Author Topic: Basketball Card Collectors  (Read 60620 times)

Basketball Card Collectors
« on: September 24, 2022, 03:22:16 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
So I was just going through my childhood basketball card collection for the first time in about 20 years. And for craps and giggles I was looking up some of these cards. Many worth thousands of “PSA 9” or above.

Has anyone gone through the process of getting their cards evaluated?
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: Basketball Card Collectors
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 03:33:10 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
So I was just going through my childhood basketball card collection for the first time in about 20 years. And for craps and giggles I was looking up some of these cards. Many worth thousands of “PSA 9” or above.

I've been in the industry for 10+ years (before the boom) and have a ton of experience personally buying, selling, evaluating, and grading cards. I've actually recently been hired by a few firms as a paid consultant to talk about card grading criteria.

PM me and I'll send you my phone number. I'm pretty good at eyeballing cards/potential grades/defects and am happy to help out however I can. I'm out with the family right now but will get back to you tonight or tomorrow.

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 03:35:39 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

I've been in the industry for 10+ years (before the boom) and have a ton of experience personally buying, selling, evaluating, and grading cards. I've actually recently been hired by a few firms as a paid consultant to talk about card grading criteria.

PM me and I'll send you my phone number. I'm pretty good at eyeballing cards/potential grades/defects and am happy to help out however I can. I'm out with the family right now but will get back to you tonight or tomorrow.

Awesome. Glad I posted here, could definitely use some guidance. I’ll PM now

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 03:36:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I haven't gone through having my cards evaluated by PSA for a few reasons.  Mostly, because it's a long and fairly expensive process, that may not pay off.  A card that looks "mint" to you and I might get evaluated as a 6 or a 7.  That's still a perfectly good card, but in the minds of a lot of collectors it suggests the card isn't in great condition.

But, if you've got some potentially high value cards that look like they're in pristine shape, it may be worth it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 03:42:22 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
I’m noticing that one of my favorite cards in my collection is probably worth nothing because the margins are a bit off. What would something like this be, PSA 7? It’s in mint condition

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022, 05:25:07 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I've got a few Bird 1981 Topps....in awesome condition...a 10 gets $20,000....need to get mine graded.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022, 05:37:58 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I’m noticing that one of my favorite cards in my collection is probably worth nothing because the margins are a bit off. What would something like this be, PSA 7? It’s in mint condition

I wouldn't grade that unless you really wanted to, centering is particularly bad. PSA grades mostly on "eye appeal," meaning they're usually forgiving with slightly off-centered cards as long as the corners are sharp to the naked eye, but that's worse than 80-20. Probably a 5 at best as a result. It'd probably fetch $30-60 depending on how the back corners and edge look (PSA 7s sell for about 100-150)

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2022, 05:53:14 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I got 1987 Fleer set and stickers set, 1988 Fleer set and stickers set, 1989 Fleer set..wonder how much they are worth?? Got them in a binder since that time & I would say they are a grade 9 or 10..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2022, 06:00:25 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2022, 03:03:30 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

I wouldn't grade that unless you really wanted to, centering is particularly bad. PSA grades mostly on "eye appeal," meaning they're usually forgiving with slightly off-centered cards as long as the corners are sharp to the naked eye, but that's worse than 80-20. Probably a 5 at best as a result. It'd probably fetch $30-60 depending on how the back corners and edge look (PSA 7s sell for about 100-150)

That stinks for me.

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2022, 08:12:09 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I got 1987 Fleer set and stickers set, 1988 Fleer set and stickers set, 1989 Fleer set..wonder how much they are worth?? Got them in a binder since that time & I would say they are a grade 9 or 10..

Those are some pretty cool sets to own.  How did you come around to getting them?