Author Topic: 2022 FIFA World Cup Official Thread  (Read 34272 times)

Re: 2022 FIFA World Cup Official Thread
« Reply #105 on: November 27, 2022, 11:50:06 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Croatia with 2 quick scores, now 2-1 Croatia

This has been a great game too
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #106 on: November 27, 2022, 12:57:52 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Croatia with 2 quick scores, now 2-1 Croatia

This has been a great game too

Canada has been eliminated losing 4-1 after being ahead 1-0 after 1 min, just too fragile at the back
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #107 on: November 27, 2022, 02:42:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Gnabry is one of the most frustrating wingers to watch play for me. Squanders so much
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #108 on: November 27, 2022, 04:23:32 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Belgium gonna lose 2-0 to Morocco…Wow
Kevin De Bruyne I guess was quoted as saying Belgium has no chance in the WC because they're too old. Someone apparently needs to clue in Martinez. They've got a defender on the bench name Wout Faes who's 24 and has helped Leicester City turn their season around. The kid is a stud, yet Martinez insists on playing Vertonghen who's 9000 years old.

No matter the sport, some coaches can't get past their own biases.

« Reply #109 on: November 27, 2022, 04:48:26 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Friend and co-worker who is a Germany fan/native with a lot of family there too is happy with the results today from her team's group (Japan-Costa Rica, Germany-Spain).

Exciting week coming up. Our department has all the World Cup games playing during the week anyways but I imagine there'll be "watch parties" with almost everyone watching Tuesday and Thursday for the U.S. and Germany games haha  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #110 on: November 27, 2022, 07:11:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Thought Canada had a shot to advance before the tournament, but they join Qatar as the only 2 teams (thus far) that are eliminated.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #111 on: November 28, 2022, 07:38:51 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The US Soccer Federation briefly displayed Iran's national flag on social media without the emblem of the Islamic Republic, saying the move supports protesters in Iran ahead of the two nations' World Cup match Tuesday in Qatar.

Iran's government reacted by accusing US Soccer of removing the name of God from their national flag, and the Iranian football federation said their country will lodge a complaint with FIFA over the scrubbing of the Islamic Republic emblem.

"Measures taken regarding the Islamic Republic of [the] Iran flag are against international law and morality, and we'll pursue this through FIFA's morality committee," said legal adviser to the Iranian Football Federation Safia Allah Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.hanpour. "They must be held responsible. Obviously they want to affect Iran's performance against the US by doing this.''

Iran state-affiliated media Tasnim said on Sunday that the US should be kicked out of the World Cup for racism after removing the Islamic republic emblem from Iran's team flag.

"By posting a distorted image of the flag of the Islamic Republic of #Iran on its official account, the #US football team breached the @FIFAcom charter, for which a 10-game suspension is the appropriate penalty," the state-affiliated agency Tasnim said in its English-language Twitter account on Sunday. "Team #USA should be kicked out of the #WorldCup2022"

The legal adviser to the Iran Football Federation called for FIFA to take action.

"Measures taken regarding the Islamic Republic of [the] Iran flag are against international law and morality, and we'll pursue this through FIFA's morality committee," said Safia Allah Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.hanpour. "They must be held responsible. Obviously they want to affect Iran's performance against the US by doing this."

Tasnim also tweeted the FIFA statute on Sunday in the call to action.

"According to section 13 of #FIFA rules, any person who offends the dignity or integrity of a country, a person or group of people ... shall be sanctioned with a suspension lasting at least ten matches or a specific period, or any other appropriate disciplinary measure," it said.

The decision by the US Soccer Federation to scrub the emblem adds yet another political firestorm to the Middle East's first World Cup, one which organisers had hoped would be spared of off-the-field controversies.

It also comes as the US face Iran in a decisive World Cup match, which was already freighted by the decades of enmity between the two countries and the nationwide protests now challenging Tehran's theocratic government.

The USSF said in a statement Sunday morning that it decided to forgo the official flag on social media accounts to show "support for the women in Iran fighting for basic human rights.''

The Twitter account of the US men's team displayed a banner with the squad's matches in the group stage, with the Iranian flag bearing only its green, white and red colors. The same could be seen in a post on the team's Facebook and Instagram accounts laying out the point totals so far in its group.

By Sunday afternoon, the normal flag with the emblem had been restored in the Twitter banner as attention to it grew.

"We wanted to show our support for the women in Iran with our graphic for 24 hours,'' the federation said.

I've never liked using international competitions as political platforms.  Protestors in Iran need support, but the USMNT isn't the entity to be pushing it on the eve of a World Cup match.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #112 on: November 29, 2022, 08:59:51 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Today's game should be a huge one. Unfortunately I have taken too many days off already for WC so I have to be at work but I do have a zoom call during the game. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it's the kind that I can turn off the camera and just listen.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2022, 12:55:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
No surprise, the Dutch win Group A with an easy win over Qatar.  Senegal ends up advancing with a hard fought 2-1 victory over Ecuador.  Senegal went up 1-0 on a PK just before halftime.  Ecuador equalized in the 67th minute only for Senegal to re-take the lead a few minutes later. 

« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2022, 01:26:57 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
Excited for the USA-Iran game, win or go home!!!

« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2022, 02:43:22 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
Goal US!! From pulisic but he looks to be injured

« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2022, 02:44:46 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
I thought Pulisic had ripped his groin the way he looked but he’s going to give it a go

« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2022, 03:01:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Wales and England at 0-0 at the half.  If Wales can pull this out and the US holds its lead, the US would win the group.  Much rather play Senegal than Netherlands.

« Reply #118 on: November 29, 2022, 03:11:06 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
Pulisic subbed out after a heavy collision with the keeper when scoring the goal. I hope he hasn't done his groin or his thigh, we need him  :-\

« Reply #119 on: November 29, 2022, 04:03:54 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
Full time USA win 1-0!

We play Holland on sat night, since England beat Wales 3-0