Author Topic: Celtics Off-Season News  (Read 21009 times)

Re: Celtics Off-Season News
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2022, 03:26:18 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I like Kabengele, but he seems smallish for a center.  I know they list him at 250, but bigger summer league centers seemed to noticeably outsize him.  Happy to have him available, just doesn't fill the need for true size off the bench (and Kornet doesn't either bc he gets pushed around so easily even at his height).

Kabengele was officially measured at 6’10.5”/256lbs at the draft combine with a 7’3” reach. Also had a 35.5” vertical. He’s bigger than Rob, Al, Gallo and Grant in both height/weight. So unless you are worried about everyone’s size at C, you shouldn’t have to worry about Kabengele.

This draft measurement was in shoes.  The official measurements of NBA players is now done without shoes.  I think they have him at 6'-9", so yes, much bigger than Grant, the same as RWill or Horford (both listed at 6'-9"), but not as big as Gallinari (listed at 6'-10").  Definitely an impressive wingspan which of course is important.  I don't think size or length is the issue for him.

As to his position, it seems he is rightfully modeling himself after Al Horford.  Horford is not really either a natural PF or C but can play either.  "Tweener" is not usually considered a compliment but for Horford it is representative of his versatility.  I think if Kabengele develops the athletic ability and skill to play in the NBA, he will be fine at either position.  As I said, size won't be the issue, ability will be.  He may be more of a PF than a C but I think he he will either develop the skills and be fine in either role or he won't and he will struggle in either role.

After a much improved sophomore season, Mfiondu Kabengele showed up at the combine and measured out at a really impressive size for an NBA power forward. At 6’10.5” in shoes,

For what it’s worth, Horford was measured at 6’8” without shoes at the combine, while Kabengele was measured at 6’8.75, so Kabengele is indeed taller.  He’s got three inches on Grant’s shoeless height.  Williams didn’t attend his combine, so we don’t have a verified height, but the Celtics have him at 6’8” officially, which is supposedly without shoes.  They must round up, because Grant is listed as 6’6”, so Kabengele would be 6’9” officially, making him taller than Rob.

We also don’t have an official height for Gallinari from the combine, so I guess we’ll have to wait for training camp heights on him.

I think we are all saying the same thing, plus or minus some rounding error.  Kabengele is about as tall as Horford or RWill and with good wing span.  That would seem to be plenty of size and length to play either PF or C in the NBA.  The question will be does he have the hands, the touch, the court awareness, the ability to play at the speed of the game, and so on.

« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2022, 03:56:41 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
I like Kabengele, but he seems smallish for a center.  I know they list him at 250, but bigger summer league centers seemed to noticeably outsize him.  Happy to have him available, just doesn't fill the need for true size off the bench (and Kornet doesn't either bc he gets pushed around so easily even at his height).

Kabengele was officially measured at 6’10.5”/256lbs at the draft combine with a 7’3” reach. Also had a 35.5” vertical. He’s bigger than Rob, Al, Gallo and Grant in both height/weight. So unless you are worried about everyone’s size at C, you shouldn’t have to worry about Kabengele.

This draft measurement was in shoes.  The official measurements of NBA players is now done without shoes.  I think they have him at 6'-9", so yes, much bigger than Grant, the same as RWill or Horford (both listed at 6'-9"), but not as big as Gallinari (listed at 6'-10").  Definitely an impressive wingspan which of course is important.  I don't think size or length is the issue for him.

As to his position, it seems he is rightfully modeling himself after Al Horford.  Horford is not really either a natural PF or C but can play either.  "Tweener" is not usually considered a compliment but for Horford it is representative of his versatility.  I think if Kabengele develops the athletic ability and skill to play in the NBA, he will be fine at either position.  As I said, size won't be the issue, ability will be.  He may be more of a PF than a C but I think he he will either develop the skills and be fine in either role or he won't and he will struggle in either role.

After a much improved sophomore season, Mfiondu Kabengele showed up at the combine and measured out at a really impressive size for an NBA power forward. At 6’10.5” in shoes,

For what it’s worth, Horford was measured at 6’8” without shoes at the combine, while Kabengele was measured at 6’8.75, so Kabengele is indeed taller.  He’s got three inches on Grant’s shoeless height.  Williams didn’t attend his combine, so we don’t have a verified height, but the Celtics have him at 6’8” officially, which is supposedly without shoes.  They must round up, because Grant is listed as 6’6”, so Kabengele would be 6’9” officially, making him taller than Rob.

We also don’t have an official height for Gallinari from the combine, so I guess we’ll have to wait for training camp heights on him.

I think we are all saying the same thing, plus or minus some rounding error.  Kabengele is about as tall as Horford or RWill and with good wing span.  That would seem to be plenty of size and length to play either PF or C in the NBA.  The question will be does he have the hands, the touch, the court awareness, the ability to play at the speed of the game, and so on.

Kabengele is slightly taller, plus he outweighs those guys by 15-20lbs. He’s just a bigger player and I was really surprised to read that his vertical was 35.5”. That with the 7’3” wingspan is very impressive. 
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2022, 08:29:58 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Below was from earlier today. Good to hear from Brad.

“Since the Brogdon trade, we felt really good about our team,” Brad Stevens told Merloni, Fauria and Mego on WEEI Tuesday in an appearance during the station’s Jimmy Fund fundraiser. “We felt really good about building around these guys that we’ve been building around, trying to accentuate our best players.”

Stevens added: ”We’re excited to move forward with our team and that’s really been our focus for a while. You say it’s been busy and there’s been a lot of talk but it hasn’t been from me. Hopefully, it gave everyone something to talk about. It’s been pretty quiet on our front for a while now.

“Of course,” Stevens said of whether he’s been in contact with Brown. “Jaylen’s been through this from the standpoint of listening and the noise has been around him for a long time, big names over the years. I think one of the things you have to be able to do is ignore the noise and know what’s important. Also, be able to reach out and have candid and transparent communications with the people involved. We’ve had those and been very open from the get-go as all of this has been going on for any of our guys. I sat down with Jaylen last week in LA. He looked great and he will be back to Boston soon.”  – via Brian Robb @ Booth Newspapers
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 11:04:04 PM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2022, 11:54:48 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Keith Smith: The Boston Celtics have officially signed Bruno Caboclo.  – via Twitter KeithSmithNBA

« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2022, 12:05:00 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Keith Smith: The Boston Celtics have officially signed Bruno Caboclo.  – via Twitter KeithSmithNBA

To what? Is it just a camp contract?

"At present, no details have yet been revealed about the signing."

« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2022, 12:07:07 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

This is old news,  Just an Exhibit 10 (Camp) deal as I understand it.  Nothing new here that I am aware of.  Not sure why it got reported today.  Maybe it became official or something like that.

« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2022, 12:17:20 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

This is old news,  Just an Exhibit 10 (Camp) deal as I understand it.  Nothing new here that I am aware of.  Not sure why it got reported today.  Maybe it became official or something like that.

Old news from two hours ago?

Justin Quinn
August 26, 2022 11:15 am ET

The Boston Celtics have reportedly signed unrestricted free agent center Bruno Caboclo per new reporting from Celtics Blog’s Keith Smith. The Brazilian big man is a versatile big able to play down to the 3 but has mostly played the 4 and 5 in recent years. He last played for the São Paulo FC of the Novo Basquete Brasil (NBB) based in the Brazilian city of the same name after his last stop in the NBA, the Houston Rockets, and between those stops had a stint with Limoges CSP in the French Pro-A league.

« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2022, 12:22:26 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Justin Quinn

The Boston Celtics have reportedly signed unrestricted free agent center Bruno Caboclo per new reporting from Celtics Blog’s Keith Smith. The Brazilian big man is a versatile big able to play down to the 3 but has mostly played the 4 and 5 in recent years. He last played for the São Paulo FC of the Novo Basquete Brasil (NBB) based in the Brazilian city of the same name after his last stop in the NBA, the Houston Rockets, and between those stops had a stint with Limoges CSP in the French Pro-A league.

I think it's the Celts just making the camp invite official.  All players are signed to contracts.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2022, 12:38:23 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Justin Quinn

It's probably just off season disorder but I'm a little interested in Caboclo. He looks like a modern NBA big.

« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2022, 01:14:13 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
I’m really excited to have Brogdon on the C’s. A real asset on and off the court.

Brogdon said he is ready to embrace a sixth-man role with the Celtics and believes the team is well-positioned for success now that the roster appears settled. He has been friends with Celtics forward Jaylen Brown for several years and reached out after his name started to appear in Kevin Durant trade rumors, but added that Brown “is not a guy that needs pep talks.” “Like any human being, sometimes you want to be checked on to see how you’re doing, but that’s all I did with him,” Brogdon said. “Jaylen’s a confident guy and he understands this is part of the business as well. So he’s a pro. He’s going to come back ready for training camp and ready to work.”  via Boston Globe

« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2022, 01:36:00 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Justin Quinn

It's probably just off season disorder but I'm a little interested in Caboclo. He looks like a modern NBA big.

He reminds me of a poor man’s Kevon Looney.  Looney made the switch from wing with length to big much earlier in his career, but if Caboclo is ready to now, he could be useful as an emergency bug for a couple of years.

« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2022, 02:00:03 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I’m really excited to have Brogdon on the C’s. A real asset on and off the court.

Brogdon said he is ready to embrace a sixth-man role with the Celtics and believes the team is well-positioned for success now that the roster appears settled. He has been friends with Celtics forward Jaylen Brown for several years and reached out after his name started to appear in Kevin Durant trade rumors, but added that Brown “is not a guy that needs pep talks.” “Like any human being, sometimes you want to be checked on to see how you’re doing, but that’s all I did with him,” Brogdon said. “Jaylen’s a confident guy and he understands this is part of the business as well. So he’s a pro. He’s going to come back ready for training camp and ready to work.”  via Boston Globe
He is such a refreshing guy attitude-wise, compared to some of our previous veterans (Thompson, Morris, Crowder)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2022, 02:10:40 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

He is such a refreshing guy attitude-wise, compared to some of our previous veterans (Thompson, Morris, Crowder)

Did crowder do anything besides get upset at the love for hayward when he was on the jazz?

« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2022, 03:33:34 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Did crowder do anything besides get upset at the love for hayward when he was on the jazz?
Not necessarily in our uniform, but his behaviour since then has routinely been between below average and deplorable
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2022, 09:31:50 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Justin Quinn

He reminds me of a poor man’s Kevon Looney.  Looney made the switch from wing with length to big much earlier in his career, but if Caboclo is ready to now, he could be useful as an emergency bug for a couple of years.

I can see that comp. If Caboclo can defend I think he'll get a spot...