Author Topic: Celtics Off-Season News  (Read 20998 times)

Re: Celtics Off-Season News
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2022, 12:24:05 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Sean Deveney @SeanDeveney
about 10 minutes ago
The @Boston Celtics center @Robert Williams has had no setbacks or pain after grinding his way through the postseason, I was told. Plan is to rest for 6 weeks & next month he will report to @SanfordPOWER in Irvine, Cal, to get season-ready.

TP. That’s great news.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2022, 12:31:03 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
about 10 minutes ago
The @Boston Celtics center @Robert Williams has had no setbacks or pain after grinding his way through the postseason, I was told. Plan is to rest for 6 weeks & next month he will report to @SanfordPOWER in Irvine, Cal, to get season-ready.

TP. That’s great news.

I guess there is always that thought or question that are they risking making things really worse by asking a player to "grind it out" and contribute to a playoff run.  Isaiah Thomas' hip comes to mind.  Not that anyone knows for sure if continuing to play was the cause or if the hip had just worn out anyway but there is always that question with this sort of thing.

To be honest, this kind of release is not all that reassuring to me.  Unless they had to perform another surgery or something, you weren't going to hear anything different.  Williams is going to continue to have the durability doubt cloud around him until he doesn't.  I think he is going to have a good year.  He will miss some games but I get the feeling somehow that he is learning how to manage this.  We'll see.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 12:40:24 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2022, 04:26:16 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
about 10 minutes ago

TP. That’s great news.

I guess there is always that thought or question that are they risking making things really worse by asking a player to "grind it out" and contribute to a playoff run.  Isaiah Thomas' hip comes to mind.  Not that anyone knows for sure if continuing to play was the cause or if the hip had just worn out anyway but there is always that question with this sort of thing.

To be honest, this kind of release is not all that reassuring to me.  Unless they had to perform another surgery or something, you weren't going to hear anything different.  Williams is going to continue to have the durability doubt cloud around him until he doesn't.  I think he is going to have a good year.  He will miss some games but I get the feeling somehow that he is learning how to manage this.  We'll see.

The last game of the finals was a month ago and he’s not having any pain or other issues with the knee. How is that not reassuring? This is good news.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2022, 04:32:17 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Outside of the Cs winning their next championship, the probability of everyone in this forum being on the same page is zero.

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2022, 10:36:06 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Celtics to sign Mfiondu Kabengele to two-way contract after solid Summer League showing

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2022/07/celtics-to-sign-mfiondu-kabengele-to-two-way-contract-after-solid-summer-league-showing.html?outputType=amp

Kabengele has all of the physical tools to be an NBA player. 6’10”/250lbs with a 7’3” wingspan. He’s athletic and a quick leaper. Can’t wait for Horford to start working with the kid.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 10:53:32 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2022, 11:01:28 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799
Celtics to sign Mfiondu Kabengele to two-way contract after solid Summer League showing

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2022/07/celtics-to-sign-mfiondu-kabengele-to-two-way-contract-after-solid-summer-league-showing.html?outputType=amp

Kabengele has all of the physical tools to be an NBA player. 6’10”/250lbs with a 7’3” wingspan. He’s athletic and a quick leaper. Can’t wait for Horford to start working with the kid.

Smart move Brad.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2022, 11:26:09 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Now sign Ryan to a roster spot.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2022, 11:43:35 PM »

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 171
about 10 minutes ago

TP. That’s great news.

To be honest, this kind of release is not all that reassuring to me.
Isaiah Thomas was found to have had a congenital hip problem that aggravated the hip injury the Celtics thought would heal by the playoffs. Until Rob is also diagnosed with a congenital problem, I don't think it is fair to compare the two. This does indeed sound like good news, though I understand taking a "wait n see" approach.

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2022, 11:45:02 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
The Celtics had given Brodric Thomas a qualifying offer for a 2-way, which he hadn’t yet accepted.  With Kabengele and Davison taking both of the 2-ways, I’m assuming that QO will be rescinded.

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2022, 03:52:02 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
about 10 minutes ago

TP. That’s great news.

To be honest, this kind of release is not all that reassuring to me.
Isaiah Thomas was found to have had a congenital hip problem that aggravated the hip injury the Celtics thought would heal by the playoffs. Until Rob is also diagnosed with a congenital problem, I don't think it is fair to compare the two. This does indeed sound like good news, though I understand taking a "wait n see" approach.

So, what is the diagnosis ?

With all the medical technology we have now, can they not at least figure out the specific problem Williams is dealing with ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2022, 08:32:23 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The Celtics had given Brodric Thomas a qualifying offer for a 2-way, which he hadn’t yet accepted.  With Kabengele and Davison taking both of the 2-ways, I’m assuming that QO will be rescinded.
How does that work? Was there a time limit on the offer?

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2022, 08:58:07 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413

Love it!! Alway like him & was hoping Celtics would draft him couple years ago..Davidson & Begarin look pretty good..Pritchard better have a good preseason coming up
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2022, 09:25:30 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Love it!! Alway like him & was hoping Celtics would draft him couple years ago..Davidson & Begarin look pretty good..Pritchard better have a good preseason coming up
Many of us really like Pritchard, but does he have a future with this team?  Short PG's don't fit with the C's current defensive plan as they get caught on switches against much taller players.  We already had Kemba and IT and everyone knows how that worked out.

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2022, 09:32:36 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

Many of us really like Pritchard, but does he have a future with this team?  Short PG's don't fit with the C's current defensive plan as they get caught on switches against much taller players.  We already had Kemba and IT and everyone knows how that worked out.

The difference is that Pritchard is a bench guy, not a starter. If Pritchard can come in and shoot at a high rate and hold his own on D for 10-15 minutes a game it's a plus. I hope PP has a good year but I think that we have a lot of guards this year and JD will be breathing down his neck soon.

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2022, 09:33:53 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
How does that work? Was there a time limit on the offer?

The Celtics (or any team) can unilaterally rescind a QO until sometime in the next few days.

It’s also possible that two-way QO’s are treated differently since they’re only guaranteed for $50k.