Author Topic: Miles Bridges was arrested for felony domestic violence in Los Angeles  (Read 10285 times)

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Apologies for not starting a new thread with links when I first made my post in the other thread about it. Was just my initial reaction - saw it on Instagram with images of the police report and images of her injuries. Domestic violence is always reprehensible, but there's something I will never understand about what goes through the head of someone the size of Miles Bridges (6'6", 230lbs) doing this kind of thing. I'm a similar size, and it's always something I'm hyper aware of in even the most mild of disputes.

Beyond the pale for me.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
https://www.yahoo.com/news/nba-star-miles-bridges-wife-054537531.html

Strangulation, concussion etc.

Terrible.  I don’t think he’s getting a deal.

I think we would all hope that a wife beater not be rewarded financially, but unfortunately a lot of these team decisionmakers are pragmatic to the point of being amoral. We've seen it happen a lot in sports, look how many chances Antonio Brown got. Ray Rice, Floyd Mayweather, Jose Canseco, Manny Ramirez, Sheed...the Browns gave Deshaun Watson a $230m contract even though 20 women accused him of sexual assault. It really depends on whether they feel the baggage he would bring with giving a wife beater a $80m contract with this over his head would outweigh his value on the court. They may decide to sit it out while he pleas no-contest and wait till the heat has died down before "rehabilitating" him.

I expect his agent to start the pressure game on his wife to either scare her into withdrawing the charges, or failing that, trying to pay her off. It's not right, but these athletes are given much longer rope than the rest of us. That's why a lot of them never learn about accountability and make the same mistakes over and over again.

Here's a list of athletes that have been charged with domestic violence.

https://www.ranker.com/list/athletes-charged-with-domestic-violence/people-in-sports

I just saw the video of his kid telling (the police?) "Daddy choked mommy" and being all casual about it, like it wasn't a surprise. Heartbreaking. What a disgusting human being. I believe in due process, but let's hope the law actually protects his wife and kids in this case, and let's see if Adam Silver actually has the balls to do something that other sports commissioners did not and suspend Miles until this has been resolved. Evidence is pretty [dang]ing.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I think we would all hope that a wife beater not be rewarded financially, but unfortunately a lot of these team decisionmakers are pragmatic to the point of being amoral. We've seen it happen a lot in sports, look how many chances Antonio Brown got. Ray Rice, Floyd Mayweather, Jose Canseco, Manny Ramirez, Sheed...the Browns gave Deshaun Watson a $230m contract even though 20 women accused him of sexual assault. It really depends on whether they feel the baggage he would bring with giving a wife beater a $80m contract with this over his head would outweigh his value on the court. They may decide to sit it out while he pleas no-contest and wait till the heat has died down before "rehabilitating" him.

I expect his agent to start the pressure game on his wife to either scare her into withdrawing the charges, or failing that, trying to pay her off. It's not right, but these athletes are given much longer rope than the rest of us. That's why a lot of them never learn about accountability and make the same mistakes over and over again.

https://www.ranker.com/list/athletes-charged-with-domestic-violence/people-in-sports

I just saw the video of his kid telling (the police?) "Daddy choked mommy" and being all casual about it, like it wasn't a surprise. Heartbreaking. What a disgusting human being. Let's hope the law actually protects his wife and kids in this case, and let's see if Adam Silver actually has the balls to do something that other sports commissioners did not.
Something about the tone of his partner's (or ex?) post on Instagram about it gave me the feeling that it was a reoccurring thing.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I just saw the video of his kid telling (the police?) "Daddy choked mommy" and being all casual about it, like it wasn't a surprise. Heartbreaking. What a disgusting human being. Let's hope the law actually protects his wife and kids in this case, and let's see if Adam Silver actually has the balls to do something that other sports commissioners did not.
Something about the tone of his partner's (or ex?) post on Instagram about it gave me the feeling that it was a reoccurring thing.

Yeah.  She's probably been dealing with this a long time.  I commend her for coming forward to protect herself and her kids.  I'm sure there were a lot of people telling her to just wait it out, that she'd have a share of $100 million soon.  Others were probably saying that he'd hire the best lawyers and would smear her, taking her kids away in the process.  She chose life, for herself and her kids.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Yeah, the best he's going to do is the qualifying offer, right?  He should probably sign that ASAP.

In an ideal world, he'd be the next Jabari Bird.

Yeah, I can’t imagine he could get more than the QO at this point.  Probably best for him to sign it, get suspended for awhile, but at least get restricted free agency out of the way.

Basketball-wise, I think the Hornets have to hope he doesn’t sign it until past the date where they can withdraw it, but keep him in restricted free agency for next year.  But publicity-wise they might be best off just rescinding it.  They still have his Bird rights to sign him in the future if he can repair himself, but they can’t have this hanging over them.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Yeah this is much worse than it appeared when originally reported.  I still think he ends up with a contract, but this process will need to play out for awhile.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

I just saw the video of his kid telling (the police?) "Daddy choked mommy" and being all casual about it, like it wasn't a surprise. Heartbreaking. What a disgusting human being. I believe in due process, but let's hope the law actually protects his wife and kids in this case, and let's see if Adam Silver actually has the balls to do something that other sports commissioners did not and suspend Miles until this has been resolved. Evidence is pretty [dang]ing.

Just saw the video of the son and all the images of her injuries. She was definitely preparing for this with the photo’s/Videos and it was smart. He’s a POS and should be suspended indefinitely.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Yeah there are obvious differences, but the Deshaun Watson case, now this. YIKES. And what's even worse is that these guys can still get contracts probably and play at some point. Hell, Watson got 230M guaranteed despite all the cases...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Yeah there are obvious differences, but the Deshaun Watson case, now this. YIKES. And what's even worse is that these guys can still get contracts probably and play at some point. Hell, Watson got 230M guaranteed despite all the cases...

True, but Bridges wife has photo’s of injuries sustained from assault, a doctors report stating that the patient sustained injuries from assault and a video of their son stating that his dad choked his mom. Watson is also a POS, but unfortunately none of his accusers had this sort of ammunition to use in court. Hopefully Silver makes an example out of Miles.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Yeah this is much worse than it appeared when originally reported.  I still think he ends up with a contract, but this process will need to play out for awhile.
On the basketball side of things ...

This could be great for Charlotte because they were about to vastly overpay Bridges. He is a good starter but he is no star level player but he scored 20ppg so he was about to paid like a star and it was going to ruin CHA's cap.

So for CHA's sake, hopefully they get spooked and refuse to give him all that money. Save themselves from themselves. Bridges was never worth what he was looking for. He was only going to get it because of how badly run CHA is.

Bridges bball wise is worth $18-22mil per rather than a max or close to max deal.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
The photos look awful. 

Miles is a scumbag.  Hope he gets his comeuppance.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

True, but Bridges wife has photo’s of injuries sustained from assault, a doctors report stating that the patient sustained injuries from assault and a video of their son stating that his dad choked his mom. Watson is also a POS, but unfortunately none of his accusers had this sort of ammunition to use in court. Hopefully Silver makes an example out of Miles.

Yeah, I'm definitely not trying to draw comparisons or anything, just pointing out that there is a lot of bad stuff happening with athletes in all sports it seems nowadays and it's definitely extremely disturbing to see. You also have the Ruggs incident, etc.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
On the basketball side of things ...

This could be great for Charlotte because they were about to vastly overpay Bridges. He is a good starter but he is no star level player but he scored 20ppg so he was about to paid like a star and it was going to ruin CHA's cap.

So for CHA's sake, hopefully they get spooked and refuse to give him all that money. Save themselves from themselves. Bridges was never worth what he was looking for. He was only going to get it because of how badly run CHA is.

Bridges bball wise is worth $18-22mil per rather than a max or close to max deal.
Yep and it also might sink the Lakers hopes of dumping Westbrook off on them for future salary relief.  Hornets still should consider a general framework of Hayward + Rozier for Westbrook, but it isn't as necessary if they aren't paying Bridges.

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Additionally, while the police investigated Watson, I'm pretty sure he was never charged.  Bridges has been arrested and charged with a felony, and at least the early indication is that his accuser is unlikely to relent.  Convictions are a lot more difficult to wave away than civil suits, and they carry with them the likelihood the player won't even be available to perform, regardless of league discipline.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Additionally, while the police investigated Watson, I'm pretty sure he was never charged.  Bridges has been arrested and charged with a felony, and at least the early indication is that his accuser is unlikely to relent.  Convictions are a lot more difficult to wave away than civil suits, and they carry with them the likelihood the player won't even be available to perform, regardless of league discipline.
There is also a big difference between beating the crap out of someone and perhaps pressuring someone into voluntarily getting you off.  Out of all of the Watson lawsuits, only 2 sought criminal charges and they were dropped at the grand jury stage (which means there is basically no evidence of a crime).  If they can't even get past a grand jury, then it just doesn't rise to the level of crime.  Sure Watson is a creepy perv, but it doesn't make him a criminal.