Author Topic: NBA Season 2022-23  (Read 291397 times)

Re: NBA Season 2022-23
« Reply #705 on: November 21, 2022, 05:57:30 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Only on Celticsblog that people are considering trading an All Star. As long as his off court "issues" aren't affecting the team, I could care less what he does.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 06:20:44 PM by Rondo9 »

« Reply #706 on: November 21, 2022, 06:35:13 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Lakers looking pretty interesting the last 3 games. They blew out the Spurs tonight. AD with 30/18 and definitely a force when healthy. I hope we don't draw this typa Lakers team in December, but get their sloppy typa team instead
Beat a Net team with no Kyrie, beat bad Pistons & Spurs team.. not impressed

The main thing that these last 3 games indicate is that Anthony Davis is healthy right now.  When Anthony Davis is healthy, he is one of the top players in the game (at least that has always been the case in the past).  I don't know how long Davis will hold up but so long as he does, I would take the Lakers a little more seriously than just discounting them for beating the Spurs (without LeBron).  In the end, Davis may not hold up.  It has been several seasons since he has played anything close to a full season.  And without a healthy Davis, I am not that worried about the Lakers.

People seem to jump on the idea that the Lakers are dysfunctional and all that.  There is obviously some truth to that.  But I predict that if Davis is healthy, and LeBron is healthy (two big IFs), that the Lakers will become a whole lot more functional very quickly.  Westbrook, LeBron, and Davis played only 21 games together last season.  That is 61 games where one or more were injured and/or banged up, not 100%.  The Lakers may not ever be "healthy", I just think this dysfunction will go away quickly if they do get healthy.
It shows Davis is healthy but I think he also feels a lot more responsibility to perform well with Lebron out.  I think he has been content to hide in Lebron's shadow for the last couple of seasons.

« Reply #707 on: November 21, 2022, 11:00:40 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Warriors lost to the Pels by 45. Talk about an implosion. Wow…
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #708 on: November 21, 2022, 11:02:42 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Warriors lost to the Pels by 45. Talk about an implosion. Wow…

GSWs all in on Wembanyama

« Reply #709 on: November 21, 2022, 11:25:31 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Really early, but for fun I've already made my All Star selections.

WEST
Luka Doncic (Dallas Mavericks), Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors), Nikola Jokic (Denver Nuggets), Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (Oklahoma City Thunder), Ja Morant (Memphis Grizzlies), Devin Booker (Phoenix Suns), De'Aaron Fox (Sacramento Kings), Anthony Davis (Los Angeles Lakers), Paul George (Los Angeles Clippers), Desmond Bane (Memphis Grizzlies), Domantas Sabonis (Sacramento Kings), Lauri Markkanen (Utah Jazz)

EAST
Jayson Tatum (Boston Celtics), Joel Embiid (Philadelphia 76ers), Donovan Mitchell (Cleveland Cavaliers), Giannis Antetokounmpo (Milwaukee Bucks), Kevin Durant (Brooklyn Nets), Pascal Siakam (Toronto Raptors), Tyrese Haliburton (Indiana Pacers), James Harden (Philadelphia 76ers), Kristaps Porzingis (Washington Wizards), Jimmy Butler (Miami Heat), Brook Lopez (Milwaukee Bucks), Dejounte Murray (Atlanta Hawks)

You’re missing a guy who’s putting up 25/7 for the team with the best record in the league.

Yeah noway a top 3 team in the conference just get a single all-star when 2nd player is playing that well and healthy. I dont think anyone will put Harden and Lopez in over Brown.

I just did.

You did, and it's a major fail.
Yeah, Jaylen is deserving over about a half dozen guys in the East listed there. Heck, JB gets an All-NBA nod this year if he continues this play and the C's end up as the league's best team.

Tatum, Embiid, Mitchell, Antetokounmpo and Durant are currently above any discussion. But let's look at a bunch of stats that look past the raw numbers:

Post in progress....
The advanced stats have never loved Jaylen or shown the importance of his impact on winning for this team. So bring up all the noisy stats like box +/-, on/off +/-, VORP, etc., etc. They mean little to the people that will be putting Jaylen on the All-Star and All-NBA teams this year.

Nick is someone that has brook lopez making the all star team and brown not worth engaging with?

Well I'd say so. Advanced stats is so noisy that it would like to tell you that we will be getting more wins if we play Luke Kornet instead of Jaylen Brown over the course of the game  ;D
Yeah, Value Over Replacement Player stats say you could replace Jaylen with just any guy and get the same results. +/- stats say you're better off as a team not playing Brown than playing him. The noise and ridiculousness of some of the advanced stats just do not match up to what is actually happening on the court in so many ways. According to some stats, Hauser is the Celtics first or second best player. Does that match the eye test?
Or maybe the eye test doesn't actually match value to the scoreboard.  the simple reality is, Jaylen doesn't really impact Boston in the standings.  It takes nothing away from him as a player to say he just doesn't move the needle for this team.  On a different team, he may very well be the most impactful player on the standings of that team.  He missed a game this year and Boston won that one, continuing what has been a trend since he entered the league.  Boston is worse without Brown, but not nearly as much as you would think for someone that is a top 25 player in the sport.

Year - Record w/ Brown, Record w/o Brown
2022 - 43-23, 8-8 (he missed 14 of the first 27 games, Boston was 6-7 with him and 7-7 without him)
2021 - 30-28, 6-8
2020 - 38-19, 10-5
2019 - 41-33, 8-0
2018 - 47-23, 8-4

As I mentioned, thus far this year, Brown missed a game and Boston won that one, so 1-0 this year (but it was Detroit so doesn't mean much).

The simple reality is some players just aren't all that important to the actual success of the team, no matter how good they are or how good their stats look.  We saw that first hand here with Kyrie Irving, when I made similar arguments (and was correct then as well).  We saw that in Memphis last year with Ja Morant. 

I've also shown the stats throughout the years here, that Tatum just plays better when Brown misses games.  He not only ups his totals, but his efficiency.  They aren't a great a fit because they both function at their best when they operate at the same points on the floor.  And since Tatum is pretty clearly the driver or engine of Boston's success, the fact that he plays better without Brown, is why Boston doesn't fade all that much when Brown doesn't even play.  It is why Brown has consistently had a negative on/off differential.  The only real stretch where that wasn't the case, was the last few months last year.  I had hoped that would be the start of something, but alas thus far this year they've gone back into their normal routine.  Boston is 13-3 so obviously a change won't, and shouldn't, be made, but I wouldn't be opposed to moving Brown in the right trade (which is why I was ok with him being the centerpiece of a Durant trade over the summer).  His off court issues only strengthen that point.  Again, when a team is winning like Boston is, you can't really trade a starter or even main rotation piece, but I do wonder if some of this is borrowed time.

Just making the same bad argument over and over again doesn’t make it any stronger. #contrariantakesgonewrong136

« Reply #710 on: November 22, 2022, 01:17:44 AM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
The top East and West teams right now were essentially put together by one great man, his name:

Danny Ainge
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #711 on: November 22, 2022, 06:19:04 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

WEST
Luka Doncic (Dallas Mavericks), Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors), Nikola Jokic (Denver Nuggets), Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (Oklahoma City Thunder), Ja Morant (Memphis Grizzlies), Devin Booker (Phoenix Suns), De'Aaron Fox (Sacramento Kings), Anthony Davis (Los Angeles Lakers), Paul George (Los Angeles Clippers), Desmond Bane (Memphis Grizzlies), Domantas Sabonis (Sacramento Kings), Lauri Markkanen (Utah Jazz)

EAST
Jayson Tatum (Boston Celtics), Joel Embiid (Philadelphia 76ers), Donovan Mitchell (Cleveland Cavaliers), Giannis Antetokounmpo (Milwaukee Bucks), Kevin Durant (Brooklyn Nets), Pascal Siakam (Toronto Raptors), Tyrese Haliburton (Indiana Pacers), James Harden (Philadelphia 76ers), Kristaps Porzingis (Washington Wizards), Jimmy Butler (Miami Heat), Brook Lopez (Milwaukee Bucks), Dejounte Murray (Atlanta Hawks)

You’re missing a guy who’s putting up 25/7 for the team with the best record in the league.

Yeah noway a top 3 team in the conference just get a single all-star when 2nd player is playing that well and healthy. I dont think anyone will put Harden and Lopez in over Brown.

I just did.

Yeah, Jaylen is deserving over about a half dozen guys in the East listed there. Heck, JB gets an All-NBA nod this year if he continues this play and the C's end up as the league's best team.

Tatum, Embiid, Mitchell, Antetokounmpo and Durant are currently above any discussion. But let's look at a bunch of stats that look past the raw numbers:

Post in progress....
The advanced stats have never loved Jaylen or shown the importance of his impact on winning for this team. So bring up all the noisy stats like box +/-, on/off +/-, VORP, etc., etc. They mean little to the people that will be putting Jaylen on the All-Star and All-NBA teams this year.

Nick is someone that has brook lopez making the all star team and brown not worth engaging with?

Well I'd say so. Advanced stats is so noisy that it would like to tell you that we will be getting more wins if we play Luke Kornet instead of Jaylen Brown over the course of the game  ;D
Yeah, Value Over Replacement Player stats say you could replace Jaylen with just any guy and get the same results. +/- stats say you're better off as a team not playing Brown than playing him. The noise and ridiculousness of some of the advanced stats just do not match up to what is actually happening on the court in so many ways. According to some stats, Hauser is the Celtics first or second best player. Does that match the eye test?

Worth pointing out here that different stats 'mature' at different rates - also known as the coefficient of determination. You can judge pace, for example, after five or six games, while you need about 28 games to start looking at three point percentages for the season.

That's not to say these can't be wrong (the average sports fan loves a misinterpreted statistic, so the average sports publication does too) but looking at VORP right now and saying "bin all the advance stats they're useless" is probably not the takeaway you want here.

Good intro on VORP for people who would like to learn more:
https://hackastat.eu/en/learn-a-stat-box-plus-minus-and-vorp/
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #712 on: November 22, 2022, 06:26:17 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Golden State didn’t play any starters.. thought NBA gotta crack down on this
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #713 on: November 22, 2022, 07:18:23 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

WEST

EAST

I just did.

Post in progress....

Worth pointing out here that different stats 'mature' at different rates - also known as the coefficient of determination. You can judge pace, for example, after five or six games, while you need about 28 games to start looking at three point percentages for the season.

That's not to say these can't be wrong (the average sports fan loves a misinterpreted statistic, so the average sports publication does too) but looking at VORP right now and saying "bin all the advance stats they're useless" is probably not the takeaway you want here.

This discussion wasn't about the use of advanced stats to determine the overall efficacy and value and quality of a player. It was about the use of them in determining how voters of All-Star and All-NBA teams will make their selections and I contend, yeah, you can chuck them all in the trash for those people making those votes.

Jaylen won't make All-Star starter, but 99.999% of fans won't use them to cast votes. NO players will and maybe a few media people will. Maybe.

With the All-Star reserves, the head coaches aren't going to delve into the advanced metrics of the very top players to cast their vote on who gets on the team. And the sportswriters and broadcasters who vote for All-NBA won't either. Yeah, there might be an advanced stats geek sportswriter or three who might use them to separate players in their voting, but the vast, vast majority won't.

Also, I have a math degree and have spent a ton of time delving into the advanced stats of basketball. Their math is good. Their premises to create the math is where I have issues. Some are great. Others, complete garbage as they are highly dependent on the other players on the court with a player and that's highly variable and I've never seen a formula that adequately and consistently synthesizes what's happening on the court for players across the league.

A player on horrible team X with group of players Y does not equal a player on a great team A who shares the court with group of players B. No amount of smoothing, controlling or regression models properly takes into account the astonishing amount of variables that should go into such stats.

I've seen some player rankings based on RAPM, EPM, Raptor, etc that have no bearing on reality with players in the top 20-25 players that have no business being considered in that area.

So, I say, the lesson to be learned is take the very advanced stats with a grain of salt when utilizing them in a discussion of how good a player actually is. Use the less advanced ones(not box score but TS%, Reb%, Ast%, rFTA, r3PTA, etc) as an aggregate to judge skills and quality of play and bring that together with the eye test. Then make your determinations.

« Reply #714 on: November 22, 2022, 07:35:04 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

WEST

EAST

I just did.

Post in progress....

This discussion wasn't about the use of advanced stats to determine the overall efficacy and value and quality of a player. It was about the use of them in determining how voters of All-Star and All-NBA teams will make their selections and I contend, yeah, you can chuck them all in the trash for those people making those votes.

Jaylen won't make All-Star starter, but 99.999% of fans won't use them to cast votes. NO players will and maybe a few media people will. Maybe.

With the All-Star reserves, the head coaches aren't going to delve into the advanced metrics of the very top players to cast their vote on who gets on the team. And the sportswriters and broadcasters who vote for All-NBA won't either. Yeah, there might be an advanced stats geek sportswriter or three who might use them to separate players in their voting, but the vast, vast majority won't.

Also, I have a math degree and have spent a ton of time delving into the advanced stats of basketball. Their math is good. Their premises to create the math is where I have issues. Some are great. Others, complete garbage as they are highly dependent on the other players on the court with a player and that's highly variable and I've never seen a formula that adequately and consistently synthesizes what's happening on the court for players across the league.

A player on horrible team X with group of players Y does not equal a player on a great team A who shares the court with group of players B. No amount of smoothing, controlling or regression models properly takes into account the astonishing amount of variables that should go into such stats.

I've seen some player rankings based on RAPM, EPM, Raptor, etc that have no bearing on reality with players in the top 20-25 players that have no business being considered in that area.

So, I say, the lesson to be learned is take the very advanced stats with a grain of salt when utilizing them in a discussion of how good a player actually is. Use the less advanced ones(not box score but TS%, Reb%, Ast%, rFTA, r3PTA, etc) as an aggregate to judge skills and quality of play and bring that together with the eye test. Then make your determinations.

Many good points here.  An additional one:  some of these formulas aren't even entirely statistics based, but use things like height and in their metrics.  They sometimes use stats from various years.  It makes sense why these might be used as a predictor of future performance.  However, as an instant snapshot of where a player ranks, it's nonsensical to care about height and age, etc.  Performance is performance.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #715 on: November 22, 2022, 08:47:16 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

WEST

EAST

I just did.

Post in progress....

Many good points here.  An additional one:  some of these formulas aren't even entirely statistics based, but use things like height and in their metrics.  They sometimes use stats from various years.  It makes sense why these might be used as a predictor of future performance.  However, as an instant snapshot of where a player ranks, it's nonsensical to care about height and age, etc.  Performance is performance.
And I will add that sometimes, when looking at All-Star or All-NBA determinations, you a lot of the times don't need to delve into the advanced stats

A guy like JB, who is not only widely regarded by those in the league, by those in league media and by informed fans as a top notch defender, but also is putting up 26/7/4 with good to great shooting numbers and is on the best or one of the best teams in the league, is definitely making an All-Star team and probably makes or just misses being All-NBA. You really don't need to go much beyond those numbers to see that.

« Reply #716 on: November 22, 2022, 08:51:31 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If Brown stays mostly healthy and Boston doesn't collapse, there is almost no way he isn't an all star this year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #717 on: November 22, 2022, 09:00:16 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

WEST

EAST

I just did.

Post in progress....

Sure, I have bolded the point I was replying to in specific - totally agree with you. Essentially I am cosigning the first sentence of your last paragraph.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #718 on: November 22, 2022, 09:41:12 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Hawks are 16th in off eff with 10-7 W-L.

Trae 52.5% TS%
Dejounte Murray 51.6% TS%

Seems like most of their good offense is coming from the passing of these two rather than their scoring. Setting up role players for easier attempts. John Collins at 59.2% TS%. Capela and Okongwu dunking a lot for 19ppg combined at 61% and 67% TS%.

« Reply #719 on: November 22, 2022, 09:50:56 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
If Brown stays mostly healthy and Boston doesn't collapse, there is almost no way he isn't an all star this year.

Brown is off to a slow start this season.  Tatum had a slow start last season.  Brown's advanced stats were just fine last season, as expected for a #2 star.  I know in theory the all star selection is supposed to be based on just this season but that tends not to be the case.  I feel Brown is an all star caliber player, even this season with the slow start.  And I expect those voting will in general feel the same.