Author Topic: Celtics Regular Season News  (Read 61629 times)

Re: Celtics Regular Season News
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2022, 08:45:57 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Any news on Brogdon’s injury? I hope he doesn’t miss time. It was reported as “right hamstring tightness” during the game and I couldn’t see any updates post game.

I bet they’ll rest him Friday on the first half of the back-to-back.
this is probably what they'll do.  would expect to see more time for White, Hauser and PP (to an extent) to make up for his minutes.  Think the offense is going to take a hit with Brogdon out

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2022, 09:27:54 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Jay King: Joe Mazzulla on how Ime back and forth impacts him: “I just have a job to do. Just focus on that. The guys are bought in. They trust me for the position that I’m in. And I just can’t take that trust for granted. I’ve just gotta do my job, whatever we’ve gotta do to win.” – via Twitter ByJayKing
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2022, 09:50:06 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
https://www.si.com/nba/celtics/top-stories/exploring-the-celtics-options-with-the-disabled-player-exception-granted-to-them-for-losing-danilo-gallinari#gid=ci02afc130500025c3&pid=usatsi_17967273

Whiteside for the DPE seems like a low risk move. But of course there must be a reason why he’s still a free agent at this time of the year. He seemed like a good soldier for Utah last year though.

Whiteside wouldn’t require the DPE.  He’s a minimum player.

I have been wondering about Whiteside all along.  Last season for Utah (a team that was winning), he put up about 8 pts, 8 rebs, 1.6 blocks, in 18 minutes.  Only 60% career FT% so that is probably why he doesn't play more than that but what is not to like?

As to whether he is a min contract guy or not, a solid back up center who can give you 8/8 plus defend, is generally going to get more than a vet min contract.  He has somehow gotten a stigma attached to him, it may be warranted, I don't know, but I am really surprised that he did not sign somewhere.  This makes me think it is more him not wanting to sign vs. teams not making any offers.

I think the point with the DPE is that we can offer more than most other teams that can only offer a vet min.  As of today, 11 games in, a vet min will pay him only a prorated amount of the vet min, 71/82 or about 87% of $2,905,851 which is about $2.5M (and continues to get a little less each game).  The DPE allows us to offer $3.2 and does not need to be prorated (as explained by Celtics2021).

As I said, I don't get the feeling that this is about getting a little more or a little less money.  I think he could be on a roster if he wanted to be on a roster.

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2022, 10:00:52 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
https://www.si.com/nba/celtics/top-stories/exploring-the-celtics-options-with-the-disabled-player-exception-granted-to-them-for-losing-danilo-gallinari#gid=ci02afc130500025c3&pid=usatsi_17967273

Whiteside for the DPE seems like a low risk move. But of course there must be a reason why he’s still a free agent at this time of the year. He seemed like a good soldier for Utah last year though.

I have been wondering about Whiteside all along.  Last season for Utah (a team that was winning), about 8 pts, 8 rebs, 1.6 blocks, in 18 minutes.  Only 60% career FT% so that is probably why he would play more than that but what is not to like?

As to whether he is a min contract guy or not, a solid back up center who can give you 8/8 plus defend, is generally going to get more than a vet min contract.  He has somehow gotten a stigma attached to him, it may be warranted, I don't know, but I am really surprised that he did not sign somewhere.  This makes me think it is more him not wanting to sign vs. teams not making any offers.

I think the point with the DPE is that we can offer more than most other teams that can only offer a vet min.  As of today, 11 games in, a vet min will pay him only a prorated amount of the vet min, 71/82 or about 87% of $2,905,851 which is about $2.5M (and continues to get a little less each game).  The DPE allows us to offer $3.2 and does not need to be prorated.

As I said, I don't get the feeling that this is about getting a little more or a little less money.  I think he could be on a roster if he wanted to be on a roster.
You have to get beyond the raw numbers with guys like Boogie, Whiteside and Howard. People focus too much on that.

First, all three would need to be drop down guys in the pick n roll meaning using them necessitates a completely different scheme, one the team has tried using when Griffin is in and it hurts the team defensively.

Second, all three guys have historically been clowns and had issues on the court and in the locker room. Different issues dependent on player, but all three are selfish, "all about me" type players and personalities, usually to the whole team's detriment. The Celtics don't want or need a guy like that in the locker room.

There's a reason Whiteside, Boogie and Howard were shunned by EVERY team in the league and Howard is now playing in some small time Taiwanese league, they are generally looked at as cancerous to good team building. Pass on all three.

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2022, 10:30:21 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I have been wondering about Whiteside all along.  Last season for Utah (a team that was winning), about 8 pts, 8 rebs, 1.6 blocks, in 18 minutes.  Only 60% career FT% so that is probably why he would play more than that but what is not to like?

I think the point with the DPE is that we can offer more than most other teams that can only offer a vet min.  As of today, 11 games in, a vet min will pay him only a prorated amount of the vet min, 71/82 or about 87% of $2,905,851 which is about $2.5M (and continues to get a little less each game).  The DPE allows us to offer $3.2 and does not need to be prorated.

You have to get beyond the raw numbers with guys like Boogie, Whiteside and Howard. People focus too much on that.

First, all three would need to be drop down guys in the pick n roll meaning using them necessitates a completely different scheme, one the team has tried using when Griffin is in and it hurts the team defensively.

Second, all three guys have historically been clowns and had issues on the court and in the locker room. Different issues dependent on player, but all three are selfish, "all about me" type players and personalities, usually to the whole team's detriment. The Celtics don't want or need a guy like that in the locker room.

There's a reason Whiteside, Boogie and Howard were shunned by EVERY team in the league and Howard is now playing in some small time Taiwanese league, they are generally looked at as cancerous to good team building. Pass on all three.

My complete guess, based on following the game from afar:  most teammates would hate D12 the person; they'd be fairly neutral toward Whiteside; and they'd actually like Boogie.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2022, 10:41:09 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

My complete guess, based on following the game from afar:  most teammates would hate D12 the person; they'd be fairly neutral toward Whiteside; and they'd actually like Boogie.

Same for HC POV?

« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2022, 10:46:18 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Same for HC POV?

Head coaches would say: 

* D12 is a "me first" player who is a distraction on and off the court. 

* Whiteside is a "me first" player who is less of a distraction off court, but on-court he gets out of position and doesn't usually show consistent effort.

* Cousins is a team-first player, but he's also a hothead.  He's a good fit for most teams' offensive schemes and he's a positive rebounder, but he's slow on defense and takes plays off when frustrated.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2022, 01:53:34 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

So neither a vet min nor a DPE count against the cap? I thought that was only for DPE.

« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2022, 02:20:18 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

So neither a vet min nor a DPE count against the cap? I thought that was only for DPE.

The point is that the difference in salary is marginal between the two, and if Whiteside wants to hold out for the extra few hundred thousand, that tells you all you need to know about how committed he is to winning.

« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2022, 02:46:58 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

The point is that the difference in salary is marginal between the two, and if Whiteside wants to hold out for the extra few hundred thousand, that tells you all you need to know about how committed he is to winning.
Well I don't want Whiteside anyway. Just trying to understand if the C's brass could be motivated to use the DPE if it doesn't add to their tax bill.

« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2022, 02:48:51 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Well I don't want Whiteside anyway. Just trying to understand if the C's brass could be motivated to use the DPE if it doesn't add to their tax bill.

Both count against the tax.

The minimum costs less, particularly if it's a one-year minimum, which gets subsidized by the league.

« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2022, 06:19:10 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Any news on Brogdon’s injury? I hope he doesn’t miss time. It was reported as “right hamstring tightness” during the game and I couldn’t see any updates post game.

this is probably what they'll do.  would expect to see more time for White, Hauser and PP (to an extent) to make up for his minutes.  Think the offense is going to take a hit with Brogdon out

Brogdon officially out for tomorrow.  Hopefully Pritchard can get into a rhythm knowing he’s going to be playing.  It has to have been hard for him this year, having seemingly made it into an NBA rotation at the end of last season.

« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2022, 09:06:08 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Brogdon officially out for tomorrow.  Hopefully Pritchard can get into a rhythm knowing he’s going to be playing.  It has to have been hard for him this year, having seemingly made it into an NBA rotation at the end of last season.
I thought that beyond missing his threes, his play against Detroit was solid. Ran the break hard, got into the lane on occasion (sadly missed a dunk), and kept the ball moving.

I'm obviously a fan of his, so a tad biased
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2022, 11:06:46 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722

Both count against the tax.

The minimum costs less, particularly if it's a one-year minimum, which gets subsidized by the league.

To hell with their tax bill - Does ownership want to win titles or not ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2022, 02:15:24 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
“This has been kind of a different style of basketball I play here with Joe [Mazzulla],” Brown said. “So I’m just adjusting, trying to be aggressive, and also be myself at the same time. I’m just still trying to find that balance.”

“The emphasis I think for me has been more off-ball,” Brown said. “Setting screens, being a roller, playing off-ball. And sometimes it feels better to just get in a rhythm when the ball comes to you. You can be the one making the play, be the one creating for others helps you get going. “Just trying to find that balance, being aggressive and continuing to find different ways to be impactful in the game of basketball.”

“Just playing basketball, at the end of the day,” Brown said. “Focusing on the game, seeing the floor, making the reads, playing, having fun and taking advantage of opportunities. That’s what you see on the floor, just some guys having some fun.”

“I have all faith in Joe, and all faith in our team, so as we continue to grow, I’ll figure it out and see where my spots are,” Brown said. “I think I’m a better player than I showed these last 10 games, but we’ve been winning, so we’ve just got to keep that up and keep that the emphasis.”

And if Brown has concerns, he feels more than comfortable talking to Mazzulla. After the third quarter on Wednesday, Brown and Mazzulla appeared to have a mildly tense interaction, and Brown turned to the bench. Mazzulla, however, grabbed Brown’s jersey and pulled him back into the conversation.

“Even times when I don’t want to talk to Joe, Joe is like, ‘Nah, you’re gonna talk to me,’” Brown said with a smile. “So I appreciate that relationship from a head coach, and I’m looking forward to it.

“We all believe in Joe. I believe in Joe. So I’m excited about the journey. There’s going to be challenges, we’re only 11 games in, we got a lot more to go. So we’ve just got to keep grinding.”
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.