Author Topic: Mavericks (9-7) at Celtics (13-4) Game #18 11/23/22  (Read 12195 times)

Re: Mavericks (9-7) at Celtics (13-4) Game #18 11/23/22
« Reply #270 on: November 23, 2022, 10:02:05 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
We single cover Luka all game. He’s had to account for around 60% of the offense and we divert to doubling him when his teammates are relatively fresh.

Let him go one on one all game, if he wants, but diverging from it and letting the rest of the Mavs get involved is a terrible strategy.

Aside from that, awesome block by JT and great game from this team against an opponent that has given us trouble for years.

Yeah I was wondering about this, as well. It worked so well, so why were we trying to change it? You saw how good Tatum was beating the double team with the pass, and Luka is better than Tatum at that aspect.

It also shows how good Tatum was that he was getting doubled virtually every time down the court and still put up 37, 13, and 5 with great defense.

« Reply #271 on: November 23, 2022, 10:02:18 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
We single cover Luka all game. He’s had to account for around 60% of the offense and we divert to doubling him when his teammates are relatively fresh.

Let him go one on one all game, if he wants, but diverging from it and letting the rest of the Mavs get involved is a terrible strategy.

Aside from that, awesome block by JT and great game from this team against an opponent that has given us trouble for years.

Best thing about that was: we closed out really well. Tatum switched onto Luka and made it hard for him - then absolutely took Luka apart on the other end.

« Reply #272 on: November 23, 2022, 10:02:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
When the Jays both play this well in the same game, there's not a team on the planet that can beat them as long as they get just a bit of help from the rest of the guys.

« Reply #273 on: November 23, 2022, 10:02:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
TP Time!!!!!

« Reply #274 on: November 23, 2022, 10:03:46 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas

Yeah I was wondering about this, as well. It worked so well, so why were we trying to change it? You saw how good Tatum was beating the double team with the pass, and Luka is better than Tatum at that aspect.

Yeah, there were Wood buckets when Luka used him as screener in pick and roll. Cs were so preoccupied with Luka that they lost track of Wood rolling to the bucket for a dunk.

« Reply #275 on: November 23, 2022, 10:04:59 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Remember when people wanted to put shooting on the team by giving Davis Bertrand a big contract?

I was about to say…wow he’s just a garbage time guy now? Did Dallas give him that huge contract or did they trade for him?
They got him from the Wizards in the Porzingis deal.

Thanks and TP! Wow how bad was that with how Porzingis is playing now.

« Reply #276 on: November 23, 2022, 10:05:40 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
I been under the weather for 2 days..came out to give yall TPs and to say happy  thanks

« Reply #277 on: November 23, 2022, 10:06:18 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
When the Jays both play this well in the same game, there's not a team on the planet that can beat them as long as they get just a bit of help from the rest of the guys.

Wow, they just showed a graphic that the Jays have the third most 30 point games as a duo behind KD/Russ and Kobe/Shaq. Crazy.

« Reply #278 on: November 23, 2022, 10:06:43 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
I just got home ........ looks like Mazulla is still playing stubborn with his timeouts - to allow a 27-point lead to evaporate to single digits and the last two possessions were Tatum jacking up 28-foot shots. I am beginning to really dislike Mazzula.

A timeout doesn’t stop a run. The players do.

Yes, timeouts do stop runs.
You see it every night.

He called one late in the third, when the run started. They didn’t get better. Timeouts were obviously not the issue.

Good Lord, that is one exception you are pulling out of the entire season.
Mazzulla has consistently allowed big leads to disappear without at least trying something different.

You’re complaining that Mazzulla was terrible *in this game*. I was responding by talking about *this game*.

My reference was the entire season and I was ASKING if he did it again tonite........
which he apparently did because he allowed the run without a timeout after the timeout you mentioned.
It's Coaching 101 and this young, inexperienced guy thinks he has some new answer to managing games.
That is what bothers me.
Try it once in awhile if you want Joe, just not all the time. Keep it simple during your interim season.

Having said that, it was very good to see the Celts respond tonite after the Bulls game.

The coach has said on multiple occasions that he wants the players to figure things out while the game is being played. The Celtics have the best record in the NBA. Seems to be working out just fine.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #279 on: November 23, 2022, 10:08:22 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I just got home ........ looks like Mazulla is still playing stubborn with his timeouts - to allow a 27-point lead to evaporate to single digits and the last two possessions were Tatum jacking up 28-foot shots. I am beginning to really dislike Mazzula.

You see it every night.

He called one late in the third, when the run started. They didn’t get better. Timeouts were obviously not the issue.

Mazzulla has consistently allowed big leads to disappear without at least trying something different.

You’re complaining that Mazzulla was terrible *in this game*. I was responding by talking about *this game*.

Moving goalposts to prove his narrative. I mean last game we got lead down to 13 iirc then Bulls called a timeout. What happened after? Well the lead got even smaller before they finally turned the favor with lucky shots at the end of the shotclock. Yeah nice timeout.

« Reply #280 on: November 23, 2022, 10:09:32 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
I been under the weather for 2 days..came out to give yall TPs and to say happy  thanks

take it easy, feel better!
happy holidays
TP for you too

« Reply #281 on: November 23, 2022, 10:10:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

You see it every night.

My reference was the entire season and I was ASKING if he did it again tonite........
which he apparently did because he allowed the run without a timeout after the timeout you mentioned.
It's Coaching 101 and this young, inexperienced guy thinks he has some new answer to managing games.
That is what bothers me.
Try it once in awhile if you want Joe, just not all the time. Keep it simple during your interim season.

Having said that, it was very good to see the Celts respond tonite after the Bulls game.

The coach has said on multiple occasions that he wants the players to figure things out while the game is being played. The Celtics have the best record in the NBA. I think it’s working out just fine.
Yeah, unless you can point to the exact times in the 4 losses that a timeout should have been called and prove beyond a doubt that calling one then would have changed the outcomes of those 4 games(and no one can do that), what's to complain about? The philosophy doesn't appear to be hurting the team. And, Mazzula never said he would coach this way in the playoffs. So why complain? Unless complaining is just your schtick.

« Reply #282 on: November 23, 2022, 10:11:22 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

Wow, they just showed a graphic that the Jays have the third most 30 point games as a duo behind KD/Russ and Kobe/Shaq. Crazy.

I sometimes wonder if we realize how good the Js are as a duo.  We are just expect so much out of them now. 
The future is BRIGHT.  just gotta get timelord back.

« Reply #283 on: November 23, 2022, 10:13:44 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
Deleted. Nvm.

« Reply #284 on: November 23, 2022, 10:15:22 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

TP back, feel better soon!
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D