Author Topic: Red Sox 2022  (Read 37344 times)

Re: Red Sox 2022
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2022, 04:23:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Big Papi, David Ortiz echoing what I've been saying for quite some time: Pay Rafael Devers and make him a Red Sox player for a very long time

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34243347/david-ortiz-says-boston-red-sox-keep-rafael-devers-long-term-deal-touts-all-star-3b-face-organization

David Ortiz has touted the talents of Rafael Devers for a few years now, and if it's up to the new Hall of Famer, the star third baseman will remain with the Boston Red Sox for a very long time.

"As a fan, watching the game, you always expect him to come through," Ortiz said Thursday in advance of next week's Hall of Fame induction ceremonies in Cooperstown, New York. "I hope the Red Sox make sense about the decision they have to make about him.

"We've got to keep Devers around. It's the face of that organization, as of right now. Nobody can argue that."

Devers has one year of arbitration eligibility left after this season before becoming eligible for free agency. If Devers and his representatives are unable to agree to a long-term contract with the Red Sox, the two-time All-Star could become a trade candidate, following in the footsteps of former Red Sox MVP Mookie Betts.

Please, BoSox management, do not "Mookie Betts" Devers. Pay the man.

I actually feel confident they keep Devers, but Bogaerts sadly seems gone. And deep down I think Bogaerts knows this too.

I will say this though. IF the Red Sox don't keep Devers and he gets traded, I'm boycotting them for a long, long time. It'd be INEXCUSABLE not to keep him. And the fanbase will rightfully rip the Red Sox for it and I'm sure it'd show in the crowd numbers and such beyond 2023 if they let Devers go
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2022, 04:26:24 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
Must keep Raffy.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2022, 04:34:01 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Big Papi, David Ortiz echoing what I've been saying for quite some time: Pay Rafael Devers and make him a Red Sox player for a very long time

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34243347/david-ortiz-says-boston-red-sox-keep-rafael-devers-long-term-deal-touts-all-star-3b-face-organization

David Ortiz has touted the talents of Rafael Devers for a few years now, and if it's up to the new Hall of Famer, the star third baseman will remain with the Boston Red Sox for a very long time.

"As a fan, watching the game, you always expect him to come through," Ortiz said Thursday in advance of next week's Hall of Fame induction ceremonies in Cooperstown, New York. "I hope the Red Sox make sense about the decision they have to make about him.

"We've got to keep Devers around. It's the face of that organization, as of right now. Nobody can argue that."

Devers has one year of arbitration eligibility left after this season before becoming eligible for free agency. If Devers and his representatives are unable to agree to a long-term contract with the Red Sox, the two-time All-Star could become a trade candidate, following in the footsteps of former Red Sox MVP Mookie Betts.

Please, BoSox management, do not "Mookie Betts" Devers. Pay the man.

Devers hits for power and average, plus he’s only 25. He’s worth signing to an 8-10 year deal. Bogarts on the other hand, I’m not so sure about. He’s 30 and is on pace for a 15HR and 80RBI season. Average is solid, but that’s not a whole lot of production.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2022, 07:13:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Juan Soto just turned down a 15 year, $440 million contract. Basically $30 million a year until he is 40 years old. It would have been the biggest contract in MLB history.

Rafael Devers is the same age as Soto, beats him in a number of career numbers and is trending as a better overall player. Will the Sox give him a $400 million offer? Should they?

I say they should. The Sox invested in the wrong guy a couple years back. They should have retained Mookie Betts and let Chris Sale walk. History shows, they would have been better off given availability alone. They can't make the same mistake with Devers that they did with Betts.

« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2022, 07:25:55 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
Juan Soto just turned down a 15 year, $440 million contract. Basically $30 million a year until he is 40 years old. It would have been the biggest contract in MLB history.

Rafael Devers is the same age as Soto, beats him in a number of career numbers and is trending as a better overall player. Will the Sox give him a $400 million offer? Should they?

I say they should. The Sox invested in the wrong guy a couple years back. They should have retained Mookie Betts and let Chris Sale walk. History shows, they would have been better off given availability alone. They can't make the same mistake with Devers that they did with Betts.

Not that it really matters that much, Devers will be 26 in Oct. and Soto will be 24 in Oct.  Sox must sign Devers.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2022, 08:42:13 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

Not that it really matters that much, Devers will be 26 in Oct. and Soto will be 24 in Oct.  Sox must sign Devers.

That does matter. One guy would be finishing a 15 year contract and still be in his 30’s, while the other would not.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2022, 08:33:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
First start back and Chris Sale breaks his pinkie on a comebacker to the mound. Rest of season probably in jeopardy.

Sigh.

« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2022, 08:46:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
First start back and Chris Sale breaks his pinkie on a comebacker to the mound. Rest of season probably in jeopardy.

Sigh.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2022, 12:09:35 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I told some of my fellow Sox fans in recent weeks to not get too excited about Sale's return, as it was just a matter of time before he got hurt again. Between this and Boston's inability to beat good division rivals, this season is pretty much over, for all intents and purposes. So glad they extended Sale and traded Betts.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2022, 08:49:44 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I told some of my fellow Sox fans in recent weeks to not get too excited about Sale's return, as it was just a matter of time before he got hurt again. Between this and Boston's inability to beat good division rivals, this season is pretty much over, for all intents and purposes. So glad they extended Sale and traded Betts.

I get that guys are more susceptible to injuries when they get older, but man, Sale just has bad luck, too.

I can't speak with any level of insight regarding the MLB draft, but reports are that for the second year in a row the Sox are "under-drafting" prospects in some of the high rounds, to save slot money for later picks that may fall due to signability issues?  Does this strategy make sense?  Are we ending up with the best player available, or something lesser?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2022, 11:03:41 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
MLB draft is such a crapshoot. 18 year olds vs 22 year olds and it’s so hard to predict how quickly a player will work his way through the minors. Some were bummed out by the Nick Yorke pick (to your point about getting “lesser” talent), but he has fared better than some of the guys that were higher prospects. It comes down to a scout’s view of a player, and there’s little consensus on this process.

I’m choosing to defer to Bloom’s expertise (and his scouting team). They know a lot more than I do about these guys, and have proven us wrong before.

« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2022, 11:11:22 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
MLB draft is such a crapshoot. 18 year olds vs 22 year olds and it’s so hard to predict how quickly a player will work his way through the minors. Some were bummed out by the Nick Yorke pick (to your point about getting “lesser” talent), but he has fared better than some of the guys that were higher prospects. It comes down to a scout’s view of a player, and there’s little consensus on this process.

I’m choosing to defer to Bloom’s expertise (and his scouting team). They know a lot more than I do about these guys, and have proven us wrong before.
Yeah, let's not forget that Mookie Betts was a 5th Rounder and Devers was signed as a 16 year old.

Draft position in baseball isn't always the best indicator of future success, maybe more than any other American sport.

« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2022, 11:16:23 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

I get that guys are more susceptible to injuries when they get older, but man, Sale just has bad luck, too.

I can't speak with any level of insight regarding the MLB draft, but reports are that for the second year in a row the Sox are "under-drafting" prospects in some of the high rounds, to save slot money for later picks that may fall due to signability issues?  Does this strategy make sense?  Are we ending up with the best player available, or something lesser?

That’s a pretty common strategy.  Essentially it lets you give more bonus money to some lower drafted prospects, who might be of higher-caliber but slid due to their own signability concerns.  If you save in rounds one and two, you might be able to draft some guys in rounds 9 and 10 with third round grades and entice them to sign with an above-slot bonus.  So rather than get a 1st and 2nd rounder with their first two picks, they might get a second rounder and third rounder, but then also get a couple of third rounders a bit later.  The MLB draft is a huge crap shoot outside about the top 5-10 picks that this is pretty reasonable.

« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2022, 11:24:14 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

That’s a pretty common strategy.  Essentially it lets you give more bonus money to some lower drafted prospects, who might be of higher-caliber but slid due to their own signability concerns.  If you save in rounds one and two, you might be able to draft some guys in rounds 9 and 10 with third round grades and entice them to sign with an above-slot bonus.  So rather than get a 1st and 2nd rounder with their first two picks, they might get a second rounder and third rounder, but then also get a couple of third rounders a bit later.  The MLB draft is a huge crap shoot outside about the top 5-10 picks that this is pretty reasonable.

That's what I don't understand.  It seems like you're giving up better players in the 1st and 2nd, so that you'll get a shot to sign a 3rd rounder later.

I think that 1st + 2nd + 9th is better than 2nd + 3rd + 3rd.  I'm skeptical that two third rounders is as good as a 1st rounder and a 9th rounder.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2022, 11:34:44 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

That's what I don't understand.  It seems like you're giving up better players in the 1st and 2nd, so that you'll get a shot to sign a 3rd rounder later.

I think that 1st + 2nd + 9th is better than 2nd + 3rd + 3rd.  I'm skeptical that two third rounders is as good as a 1st rounder and a 9th rounder.

It depends a bit, of course, but the difference between the Sox slot value at #24 and the first pick of the second round is $1 million.  $1 million is about double the bonus of a third rounder, so you’re picking a guy only 10-15 spots earlier than projected.

If there’s a player who you really like that falls in the first, you can do it the other way too.  Say there’s someone in the top 10 who falls to 24 — you pick him and then under draft on some of the later spots to free up more money for your first rounder.  But generally the perception in baseball is that slot values from about picks 15-60 are too high, so you pre-negotiate with some players who aren’t going to demand slot value so you can try to get some guys who fell later in the draft.  The Sox might pick a guy who they rate essentially the same as another player, but who’s willing to take $500k less of a bonus.