Author Topic: Patriots 2022 Season  (Read 107397 times)

Re: Patriots 2022 Season
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2022, 08:09:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The Patriots have not drafted well in a decade.  They haven't had real impact from free agency in longer than that.  Bill the GM just isn't very good.  They needed to replace Pioli with someone competent and didn't and the scouting and front office hasn't been the same.  That obviously doesn't mean they didn't get some great players, of course they have, but not at near the level they were previously.
I love it when you say things like this. Some of the draft picks the Pats have made in the last decade:
Chandler Jones - Dont'a Hightower - Tavon Wilson - Nate Ebner - Jamie Collins - Logan Ryan - Duron Harmon - Trey Flowers - Shaq Mason - Joe Thuney - Deatrich Wise - Isaiah Wynn - Damien Harris - Mike Onwenu - Mac Jones - Kyle Dugger - Christian Barmore - Rhamondre Stevenson

The majority of those players have had significant roles in SB winning teams, and have at different times been regarded as some of the best in their position.
That is less than 20 players.  There are 7 rounds.  Every team will draft good players, but the Patriots have been missing far more than most teams and far more than they were before they let Pioli leave and didn't replace him.
Prove it
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2022, 10:31:10 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Moranis is right and wrong. The Patriots haven’t been good at drafting over the last 10 years. He’s wrong that they are bad at drafting overall since Pioli. Bill has turned a lot of late round picks into starters on SB winning teams. Sure, you can say it was all Brady. What about the 13-3 win against the Rams? Incredible coaching from Bill. Big time defense from guys Bill picked. Most fan bases would be psyched with that one win alone. It’s almost like Moranis is forgetting about the last three Super Bowl wins.

« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2022, 12:51:36 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Moranis is right and wrong. The Patriots haven’t been good at drafting over the last 10 years. He’s wrong that they are bad at drafting overall since Pioli. Bill has turned a lot of late round picks into starters on SB winning teams. Sure, you can say it was all Brady. What about the 13-3 win against the Rams? Incredible coaching from Bill. Big time defense from guys Bill picked. Most fan bases would be psyched with that one win alone. It’s almost like Moranis is forgetting about the last three Super Bowl wins.

Tommy point, I brought up the super bowl we won with 13 points and nobody seemed to want to acknowledge it. We had very good defenses for most of Brady’s run.

« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2022, 03:15:50 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Tommy point, I brought up the super bowl we won with 13 points and nobody seemed to want to acknowledge it. We had very good defenses for most of Brady’s run.
Let's not forget that drafting isn't the only job of a GM. Trading and free agency are important as well. And look at the great trades and free agents Bill got over the years to fill out Super Bowl rosters. 

Gilmore
Revis
Van Noy
Judon
Trent Brown
Ninkovich
Develin
Chung 2nd time around
Collins 2nd time around
Branch
Devin McCourty

And that's just over the last decade and I am sure I am missing some. And I don't think I have to go into his successes over his first decade here, in this regard. Lastly, Belichick's trading of picks up and down the draft has positioned him to get some steals, like Edelman  for instance.

« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2022, 03:32:02 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Patriots offense is just putrid and they look so much worse than last season. Making Patricia the play caller on offense was beyond stupid.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2022, 03:47:02 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
What made Bill Belichick & Tom Brady relationship so special was that Bill is a defensive genius and Tom an offensive genius.

With Brady at QB, Belichick could save money on expensive offensive weapons (other than Moss), not to mention that elite players would eventually take short term discounts, just to play with Brady.

Unfortunately, that’s all in the past now.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 03:52:25 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2022, 03:59:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Too many turnovers.
Too many sacks.
Too many bad calls that didn't go the team's way.

Defense did their job giving up just 13 points. Offense was bad.

That no call interference in the end zone on the first drive was huge in this game. If Pats' get that on the one and convert, this may have been a very, very different game.

« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2022, 04:12:54 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
It's pretty obvious our drafting dropped the ball hard these last several years. This team is destitute of any top talent players, being filled with a bunch of has-beens, overpaid players and unproven youth. Last year was a step in the right direction, with Mac, Barmore and Stevenson all looking good, but we still got a long way to go.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2022, 04:14:51 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

That's cool and all, but people also forgot that we scored 41 and 37 points to even get to the super bowl. Not even gonna mention the defensive choke job that was 2017.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2022, 04:15:45 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Thank you, O-Line.

@MikeReiss
 ·
13m
Mac Jones just walked through the tunnel and into the X-Ray room here at Hard Rock Stadium

Update*

@MikeReiss
Mac Jones will not be made available for interviews. The team says he has a back injury.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 04:50:12 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2022, 04:51:50 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
If Kendrick Bourne demanded a trade this week, I wouldn't blame him. Absolutely ridiculous that our 2nd best WR and probably the most versatile guy on our offense is basically benched due to Belichick's and the coaching staff's ego.

And go figure, when he finally comes into the game, 2 plays later Mac connects with him on a 41-yard deep pass which looked awesome. Then he basically got benched again in the drive Agholor fumbled  ::)

Also, it's scary that this team is paying A TON (I think 60M+ combined) for extremely mediocre production at WR. Only Meyers and Bourne are reliable, and Henry but Henry is a TE.

Look at Miami. They got Waddle, Hill, and a bunch of great pieces AND coaching to surround Tua and help their QB. Then look at New England. Two clowns running the offense (Patricia, Judge) and lets be real, do we have anyone close to the level of Tyreek or even Waddle? I don't think so.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2022, 05:22:04 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Patriots offense is just putrid and they look so much worse than last season. Making Patricia the play caller on offense was beyond stupid.
Hiring Patricia at all was a mistake. Dude is a complete dud.

It’s becoming painful how much Bill plays favourites with incompetent people

« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2022, 05:22:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
If Kendrick Bourne demanded a trade this week, I wouldn't blame him. Absolutely ridiculous that our 2nd best WR and probably the most versatile guy on our offense is basically benched due to Belichick's and the coaching staff's ego.

And go figure, when he finally comes into the game, 2 plays later Mac connects with him on a 41-yard deep pass which looked awesome. Then he basically got benched again in the drive Agholor fumbled  ::)

Also, it's scary that this team is paying A TON (I think 60M+ combined) for extremely mediocre production at WR. Only Meyers and Bourne are reliable, and Henry but Henry is a TE.

Look at Miami. They got Waddle, Hill, and a bunch of great pieces AND coaching to surround Tua and help their QB. Then look at New England. Two clowns running the offense (Patricia, Judge) and lets be real, do we have anyone close to the level of Tyreek or even Waddle? I don't think so.
Bourne is a very good player with a very good connection with Mac.

So naturally he will be benched

« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2022, 05:37:20 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Bourne is a very good player with a very good connection with Mac.

So naturally he will be benched

Of course.

I'm sure next week Meyers will be benched for having a "mediocre practice" or something this week  ::)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2022, 06:00:41 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Hiring Patricia at all was a mistake. Dude is a complete dud.

It’s becoming painful how much Bill plays favourites with incompetent people

I didn't hate the offense today relative to what has been said about the offense all pre-season.  It's a work in progress and they've got a long way to go but I look forward to seeing improvement as the season moves on.  They are simply not contenders and like every team that doesn't have the GOAT as their QB, the Patriots are JAT until they strike gold again.  Which could be 20 years from now.   

For me it's a reset of expectations with a little bit of sustained gratitude for the previous 20 years.   I have to watch them now through different eyes while remembering that somehow I was a very invested fan for the vast majority (I was only 2 when Billy Sullivan was awarded an AFL franchise in 1960) of the 40 years before they won their first Super Bowl.    Somehow the games were still interesting.  Somehow I looked forward to every Sunday.  And when they made the playoffs it was exciting, not 'no big deal'.   

The outcome today wasn't good, but I enjoyed watching. And I think Mac Jones has a chance to be the 2nd best QB in franchise history -- which would mean competitive football is still in our future.     

And Celtics training camp is just a few weeks away!