Author Topic: 2022 FIFA World Cup Official Thread  (Read 34509 times)

Re: 2022 FIFA World Cup Official Thread
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2022, 04:04:07 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wow.

You can breath now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2022, 04:05:20 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Let’s hope Pulisic is healthy by Saturday
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #122 on: November 29, 2022, 04:06:00 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Wow.

You can breath now.

Not gonna lie that last 10 min of stoppage time was nerve wracking I chewed all my fingernails away  :angel:

« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2022, 04:07:23 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Yeah that was a nervy ending, both squads looked really gassed at the end.
US holds on!

« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2022, 04:10:27 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Nerve-wracking ending! Especially when the ball slipped past the American goalie. Phew!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2022, 04:15:32 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
If he's not Gio Reyna likely plays. Different style but he's really good.  We've got depth at every position except striker.

« Reply #126 on: November 29, 2022, 04:19:12 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
Tim Ream is a great story. He was on the outside looking in through qualifying - probably never to return to the National Team player pool because he's 35.  But he's been awesome playing for Fulham the last 2 seasons alongside Antonee Robinson and Berhalter had no choice but to include him.   He's become the anchor of our defense and he's not afraid of playing against world class strikers.

« Reply #127 on: November 29, 2022, 04:30:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
OMG WHAT A GAME.

Most of that 2nd half + stoppage time were very nerve-wracking. But so glad we got the win and are advancing to the knockout round!  ;D

Our department plays all the WC games and just like for the Wales game, almost all of us sat to watch the game haha. Very fun (and nerve-wracking). The games are all playing and we watch when we have time or feel like it, but we also have some co-workers from other countries so we follow those too (Germany, Australia, Spain, etc.). Next up? Probably a "watch party" for Australia tomorrow then Germany Thursday lol
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #128 on: November 29, 2022, 04:31:44 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
If he's not Gio Reyna likely plays. Different style but he's really good.  We've got depth at every position except striker.

I feel like if Gio was going to play it would have been in the 2nd half today. Berhalter doesn’t seem to be sold on Gio for whatever reason. I think Aaronson will replace him on the wing.

It will be a loss to be sure though if he misses the game…apparently he was taken to the hospital for an abdominal injury…which is usually a way to say he got kicked in the nuts. That’s what he was grabbing at when he was writhing on the ground. I thought it was a groin but they would have said groin injury if he had done that wouldn’t they?

« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2022, 04:33:10 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Nerve-wracking ending! Especially when the ball slipped past the American goalie. Phew!

And when they screamed for a penalty, and Carter Vickers had his hand on the guys shoulder and he went down like he’d been hit by Tyson Fury  :angel:

« Reply #130 on: November 29, 2022, 04:48:56 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
So for the soccer experts here, what are our chances against the Netherlands on Saturday?

« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2022, 05:01:54 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald

I feel like if Gio was going to play it would have been in the 2nd half today. Berhalter doesn’t seem to be sold on Gio for whatever reason. I think Aaronson will replace him on the wing.

It will be a loss to be sure though if he misses the game…apparently he was taken to the hospital for an abdominal injury…which is usually a way to say he got kicked in the nuts. That’s what he was grabbing at when he was writhing on the ground. I thought it was a groin but they would have said groin injury if he had done that wouldn’t they?
Don't forgot they had a lead and Aaronson is the kind of pain in the neck player who's really good in that situation. I think if it was tied, Reyna may have gotten the nod. I think who plays vs Netherlands depends on how Berhalter wants to approach it. If the first objective is keeping the ball out of the net, it's probably Aaronson. I just think that with the trouble we have scoring, go offense. I'd rather lose 2-1 than have it be 0-0 and lose on penalties.

« Reply #132 on: November 29, 2022, 05:02:16 PM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
Im Dutch so obviously rooting for The Netherlands! But USA has a chance, although winning the group we have played atrocious football. NL is a country were just winning isnt enough it needs to be done with attractive play.

NL hasn’t lost in a long time but seems like all players are tired and just not in form. So normally speaking an easy win for NL as we have better players on most positions but given current form I give USA a chance. Happy usa made it to the knock out.

By the way, lets go celtics!!

« Reply #133 on: November 29, 2022, 05:15:53 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
So for the soccer experts here, what are our chances against the Netherlands on Saturday?
I think on our day we can beat anyone except for France or Brazil. That said I'm sure the Netherlands will be favored.

I'm trying to think of an NBA equivalent for us - maybe Cleveland last year?  There are some guys on our team who may be in line for some big time contracts from top European teams but that'll come in the summer or maybe a year or 2 down the road.

We've never had this kind of talent - though unfortnately we don't have a good striker which will be a problem vs good teams. That play were Hadji Wright kind of walked in, got off a weak shot and the keeper stopped it easily...the Harry Kane's of the world bury that like 8 times out of 10.

« Reply #134 on: November 29, 2022, 05:18:23 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

And when they screamed for a penalty, and Carter Vickers had his hand on the guys shoulder and he went down like he’d been hit by Tyson Fury  :angel:

So glad the refs didn't buy that!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis