Author Topic: Media speculation about the Celtics wanting Poeltl  (Read 3760 times)

Re: Media speculation about the Celtics wanting Poeltl
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2022, 04:53:24 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
If the Spurs wanted to check out a couple of our young players this works:

Grant, Pritchard, and Vonleh for Poeltl works in the trade machine.

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2022, 04:57:08 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Why for us?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2022, 05:07:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Why for us?
Yeah, I don't get this proposal either. Grant and Pritchard might help SA win games. They won't want that.

And why? To save a pick that might end up in the 29-30 area? Send them out trash and a pick at the deadline. Gallo, Kornet and a #1 should get it done, even if you divert Gallo elsewhere.

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2022, 05:54:49 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I don't think either team would want this.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2022, 05:58:05 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

Yeah, I'd be hesitant to give up another 1st. Not because I don't want to improve the team, but because it would have to our 2024 pick, and it would really limit us on actually upgrading our roster in the future. Poetl is decent, but not all-in good.

Can't trade the 24 pick until after the draft because they traded the 23 pick already. It'd have to be the 25 pick for Poeltl, and that leaves you with 2027 as the next available first if Poeltl winds up a rental.

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2022, 06:24:56 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Why for us?
Yeah, I don't get this proposal either. Grant and Pritchard might help SA win games. They won't want that.

And why? To save a pick that might end up in the 29-30 area? Send them out trash and a pick at the deadline. Gallo, Kornet and a #1 should get it done, even if you divert Gallo elsewhere.

If you really want Poeltl... This trade works in trade machine.  I'd rather stand pat with the team we have.

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2022, 06:25:55 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I don't think either team would want this.

I didn't say either team would want it just that it would work in trade machine.

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2022, 01:13:55 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Pritchard + Kornet + Vonleh + Jackson + #1

We could also take back minimum salary players from San Antonio in the deal, like Gorgui Deng.

That deal pushes us over the top, particularly if we get a buyout guard afterward. We need that big depth because we’ve got Smart, Brogdon and White who can all play the 1/2, and obviously JB starts at the two. Plus, I don’t wanna do Gallo wrong by moving him to a third team to bring in Poetl, but maybe not a bad idea if we can retain Pritchard.

The 2025 1st is worth trading if the return is Banner 18, even if Poetl walks. So sick of people overrating late first-rounders. Had we dealt Kyrie and a 1st for Kawhi, we would already have Banner 18 instead of Toronto with a title.

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2022, 10:40:40 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
The 2025 1st is worth trading if the return is Banner 18, even if Poetl walks. So sick of people overrating late first-rounders. Had we dealt Kyrie and a 1st for Kawhi, we would already have Banner 18 instead of Toronto with a title.

It's not so much about overvaluing late first rounders as it is leaving yourself with no first round picks to trade until 2027, and Poeltl isn't the type of player who guarantees you a championship.

One of the things that makes Boston interesting is that this summer they can make what's basically a full-boat offer of draft picks if a fringe star on a rebuilding team comes available while most of the other contenders owe picks out into the future. Stevens has done an excellent job of adding Horford, White, and Brogdon all for "this years' first" for three drafts in a row, all while keeping the future relatively clean. Unless you genuinely believe that Poeltl guarantees a title, it'd be hard for me to take Boston out of the conversation for much better players when you can likely get a workable center for Pritchard and seconds.

Also, for what it's worth, I recall the Kawhi package being Jaylen, Smart, and a first or two. Given that all the locker room problems would have still been there and that Kawhi isn't exactly a take-over-the-locker-room type, I don't lose any sleep over passing on that deal. Likeliest scenario there is that Philly or Milwaukee win the title that season and Boston's in a much worse spot going forward.

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2022, 11:03:46 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

We could also take back minimum salary players from San Antonio in the deal, like Gorgui Deng.

That deal pushes us over the top, particularly if we get a buyout guard afterward. We need that big depth because we’ve got Smart, Brogdon and White who can all play the 1/2, and obviously JB starts at the two. Plus, I don’t wanna do Gallo wrong by moving him to a third team to bring in Poetl, but maybe not a bad idea if we can retain Pritchard.

I don't think Kawhi Raptors win a title if KD and Klay werent injured in the Finals

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2022, 11:09:22 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I don't think Kawhi Raptors win a title if KD and Klay werent injured in the Finals

That entire roster seemed to get injured in 2019.  Curry, Iggy, Boogie, Looney.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2022, 11:55:57 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I have no interest in Poeltl given cost of another first round pick. Frankly Pritchard and Kornet have more value to this team than Poeltl. Once Rob comes back Poeltl would be back up and leave in FA.

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2022, 12:08:00 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I like our team as is.  This trade is entirely based on injury insurance for Rob.  If we're this concerned about Rob not being healthy in the postseason, and that confident that Poeltl would be a good enough fit on our team in Rob's absence to help us contend for a title, then I think we should probably just try to move Rob in the deal instead of Pritchard + picks.  I'd rather just keep the guys we have though.

Making a trade when you have the best record in the league despite not having your starting center just doesn't seem smart to me.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2022, 12:29:51 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Maybe. But as the old NBA saying goes, "That's why they play the games." You don't play on paper (or in fan forums, just sayin), you play on the court.

Durant's injury history (a long list, not just the catastrophic Achilles' tendon tear) surely played a big part in what was offered in the trade proposals for him over the summer - presumably including any that the Celtics might have made.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2022, 02:17:04 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
If we traded for Poeltl, would we have his Bird rights?

I don’t think playing time would be much of an issue.  The Celtics will need to manage Williams playing time when he’s back playing.  If you limit him to 25 minutes per game and sit him on back to backs, there will be plenty of time for Poeltl.

Pritchard was only playing in garbage time before Brogdon was hurt.  If we were in the playoffs, I don’t think Pritchard would be playing much at all.