Author Topic: Shams - Atlanta looking to move John Collins  (Read 2116 times)

Shams - Atlanta looking to move John Collins
« on: November 18, 2022, 05:33:49 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
I have to admit.  Collins has always been a guy I've wanted on the C's.  I think he'd pair so well next to Rob an would allow Al to go to the bench.  I just think his game translates very well with the way the C's spread the ball.  With the guard depth would you move Derrick White or Brogdon in a package for him?  White and Grant?  It lowers the salary for next year with Grant leaving and fills that big spot with a much better player.  PP can move into the DWhite role.  Al gets the backup big minutes and if they resign him for 2-3 years at 12 per year.  I'm sure Atlanta will get better options or a 3 team deal with other assets going to Atlanta would work as well.  I just think a starting 5 of Smart, JB, JT, Collins and Rob with a bench of PP, Brogdon, Al, Hauser as you top 9 would be the absolute best in the league.  I love DWhite and he's great insurance when Smart and Brogdon miss games but Id much prefer Collins, Rob and Al to Rob, Al and Grant.

The Athletic's Shams Charania reports that the Hawks have begun to engage in trade talks centered around John Collins.

In the second year of a five-year, $125 million contract, Collins is an expensive player, but as an elite stretch big who can play defense and shoot threes, his services will be coveted by rival teams. Shams notes the Suns as a potentially interested party, and a player with Collins' skill set would fit well with Phoenix's current roster. Any trade for Collins would likely not be done until closer to the February trade deadline, but for now, Atlanta is doing its due dilligence.

SOURCE: Shams Charania of The Athletic
Nov 18, 2022, 10:54 AM ET

Re: Shams - Atlanta looking to move John Collins
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 06:58:46 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1242
I like Collins but the asking price might be too steep? The article mentioned Phoenix as a potential suitor. A Collins for Ayton swap would be ideal for both teams I think.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 07:03:53 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Not sure why we would be interested. Team is looking good and his salary is an albatross.

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 07:15:11 PM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1381
Looking at the Hawks Reddit they hate him now because he’s shooting less than 30% from 3 and loses the ball a lot on drives, and gets paid a lot. Right now he’s essentially a lob threat on O and a multi position defender on D which Timelord gives us for $10m.  To match his $23m you would have to trade Al straight up which I don’t know if Atlanta would go for or White, GWill and Pritchard. Atlanta would love that  :police:

I feel like players always look good being added to a stacked team like ours till you have to decide who to give up for them  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2022, 07:20:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I used to like Collins, but from about the halfway point through the 2020-21 season until now, I have soured on him. He seems to have regressed a bit in that time and every time I watch him play, I don't see a guy that shows up enough, gives enough effort or impacts the game the way he and his stats say he should.

Though he has better stats than either Horford or Grant Williams, I contend both Celtic PFs are overall more impactful players towards winning basketball.

Let Phoenix have him.

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2022, 07:26:11 PM »

Offline bricone29

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
Let's wait until the Celtics are on at least a 10 game winning streak before we start to trade our current players.

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 09:35:14 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2973
Meh

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 10:04:34 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I just watched him play the other night and instead of looking like a $125M player he looked like a $2M player.  Why would I want that?

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 10:21:31 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
If I was PHO, I would not do this trade but how about:

Ayton and Crowder
for
     Collins and Capela

I don't know the status of the relationship with Ayton and PHO.  The only reason that PHO would do this was if there are still major issues. 

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2022, 10:55:26 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Collins was great when he was on PEDs. He hasn't been the same since being off them. No energy, limited bounce and less confidence in his game.

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2022, 10:56:09 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Yeah, let's trade a player at the top of his value (White) and a promising forward (G-Will) for an expensive player who is not even an all-star. We have too much depth anyway.

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2022, 11:28:27 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Why is Collins perpetually on the trading block?

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2022, 11:36:42 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Got best record in league, we actually don’t need a starter.. maybe a  cheap vet SG
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2022, 12:42:33 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Why is Collins perpetually on the trading block?
Probably because he is good player but:

His best use is as a high usage offensive player, but is ATL 3rd best offensive player (at best)
He is a poor defender whose best defensive position is center (even though he's listed as a PF) and is positionally redundant with Capella and Okongwu

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2022, 01:06:08 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I used to like Collins, but from about the halfway point through the 2020-21 season until now, I have soured on him. He seems to have regressed a bit in that time and every time I watch him play, I don't see a guy that shows up enough, gives enough effort or impacts the game the way he and his stats say he should.

Though he has better stats than either Horford or Grant Williams, I contend both Celtic PFs are overall more impactful players towards winning basketball.

Let Phoenix have him.

We are thin with real bigs and Al is 36, so the team will have to make a move at some point. It seems like the only major move the team needs to make for 3-4 years, assuming the team can keep its players happy, which is going reasonably well so far.

I would say the traits the team needs are to get something reasonably close to the defensive flexibility Horford provides, to get someone who shows up competitively, and to be a good teammate.

It would be nice to get a player with some of the offensive intangibles that Horford can provide, or bring some other advanced offensive skills to the table, but this group does not need that to win.

With this group, a third volume scorer would cause shot distribution problems. We have two stars putting up big numbers, but the rest of the rotation is getting touches and shots, and it is producing big results.

Collins is probably not the right guy.