Author Topic: Jaylen and his Anti-Semitic Friends (split)  (Read 12825 times)

Re: Jaylen and his Anti-Semitic Friends
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2022, 12:16:47 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
Pretty worrisome with his recent behavior.

I think most would agree that Brown seems more insightful and intelligent than the faux-intellectual Kyrie and the blatantly ignorant Kanye.

But his judgment about pairing with these guys and continuing to attach himself to them is bizarre and shows lack of maturity in his insight and poor judgment. The post tonight was just an immature, emotional reaction without all of the information. But if you’re going to wade into those waters with that kind of platform, you have to have your facts straight.

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2022, 04:23:53 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
In the last month JB has tweeted support of:

Kanye
Kyrie
Black Hebrew Israelites

All we need are some quotes from Farrakhan and Malcolm X to make Black Supremacist Anti-Semite bingo.

Edit:  Research shows he’s a big Malcolm X fan, too.  I haven’t seen any Farrakhan tweets out there yet, but birds of a feather…
I don't see much point in lumping Malcolm X in here, personally - he's a much broader thing as a cultural icon, and while he is part of the iconography of the Afrocentrists (easy synopsis here) Afrocentrism =/= antisemitic (or other discrimination) in and of itself.

In other words, I think we risk getting away from a productive discussion if we go down this rabbit hole.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2022, 06:25:37 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Kanye
Kyrie
Black Hebrew Israelites

All we need are some quotes from Farrakhan and Malcolm X to make Black Supremacist Anti-Semite bingo.

Edit:  Research shows he’s a big Malcolm X fan, too.  I haven’t seen any Farrakhan tweets out there yet, but birds of a feather…
I don't see much point in lumping Malcolm X in here, personally - he's a much broader thing as a cultural icon, and while he is part of the iconography of the Afrocentrists (easy synopsis here) Afrocentrism =/= antisemitic (or other discrimination) in and of itself.

In other words, I think we risk getting away from a productive discussion if we go down this rabbit hole.

Anti-Semitism wasn’t central to Malcolm X’s ideology in the same way it is to Farrakhan or the Black Hebrew Israelites, but he certainly was an anti-Semite.  Perhaps you’re correct about derailing the discussion, however.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/blm-should-look-to-martin-luther-king-not-malcolm-x-for-inspiration/

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2022, 07:23:30 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Hope Jaylen doesn’t get himself in trouble in his work circle in the process of doing his job.   So from this standpoint I wish the Nets /Kyrie thing would get resolved between them ASAP .

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2022, 07:38:33 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Hope Jaylen doesn’t get himself in trouble in his work circle in the process of doing his job.   So from this standpoint I wish the Nets /Kyrie thing would get resolved between them ASAP .

I don't think that this is just an example of JB doing his job, or being related to his work circle.

Grant Williams and Malcolm Brogdon are also Vice Presidents in the NBAPA.  They haven't had the same problems.  I think the conflict with Jaylen is, his mindset is a little closer to Kyrie and Kanye than his fellow NBAPA VPs.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2022, 08:47:31 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

Kanye
Kyrie
Black Hebrew Israelites

Anti-Semitism wasn’t central to Malcolm X’s ideology in the same way it is to Farrakhan or the Black Hebrew Israelites, but he certainly was an anti-Semite.  Perhaps you’re correct about derailing the discussion, however.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/blm-should-look-to-martin-luther-king-not-malcolm-x-for-inspiration/

Yeah, there's a lot of good you can take away from Malcolm X, and whilst he was both an important historical figure as well as a fairly flawed guy, he wasn't trafficking in the alternate reality and beliefs that the 5 Percenters, BHI, and other groups like that do.

That said - just like I'm not going to throw out my Wu Tang or Roots records - as far as Jaylen and Kyrie and Kanye are concerned, I don't really care if they buy into the rhetoric itself. For all intents and purposes, it's not particularly different from any other religious group and affiliation. You want to believe the Earth was created in 7 days? Fine. You want to believe black folks are literal gods? Fine. Doesn't matter to me.

But, just like all sorts of other situations and circumstances, when whatever your religious beliefs are cross into something that actively damages other people by promoting hateful speech and thought, we all ought to call BS on it where we can, whenever we can.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2022, 02:00:10 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
I am getting a bit tired of Jaylen. I think his stance on these issues are becoming clear with each passing day and sadly his side is sickening.

Starting with Kayne, he stood by his side until their was national backlash that essentially forced his hand to withdraw from Donda.

Now the constant Kyrie support, into last nights sickening tweet. He's a smart man, he knew who that group was especially if they had affiliation with Kyrie (and likely Kayne as well).

I love Jaylen as a player, but as a person he is making me sick. It's a tough situation because the Celtics hands are tied here, we are a legit title contender. We get rid of Jaylen our window is closed, and who knows the backlash going against him would cause across the NBA.

I also feel like Jaylen is one tweet away from suffering a similar fate that Kyrie just had in the eyes of the national media. If I was Stevens and the owners i'd pull him into the room and tell him to zip it, and if the media calls for his head they'll be forced to suspend him just like Kyrie.. and he can kiss his all NBA bid goodbye.

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2022, 02:20:01 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I kind of think this Jaylen stuff is getting a bit overblown.

So far:

-Jaylen denounced "hate speech" while saying he wouldn't leave Donda, essentially because he thought it did good work in the community and he liked kids at donda academy. People think he should go farther.
-Jaylen leaves Donda and denounced antisemitism, while saying he hopes to continue helping that community. People say it should have been faster
-Jaylen stands up for kids he thinks are being caught up in the Kanye fiasco.
-Jaylen pushes back against Kyrie's suspension, isn't sure league has right to do that.
-Jaylen expresses disgust at hypocrisy of Nike and joe Tsai.
-Jaylen see's what he thinks is the black community supporting Kyrie, wants to show his support as well. Realizes the group was a hate group, says he doesn't support that.

The only thing i have any particular problem with out of all this is he should have apologized for the latest tweet, even assuming he didn't know who the group was initially. Just saying "i didn't know" is a bit weak, because even if you didn't you can still acknowledge unintentional harm by apologizing. The tweet should also be removed.

I guess my thing is this: I don't equate support for Kyrie with support for what Kyrie did, or support for anti-Semitism. Its possible Jaylen Brown is a horrible racist, there's been a lot of silence on this issue from the NBA in general. But this sort of feels more like a guy circling the wagons and making an unwise (though understandable) choice to ally himself with his group (ie black Americans) even when members of that group are in the wrong. The same way some Celtics fans defended Ime Udoka, or some patriots' fans will go to their grave insisting the pats never cheated.

Does that make Jaylen somewhat hypocritical: Yes. Does it make him a racist: No, not in my opinion. We all tend to care with, and ally ourselves more closely with our own "group."
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 02:44:31 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2022, 02:49:44 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

So far:

-Jaylen denounced "hate speech" while saying he wouldn't leave Donda, essentially because he thought it did good work in the community and he liked kids at donda academy. People think he should go farther.
-Jaylen leaves Donda and denounced antisemitism, while saying he hopes to continue helping that community. People say it should have been faster
-Jaylen pushes back against Kyrie's suspension, isn't sure league has right to do that.
-Jaylen see's what he thinks is the black community supporting Kyrie, wants to show his support as well. Realizes the group was a hate group, says he doesn't support that.

I think you have to add his several tweets that seem to support an anti-vax mindset that are also adding fuel to this fire.

So it's not just that he's supporting Kyrie (and Kanye), it's that its looking more and more like he thinks the same way they do. Or at least more than people would like to admit.

There's a quip that has popped up recently, will probably see it in any comment section on news regarding some of Jaylen's questionable choices, "Jaylen Brown is Kyrie with better PR."

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2022, 02:51:45 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

So far:

I think you have to add his several tweets that seem to support an anti-vax mindset that are also adding fuel to this fire.

So it's not just that he's supporting Kyrie (and Kanye), it's that its looking more and more like he thinks the same way they do. Or at least more than people would like to admit.

There's a quip that has popped up recently, will probably see it in any comment section on news regarding some of Jaylen's questionable choices, "Jaylen Brown is Kyrie with better PR."

Yeah, I've seen him nicknamed "Diet Kyrie" on another message board.

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2022, 02:54:02 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

So far:

Yeah, I've seen him nicknamed "Diet Kyrie" on another message board.

He may very well be. We'll see where all this goes, I suspect the situation is not yet over. Even if it is some other NBA player will eventually say something stupid/racist and this will all be revisited. I'm just not comfortable labeling a guy by association. But I reserve the right to change my mind if he does something awful.

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2022, 02:59:08 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

So far:

Yeah, I think Jaylen’s been pushing the envelope lately on Twitter.  While it’s true that Omega Psi Phi has a color scheme that looked very similar, it took me all of 10 seconds when I clicked through that tweet yesterday to figure out what group it was, and Omega Psi Phi was not what I arrived at.

His intellectual curiosity has been leading him to promoters of some extreme viewpoints, at a minimum.  Whether he shares those views or not may still be up for debate, but he runs a real risk of that getting in the way of the good he’s done both on and off the court.

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2022, 03:02:31 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2022, 03:26:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35076803/jaylen-brown-endorse-barclays-center-protestors

Why is Jaylen "proud" of "his community" showing support for Kyrie, anyway?

What is there to be proud of?  That an anti-Semite forcibly apologized after initially saying he wouldn't? 

Brown said he simply wanted to promote "Brown and Black people standing together on our issues rather than seeing images of violence in our media, music and movies that we don't entirely promote or profit from."

He's a faux intellectual who just regurgitates stuff that makes no sense in context.  The "issue" for brown and black people is...  Kyrie's anti-Semitism?  And that's related to images of violence, how?  And, if the black and brown people were promoting or profiting from the violence (which they do), does that make it better?  And hey, it's left unsaid, but we all know who controls the media and the music/movie industries, right?  Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

^ Jaylen, if he had a degree and didn't hate white people.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 03:57:09 PM by Roy H. »

Re: Jaylen and his Anti-Semitic Friends (split)
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2022, 03:58:40 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It'll be interesting to see how long the Cs organization puts up with this. They ousted their championship level coach pretty quickly based on ethical issues and Jaylen is certainly making a little too much noise to just ignore with his latest tweets.

If this continues, do we trade him? Will he be a desirable asset or will he wade too far into Kyrie territory? Also, what if Boston fans and media keep hammering him? He certainly may want to move on after his contract. Like, honestly, this is looking like a repeat of Kyrie in Boston. We all convinced ourselves that he would stay and that we shouldn't trade him, and then all of a sudden, he leaves. We just cannot afford to lose Jaylen for nothing, so who would you accept as a return for Jaylen?