Author Topic: Jaylen and his Anti-Semitic Friends (split)  (Read 12788 times)

Re: Jaylen and his Anti-Semitic Friends (split)
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2022, 06:59:28 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
It's interesting that some of the same people who are finding excuses or trying to minimize the actions of 26 year old Jaylen Brown are some of the same that were excoriating the Bruins for signing a guy who committed racist acts when he was 14 years old. 14.

If Brown were suspended by the NBA, there'd be righteous indignation everywhere, but the NHL says Mitchell Miller is ineligible to even play and no one even blinks an eye.

This is lazy. Mitchell Miller doesn’t deserve to play in the NHL. Jaylen Brown is acting like an idiot. What each has done to this point is not comparable - and it’s insipid to act like it is.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2022, 07:55:50 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
This thread should have its title changed. Its an intentional effort to blast Brown for things he has not said or done by grouping him with other people he doesn't agree with. This is pretty common media coverage these days. Irving was foolish for what he put out there. Absolutely no doubt about it. But his actual beliefs are being misrepresented as a result. Now, there is an attempt to sweep away anyone and everyone connected to Kyrie who have not joined the mob to crucify him.

Brown didn't feel that Kyrie's actual views were being represented well. Brown also didn't like the precedent that was being set as a representative of the players union. It's his job to advocate for the players. He's done that well.

One thing that public opinion is not good at is nuance. Brown is unwilling to yield to a black-and-white view of the situation. He is instead choosing nuance -- its a nuanced view that denounces everything about antisemiticism, while also placing a high value on players in their profession, as well as a high value on lifting up the black community. The public (and this forum) don't appreciate that nuance. Personally, I do.

He's a great player and probably even a better young man. I'm proud he's a Celtic.

Honestly, the borderline racist remarks that Brown received on Reddit is appalling and to be honest exposes the hypocrisy of white liberals. I guess shut up and dribble is only good if he says views you don't agree with.

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2022, 08:08:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
This thread should have its title changed. Its an intentional effort to blast Brown for things he has not said or done by grouping him with other people he doesn't agree with. This is pretty common media coverage these days. Irving was foolish for what he put out there. Absolutely no doubt about it. But his actual beliefs are being misrepresented as a result. Now, there is an attempt to sweep away anyone and everyone connected to Kyrie who have not joined the mob to crucify him.

Brown didn't feel that Kyrie's actual views were being represented well. Brown also didn't like the precedent that was being set as a representative of the players union. It's his job to advocate for the players. He's done that well.

One thing that public opinion is not good at is nuance. Brown is unwilling to yield to a black-and-white view of the situation. He is instead choosing nuance -- its a nuanced view that denounces everything about antisemiticism, while also placing a high value on players in their profession, as well as a high value on lifting up the black community. The public (and this forum) don't appreciate that nuance. Personally, I do.

He's a great player and probably even a better young man. I'm proud he's a Celtic.

Honestly, the borderline racist remarks that Brown received on Reddit is appalling and to be honest exposes the hypocrisy of white liberals. I guess shut up and dribble is only good if he says views you don't agree with.
Sigh, here you go again.

Nobody here is being racist towards Brown. I know you're obsessed with "the hypocrisy of white liberals", but this post just contributes nothing. We are not Reddit, people here are not being racist, and there is plenty to disagree with Jaylen Brown about. Nobody wants him to shut up - we want him to be better.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2022, 08:16:27 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
I knew this day would come eventually, sadly.

I’ve already posted the solution to this disaster: Three-way deal with the Nets/Lakers where Kyrie and JB are delivered to LeBron, and in return we get KD and the Nets get AD. For more, it’s one of the newest ideas here:

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=105425.540

LeBron can shield and subsequently educate his little brothers. Meanwhile, JT/KD/Brogdon/Smart/Timelord/Horford/D-White/Batman is unstoppable. Maybe, just maybe, we win banner 18 or 19 by beating LA in the Finals, too. How sweet would that be?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 08:23:06 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2022, 08:18:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't want to trade JB, because I think he's on the borderline of being an All-NBA player.

I do want him to truly educate himself. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2022, 08:21:04 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I knew this day would come eventually, sadly.

I’ve already posted the solution to this disaster: Three-way deal with the Nets/Lakers where Kyrie and JB are delivered to LeBron, and in return we get KD and the Nets get AD. For more, it’s one of the newest ideas here:

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=105425.540
Do not try to hijack this thread with yet another bad trade idea

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2022, 08:27:09 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
What’s happening now with the antisemitism is a natural reaction to allowing racism to be acceptable.

Hopefully the Overton window on this stuff shifts back
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2022, 08:29:08 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
What’s happening now with the antisemitism is a natural reaction to allowing racism to be acceptable.

Black Hebrew Israelites being antisemitic is not new

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2022, 08:47:50 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

What is new is major figures in pop culture adopting antisemtic ideas and displaying them for the masses on SM. Telling groups of people that they cannot be racist because they lack “power and privilege” is directly related to this.

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2022, 09:30:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

What is new is major figures in pop culture adopting antisemtic ideas and displaying them for the masses on SM. Telling groups of people that they cannot be racist because they lack “power and privilege” is directly related to this.
No, it is not new. Neither is "allowing racism to be acceptable", given it is less acceptable in the US than ever before.

Prove the relation.

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2022, 09:46:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

No, it is not new. Neither is "allowing racism to be acceptable", given it is less acceptable in the US than ever before.

Prove the relation.

I think what JSD is getting at is that recently, people have been emboldened to embrace their prejudice.  I think that that is correct.  White supremacists thrived under Trump, and black supremacists feel similarly emboldened.  It's easy to find like-minded individuals on the internet, and there haven't been enough strong voices to completely stamp it down. 

I do think we're reaching a high point compared to the last 25 years or so.  But, people forget that Jesse Jackson -- a prominent activist and presidential candidate -- referred to NYC as "Hymie Town" in 1984.  I've mentioned Malcolm X and Farrakhan.  There's been plenty of Anti-Semitism in the black vs. Jew context for decades.  But, it's not like this is some sort of prejudice created by blacks.  There were centuries of holy wars, an attempted genocide of the Jewish people, and pretty much constant attacks against Israel since it was given sovereignty.

And, even beyond anti-Semitism, we don't need to think very hard to come up with examples of society embracing bigotry.  Racism against blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Native Americans, immigrants in general.  Prejudice against gays.  More recent phenomena involving backlash against the traditional groups in power.  It's hard to say that the current pattern stands out as unique.  The world is built on bigotry toward those who groups in power think they can marginalize.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2022, 09:48:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Prove the relation.

I think what JSD is getting at is that recently, people have been emboldened to embrace their prejudice.  I think that that is correct.  White supremacists thrived under Trump, and black supremacists feel similarly emboldened.  It's easy to find like-minded individuals on the internet, and there haven't been enough strong voices to completely stamp it down. 

I do think we're reaching a high point compared to the last 25 years or so.  But, people forget that Jesse Jackson -- a prominent activist and presidential candidate -- referred to NYC as "Hymie Town" in 1984.  I've mentioned Malcolm X and Farrakhan.  There's been plenty of Anti-Semitism in the black vs. Jew context for decades.  But, it's not like this is some sort of prejudice created by blacks.  There were centuries of holy wars, an attempted genocide of the Jewish people, and pretty much constant attacks against Israel since it was given sovereignty.

And, even beyond anti-Semitism, we don't need to think very hard to come up with examples of society embracing bigotry.  Racism against blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Native Americans, immigrants in general.  Prejudice against gays.  More recent phenomena involving backlash against the traditional groups in power.  It's hard to say that the current pattern stands out as unique.  The world is built on bigotry toward those who groups in power think they can marginalize.
I think it's overly generous to think JSD would be on board with the emboldened.

The rest I agree with.

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2022, 10:18:36 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
wrong thread
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2022, 01:42:31 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
You have to wonder if all these dumb distractions JB caused in the last 24 hours is what led to the low energy effort last night against the Bulls. Goodbye winning streak.

JB does seem to be in that world. It’s really too bad

« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2022, 12:47:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Brown also said that he comes from a community “torn by system representations and images of violence,” which is why he reacted so strongly to the video.

“When I saw that video, it struck a chord just for different reasons,” Brown said, via CLNS Media. “I saw a large group of people from our community showing support for (Irving) and his return. Me being proud of that support, proud of our community for doing that does not mean I endorse or celebrate some of the things that were being done or being said in my community.”

My instincts when I saw that was I didn’t notice which group it was,” Brown said. “I just noticed the support, and that’s what I commented on and I reemphasized. I don’t think that everything that’s being said or being done is something that I endorse or represent.”

Brown didn’t delete his original “energy” tweet, which was posted at 5:33 p.m. His clarifying tweet sent afterwards came at 9:15 p.m., and Brown said he doesn’t intend to delete his first tweet.

“Removing the tweet would be removing my support for him and his return,” Brown said. “That was what my agenda was when I tweeted it. I think anybody trying to discontort or misconstrue what my support was has a separate agenda at hand. That’s now what I was trying to do at all.”

This guy *is* Kyrie.  The pseudo-intellectual nonsense, the vegan diet and fasting, the support of anti-Semitics, the hiding behind his role in the NBAPA, the hanging with Kanye, the egoism and not feeling appreciated enough.  Next we'll hear that Tatum is "sonning" him before he refuses to speak to his teammates in the playoffs.

100% chance he leaves Boston when his contract expires.  I'll root for him while he still wears the laundry, but that's not going to be for that much longer.  That's the truth: don't discontort it.