Author Topic: 2022 FIFA World Cup Official Thread  (Read 34755 times)

Re: 2022 FIFA World Cup Official Thread
« Reply #195 on: December 03, 2022, 11:46:07 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
SMH THIS DEFENSE IS ATROCIOUS. EVERY CROSS IS AN EASY NETHERLANDS GOAL FROM A GUY UNMARKED

Also can someone explain to me why Aaronson and Reyna never started any WC games? And Reyna in particular barely played outside of the one full half today. What's the logic with that?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #196 on: December 03, 2022, 11:53:05 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
SMH THIS DEFENSE IS ATROCIOUS. EVERY CROSS IS AN EASY NETHERLANDS GOAL FROM A GUY UNMARKED

Also can someone explain to me why Aaronson and Reyna never started any WC games? And Reyna in particular barely played outside of the one full half today. What's the logic with that?

Good question  :angel: With Aaronson I think they went with Weah instead, but not sure why Reyna was never selected.

I felt like we gave a good account of ourselves, just couldn't convert our chances while the Dutch did. It's really a lesson in taking chances. We had the bulk of possession, I think we created more chances, but the Dutch were just too clinical. That's what you need to do at the top level, and our guys need to learn that. Pulisic had a sitter early, so did Wright in the 2nd half (at least he made up for his miss). But three lapses defensively from us were all punished

Game over...the adventure comes to an end. But they will be better in 2026 at home  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #197 on: December 03, 2022, 11:57:45 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Good question  :angel: With Aaronson I think they went with Weah instead, but not sure why Reyna was never selected.

I felt like we gave a good account of ourselves, just couldn't convert our chances while the Dutch did. It's really a lesson in taking chances. We had the bulk of possession, I think we created more chances, but the Dutch were just too clinical. That's what you need to do at the top level, and our guys need to learn that. Pulisic had a sitter early, so did Wright in the 2nd half (at least he made up for his miss). But three lapses defensively from us were all punished

Game over...the adventure comes to an end. But they will be better in 2026 at home  :police:

Yep. I'm still proud of the team and they certainly showed progress, plus they are still a young group (2nd youngest in the whole tournament) so they'll grow from this.

At the end of the day though, it just comes down to converting the chances like you said. In the 4 games, U.S. scored a total of 3 goals only. But they had SO MANY chances in all the games (except maybe England where they seemed content for a draw) and in games like today they controlled possession too. The U.S. sorely need a striker who could put away some balls in net. They missed that in this tournament.

Excited for 2026 though. U.S. is already in that due to hosting, and that could be a big World Cup not just for the team but also the country as soccer tries to grow in the nation  ;D

« Reply #198 on: December 03, 2022, 12:03:57 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Yep. I'm still proud of the team and they certainly showed progress, plus they are still a young group (2nd youngest in the whole tournament) so they'll grow from this.

At the end of the day though, it just comes down to converting the chances like you said. In the 4 games, U.S. scored a total of 3 goals only. But they had SO MANY chances in all the games (except maybe England where they seemed content for a draw) and in games like today they controlled possession too. The U.S. sorely need a striker who could put away some balls in net. They missed that in this tournament.

Excited for 2026 though. U.S. is already in that due to hosting, and that could be a big World Cup not just for the team but also the country as soccer tries to grow in the nation  ;D

We just need that reliable goalscorer that can put away chances and crosses into the box. We have good young creators like Pulisic and Reyna, we have industrious guys like Aaronson and Weah, but we don't have clinical finishers. Maybe we can find an Erling Haaland or a Robert Lewanowski somewhere in the American Midwest  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #199 on: December 03, 2022, 12:06:31 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
Other than a brief stretch in the middle of the first half , the US played really well. Young teams make mistakes, and several of those cost them, especially the goal late in the first half. They put a ton of pressure on the Dutch and had plenty of chances. I expect them to be a tough out in the next world cup.

« Reply #200 on: December 03, 2022, 12:16:06 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Wonder what it would have been like if Pulisic buried that chance on the opening moments of the game.

Overall, solid tournament. The young guns got some run, they advanced to the 2nd round, and had an overall positive experience. 4 games, just 1 loss.

4 years to prep now for 2026. A lot of these guys will be in their primes by then so hoping they continue to play and advance at their respective club teams until then.

« Reply #201 on: December 03, 2022, 12:20:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
The US needs to find a top level scorer. It was a real problem all tournament. Dutch have 3 top level scorers and it showed immensely.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #202 on: December 03, 2022, 12:28:36 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
I’m not a soccer fan and though my heart got pumping a few times during the game, I can’t see ever becoming a fan.  I happened to tune in about 20 minutes prior to the  American goal and then the 3rd Dutch goal.  But generally there is way too much back and forth with nothing really happening.
 I tend to have minimal reliable rooting interest in international events. I’m not sure why. I enjoy when Americans show great talent and intriguing personalities but also enjoy watching people from other countries show their abilities. I get excited by American performances, but I get excited by people from other countries as well — and I end up rooting for whoever captures my interest. Been this way since I can remember.  Watching The Netherlands and USA teams today was the first time I’d seen either team play.  I thought both sides were great and ended not really rooting for one over the other.  Strange I guess. 

« Reply #203 on: December 03, 2022, 12:42:24 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2409
Bummer. I got my days wrong. I thought it was Poland vs France today. Dang it.

I really wanted to see that USA vs Holland game.

« Reply #204 on: December 03, 2022, 01:29:41 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
The US needs to find a top level scorer. It was a real problem all tournament. Dutch have 3 top level scorers and it showed immensely.
Hope that Dike or Pepi make a jump the next few years.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 01:35:55 PM by PAOBoston »

« Reply #205 on: December 03, 2022, 01:38:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Taylor Twellman also tweeted that apparently in the U.S. roster of 26, they had just 3 forwards

Umm...  :-\

« Reply #206 on: December 03, 2022, 01:47:28 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

We just need that reliable goalscorer that can put away chances and crosses into the box. We have good young creators like Pulisic and Reyna, we have industrious guys like Aaronson and Weah, but we don't have clinical finishers. Maybe we can find an Erling Haaland or a Robert Lewanowski somewhere in the American Midwest  :angel:

As a casual soccer watcher, it seemed to me the US many times worked the ball up the field very slowly and methodically, and kept the same style once they got closer to the goal. The defense found it easy to get organized nad pack the middle, then intercept any crosses the US tried. Most of the crosses didn't seem very good; the ball would go into a crowd, rarely in a good spot for an attack. So many passes went off target or straight to a netherlands player. I thought they could use a setup guy, somebody who could disorganize a defense by getting past a defender or two to cause them to scramble. Dest and Weah seemed able to do a little of that, so I wanted them to get the ball more often. But it wasn't often enough, and the guys on the left really seemed to be very straight-line players. Easy to defend against.

« Reply #207 on: December 03, 2022, 02:00:17 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Hope that Dike or Pepi make a jump the next few years.

Pepi is playing in Groningen (a city where I studied). He seems to be a real goalscorer.
And here we were surprised that he wasn't selected for the USA squad.

« Reply #208 on: December 03, 2022, 03:03:54 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Happy Argentina got an early goal. I was worried this would be a 0-0 80mins into the game where Argentina desperately try to pass their way through a 10 man defense while Australia looks to steal a goal on the counter.

Now Australia will have to go for it and we can have an open game. Hopefully leading to a good 2nd half.

« Reply #209 on: December 03, 2022, 03:09:52 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
That was some great pressing by Australia. And even better by Argentina to break the pass and create a breakaway attack.