23, 2022, 10:17:59 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Finally beat Dallas, glad to see us back in the W column again, it's been millenniums!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #287 on: November 23, 2022, 10:19:32 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I been under the weather for 2 days..came out to give yall TPs and to say happy  thanks

Get well soon brother.  TP back to ya.

« Reply #288 on: November 23, 2022, 10:23:05 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Big game coming up against the Kings.

Did I think I’d type that sentence this year? I did not.

« Reply #289 on: November 23, 2022, 11:09:44 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
We are winning a title this year. Tatum continues to get better and Brown is also still improving. Good luck stopping us.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

« Reply #290 on: November 23, 2022, 11:23:31 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
It's starting to feel like every game is a win. And I'm actually getting bored at times watching them dominant stretches. Not since 07-08 did it feel like such a wagon of a team. Just stay healthy.

« Reply #291 on: November 23, 2022, 11:38:51 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
The more they win the angrier I get that they've somehow lost to the thoroughly mediocre Bulls twice.

At least the Bulls beat the Bucks tonight.

« Reply #292 on: November 23, 2022, 11:49:43 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
The more they win the angrier I get that they've somehow lost to the thoroughly mediocre Bulls twice.

At least the Bulls beat the Bucks tonight.

If Al was at least average vs the Bulls we probably win. He was horrendous.

« Reply #293 on: November 24, 2022, 02:44:31 AM »

Offline Celtics Mike

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 237
Been busy at work all day so I couldn't check the game. Delighted to see Celtics get back in the win column. As for Timelord returning from injury I think the wisest course if action would be to build him up gradually and not rush him back. He is more important for the post season.

« Reply #294 on: November 24, 2022, 04:13:00 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I just got home ........ looks like Mazulla is still playing stubborn with his timeouts - to allow a 27-point lead to evaporate to single digits and the last two possessions were Tatum jacking up 28-foot shots. I am beginning to really dislike Mazzula.

A timeout doesn’t stop a run. The players do.

Yes, timeouts do stop runs.
You see it every night.

He called one late in the third, when the run started. They didn’t get better. Timeouts were obviously not the issue.

Good Lord, that is one exception you are pulling out of the entire season.
Mazzulla has consistently allowed big leads to disappear without at least trying something different.

You’re complaining that Mazzulla was terrible *in this game*. I was responding by talking about *this game*.

My reference was the entire season and I was ASKING if he did it again tonite........
which he apparently did because he allowed the run without a timeout after the timeout you mentioned.
It's Coaching 101 and this young, inexperienced guy thinks he has some new answer to managing games.
That is what bothers me.
Try it once in awhile if you want Joe, just not all the time. Keep it simple during your interim season.

Having said that, it was very good to see the Celts respond tonite after the Bulls game.

The coach has said on multiple occasions that he wants the players to figure things out while the game is being played. The Celtics have the best record in the NBA. I think it’s working out just fine.
Yeah, unless you can point to the exact times in the 4 losses that a timeout should have been called and prove beyond a doubt that calling one then would have changed the outcomes of those 4 games(and no one can do that), what's to complain about? The philosophy doesn't appear to be hurting the team. And, Mazzula never said he would coach this way in the playoffs. So why complain? Unless complaining is just your schtick.

Positive Nick ......... never let a criticism go unchallenged, huh ?

Your idea of reviewing all four losses and analyzing the timeouts in just those games is entirely missing the point.
There are plenty of other posters here who rail against Mazzula and his timeout philosophy. I am hardly alone.
Check the game threads.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #295 on: November 24, 2022, 05:55:47 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Great win!! Luka is unbelievable
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #296 on: November 24, 2022, 05:55:59 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
I just got home ........ looks like Mazulla is still playing stubborn with his timeouts - to allow a 27-point lead to evaporate to single digits and the last two possessions were Tatum jacking up 28-foot shots. I am beginning to really dislike Mazzula.

A timeout doesn’t stop a run. The players do.

Yes, timeouts do stop runs.
You see it every night.

He called one late in the third, when the run started. They didn’t get better. Timeouts were obviously not the issue.

Good Lord, that is one exception you are pulling out of the entire season.
Mazzulla has consistently allowed big leads to disappear without at least trying something different.

You’re complaining that Mazzulla was terrible *in this game*. I was responding by talking about *this game*.

My reference was the entire season and I was ASKING if he did it again tonite........
which he apparently did because he allowed the run without a timeout after the timeout you mentioned.
It's Coaching 101 and this young, inexperienced guy thinks he has some new answer to managing games.
That is what bothers me.
Try it once in awhile if you want Joe, just not all the time. Keep it simple during your interim season.

Having said that, it was very good to see the Celts respond tonite after the Bulls game.

The coach has said on multiple occasions that he wants the players to figure things out while the game is being played. The Celtics have the best record in the NBA. I think it’s working out just fine.
Yeah, unless you can point to the exact times in the 4 losses that a timeout should have been called and prove beyond a doubt that calling one then would have changed the outcomes of those 4 games(and no one can do that), what's to complain about? The philosophy doesn't appear to be hurting the team. And, Mazzula never said he would coach this way in the playoffs. So why complain? Unless complaining is just your schtick.

Positive Nick ......... never let a criticism go unchallenged, huh ?

Your idea of reviewing all four losses and analyzing the timeouts in just those games is entirely missing the point.
There are plenty of other posters here who rail against Mazzula and his timeout philosophy. I am hardly alone.
Check the game threads.

People will always find something to complain about. Also innovatuons will never be born if people just follow traditional beliefs without challenging them. How many championships would the warriors have if they followed years old gameplay? Im guessing 0?

« Reply #297 on: November 24, 2022, 06:14:32 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Been busy at work all day so I couldn't check the game. Delighted to see Celtics get back in the win column. As for Timelord returning from injury I think the wisest course if action would be to build him up gradually and not rush him back. He is more important for the post season.

I've been saying since before the "extended injury time" to bring TL off the bench and start Tatum at PF. Tatum has hopefully proven to everyone on here he can play PF full time considering his numbers and the team wins. Al, TL, Kornet and (some) Grant should be sharing the Center minutes keeping Al and TL healthy. Go with something like

C-Al/TL/Kornet
PF-Tatum/Grant/Vonleh
SF-JB/Hauser
SG-White/PP
PG-Smart/Brogdon

Other than when facing Bucks and Al on a B2B I like it going to this by default.

« Reply #298 on: November 24, 2022, 07:17:05 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo

I've been saying since before the "extended injury time" to bring TL off the bench and start Tatum at PF. Tatum has hopefully proven to everyone on here he can play PF full time considering his numbers and the team wins. Al, TL, Kornet and (some) Grant should be sharing the Center minutes keeping Al and TL healthy. Go with something like

C-Al/TL/Kornet
PF-Tatum/Grant/Vonleh
SF-JB/Hauser
SG-White/PP
PG-Smart/Brogdon

Other than when facing Bucks and Al on a B2B I like it going to this by default.

I think this is fine and a good option for several reasons. I think ideally though we still want our atarting five last year because JB at the 2 is such a mismatch. But this lineup works in most situations too and like I said has merits (such as freeing more minutes for our talented guars rotation.

« Reply #299 on: November 24, 2022, 07:52:11 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

C-Al/TL/Kornet
PF-Tatum/Grant/Vonleh
SF-JB/Hauser
SG-White/PP
PG-Smart/Brogdon

I think Rob is better as a starter because he sets a tone on D.   I realize he may come off the bench when he returns, but I would rather see Al do that as it gives him better matchups or return to double big.